Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all - I have just recently purchased a 2001 2.0 GLX HDI (90bhp, I believe) and have a few noddy questions....sorry

I got the cat with no service history and have done a lot of digging around from Garages in Inverness (Fraser Gilbert and Arnold Clark).

One repair invoice states the ANC CONTROL B was replaced on 82k miles and Arnold Clark refer to a "replaced BSI". Is this the same thing?
The Arnold Clark invoice is £591 in total so I suspect a electronic part of some kind. I was unable to search on BSI or ANC so any comments appreciated.

Also without any ability to get information from previous owners I will need to assume that the cambelt needs done as it is now on 106k?

I also have a strange "drone" from the top of the engine but this is only when the A/C system is off. When I put it to Auto the noise stops or is very much less frequent.

The car was in a bit of a state when I bought it but took a chance cause I got it cheap knowing I would need some form of repairs/servicing.

I also had to get the engine undertray removed as was in several pieces held up by cable ties and I ended up being a snow plough as it dropped driving into work.

It is a bit "blue smokey" on occasions (when dropping a gear for example) and am concerned I may have got a lemon.

I am going to write to all previous owners for "standard" history as there is no evidence of fluid changes but the filters etc look to have been changed and the MOT history suggests that work has been done on brakes/driveshafts as failures have turned into passes.

Any comments very much appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
aasgmhill said:
Hi all - I have just recently purchased a 2001 2.0 GLX HDI (90bhp, I believe) and have a few noddy questions....sorry

I got the cat with no service history and have done a lot of digging around from Garages in Inverness (Fraser Gilbert and Arnold Clark).

One repair invoice states the ANC CONTROL B was replaced on 82k miles and Arnold Clark refer to a "replaced BSI". Is this the same thing?
The Arnold Clark invoice is £591 in total so I suspect a electronic part of some kind. I was unable to search on BSI or ANC so any comments appreciated.

Also without any ability to get information from previous owners I will need to assume that the cambelt needs done as it is now on 106k?

I also have a strange "drone" from the top of the engine but this is only when the A/C system is off. When I put it to Auto the noise stops or is very much less frequent.

The car was in a bit of a state when I bought it but took a chance cause I got it cheap knowing I would need some form of repairs/servicing.

I also had to get the engine undertray removed as was in several pieces held up by cable ties and I ended up being a snow plough as it dropped driving into work.

It is a bit "blue smokey" on occasions (when dropping a gear for example) and am concerned I may have got a lemon.

I am going to write to all previous owners for "standard" history as there is no evidence of fluid changes but the filters etc look to have been changed and the MOT history suggests that work has been done on brakes/driveshafts as failures have turned into passes.

Any comments very much appreciated.
Pretty sure BSI stands for built in systems interface.
It controls functions such as your lights etc and is essentially the fuse box in the glove box too

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps others on the board could confirm this and perhaps provide advice on my other questions too?

I have found that the car originally came from Inverness (Dingwall, Teal, Conan Bridge) before travelling south to Dunfermline to the previous owner before I bought it.

My VIN is **** with Engine number ****.

Any reports that forum users can produce on the car would be gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
aasgmhill-

Vehicle family 307
AS RPO No 08969 89 1 0045
Warranty Start Date 31/07/2001
Engine serial number 10 DYDR 3033714
Gearbox serial number 20 DL50 3438342
BER e2*98/14*0245*00
General information
PRODUCT TYPE CAR
COMMERCIAL MARQUE/COMPONENT TYPE PEUGEOT
VEHICLE FAMILY 307
SILHOUETTE 5 DOOR SALOON
TRIM LEVEL XT PACK
ENGINE TURBO DIESEL DW10TD
TRANSMISSION BVM5
PAINT TYPE METALLIC PAINTWORK
BODY COLOUR CHINA BLUE PAINT
INTERIOR TRIM TYPE LIDURGA VELOUR + NP MISTECO
UPHOLSTERY COLOUR FC
GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS) BE4-5L MANUAL GEARBOX
ENGINE (TYPE) EW/DW
OTHER BADGE, " MISC. " WITHOUT FULLER BADGE
BADGE HDI

Vehicle characteristics
TRIM LEVEL XT PACK
PAINT TYPE METALLIC PAINTWORK
BODY COLOUR CHINA BLUE PAINT
UPHOLSTERY COLOUR FC
STEERING VARIABLE POWER STEERING
SPEEDOMETER DRIVE W/O TACHO TORQUE

Engine supply
ENGINE TURBO DIESEL DW10TD
DIESEL FILTER WATER DETECTOR WITHOUT DIESEL FILTER WATER DETECTOR
CYLINDER BLOCK (MATERIAL) CRANKCASE CAST IRON
FUEL DIESEL FUEL
EMISSIONS STANDARD (ENGINE) EEC 2000 DEPOLL (ENGINE)
ENGINE (TYPE) EW/DW
CATALYTIC CONVERTER 3 PARTS CATALYST
OIL COOLER MNTG WATER/OIL EXCHANGER ON ENGINE
CRANKCASE GAS CIRCUIT HEATING W/O HEATER CASING GAS CIRCUIT
EOBD SELF-DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM WITHOUT EOBD AUTO-DIAGNOSTIC
DEVICE (ANTIPOLLUTION) EGR EXHAUST GAS RECYCLING
VEHICLE TECHNICAL DEPOLLUTION L4 VEHICLE TECHNICAL DEPOLLUTION
PARTICLE FILTER WITHOUT PARTICLE FILTER
FAN 1 FAN 2 SPEEDS IMPROVED 400W
FUEL VAPOUR RETRIEVAL WITHOUT PETROL VAPOUR RECUPERATION
INJECTION ASSOCIATED VARIANT SIEMENS ASSEMBLY

Gearbox Transmission
TRANSMISSION BVM5
FINAL DRIVE RATIO REAR AXLE HYPOID GEARSET 19 X 75
SPEEDOMETER DRIVE W/O TACHO TORQUE
WHEEL STYLE STEEL WHEEL
DIFFERENTIAL (GEARBOX) DIFFERENTIAL 84
TYRE (SIZE, TYPE) 195X65X15 H TYRES
WHEELS FITTED 6" RIM ROAD WHEELS
WHEEL (TYPE) STEEL WHEELS
GEARBOX TYPE GEARBOX BE4R

Suspension-Steering-Brakes
ABS WITH ABS BRAKES
STEERING VARIABLE POWER STEERING
BRAKE TYPE VENTILATED FRONT DISCS/REAR DISCS
SUSPENSION NORMAL SUSPENSION
DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM WITHOUT ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM
BRAKE ASSOCIATED VARIANT ABS BOSCH 5 3

Bodywork Equipment
TOWBAR WITHOUT TOWBAR
HORNS HORNS-HARMONY
AERIAL SHORT ROOF AERIAL
SIDE MOULDINGS (TYPE) LATERAL PROTECTOR MASS TINTED
SIDE MOULDINGS (DIMENSION) SIDELAMPS
WHEEL EMBELLISHER (STYLE) 15 INCH OCEAN STYLE WITH 8 OPENINGS
REVERSING LAMPS WITH 1 REVERSING LAMP
ADDITIONAL SHIELD (UNDER ENGINE) W/O ENGINE UNDERSHELDING
EXT. REARVIEW MIRROR COMP. FUNCTION EXT MIRROR MANUAL-FOLD BACK
EXHAUST TAILPIPE TRIM W/O EXHAUST OUTLET EMBELLISHER
WINDSCREEN WIPER FRONT WIPER BLADE WITH RAIN SENSOR
REAR SCREEN WIPER REAR SCREEN WIPER
HEADLAMP WIPER W/O HEADLAMP WIPER
FRONT PANEL BLANK WITH RH BLANK (SHORT)
ROOF GLASS WITHOUT ROOF WINDOW
BUMPER BUMPERS COLOUR-COORDINATED WITH BODY SINCE MOD2000
MUDFLAP WITHOUT REAR MUDGUARD
FRONT FOGLAMP FRONT FOG LIGHTS
EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR (DRIVER SIDE) DRIVER'S DOOR MIRROR ELECTRIC CONTROL
EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR (PASSENGER SIDE) PASS EXT RRVIEW MIRROR NON HEATED ELECT CNTRL
SPARE WHEEL STEEL WHEEL + STANDARD TYRE
EXTERIOR ACCESSORIES BODY COLOUR HANDLES + MIRRORS
REAR SCREEN WASH REAR SCREEN WASH
SUN ROOF FIXED ROOF
BUMPER TRIM DYED BUMPER STRIP
GLASS (APPEARANCE) TINTED
REAR QUARTER WINDOW (TYPE) WITHOUT REAR QUARTER GLASS

Interior Equipment
ANTI-THEFT ALARM WITHOUT THEFT PROTECTION ALARM
REAR HEAD RESTRAINT REAR HEADREST ADJUSTABLE
FRONT HEAD RESTRAINT JOINTED FRONT HEADREST
REAR SEAT SEPARATE FOLD BACK BENCH SEAT
SUPPLEMENTARY SEAT WITHOUT SUPPLEMENTARY SEAT POSITN
REAR SEAT ARMREST WITH REAR ARMREST
LOAD FLOOR MOULDING WITHOUT LOAD FLOOR STRIP
LUGGAGE COVER WITH LUGGAGE COVER
REAR SEATBELT REAR 3-POINT 3 INERTIA REEL SEAT BELT
FRONT SEATBELT PYROTECHNIC SEAT BELT WITH ALARM
CLIMATE (AMBIENT TEMP) TEMPERATE COUNTRIES
SPEED GRADUATIONS GRADUATION MPH
RADIO EQUIPMENT FEED AERIAL RECEIV FRT SPEAKER TWT REAR SPEAKER
DRIVING POSITION RIGHT HAND DRIVE
ADDITIONAL HEATING AUTOMATIC ADDITIONAL HEATING
DASHBOARD EQUIPMENT STANDARD DASHBOARD + WOOD DECOR PANEL
INT. TRIM AND EQUIPMENT VARIATION STANDARD INTERIOR EQUIPMENT DRESSING
LOUDSPEAKER ASSEMBLY 2 FT SPEAKERS+2 FT TWEETERS+2 RR SPEAKERS
RADIO CONTROLS REMOTE RADIO CONTROL + CD FUNCTION
SCREENING (BLIND, SIDE SUNBLIND, SUNROOF) WITHOUT REAR BLIND
FRONT PASSENGER SEAT HEIGHT CONTROL PARALLEL ADJUSTMENT SPACER
DRIVER SEAT ADJUSTMENT WITHOUT DRIVER'S LUMBER AND SIDE SUPPORTS
FRONT PASSENGER SEAT ADJUSTMENT WITHOUT PASSENGER'S SIDE AND LUMBAR SUPPORTS
DRIVER'S SEAT FOLDING W/O FOLDING DRIV FRONT SEATING
FRONT PASSENGER SEAT FOLDING W/O FOLDING PASS FRONT SEATING
FRONT SEAT ARMREST FITTED WITH ARMREST
EXTERIOR TEMP. INDICATOR EXT TEMP INDICATOR
COMPACT DISC MOUNTING COMPACT DISC
STOWAGE BIN WITHOUT SETTING BOX
SATELLITE NAVIGATION SYSTEM WITHOUT NAVIGATION SYSTEM
REAR WINDOW LIFT MAN CTRL REAR WINDOW LIFTER
DRIVER'S WINDOW LIFT SEQUENTIAL DRIVER'S ELECTRIC WINDOW
PASSENGER'S WINDOW LIFT SEQUEN CONTROL PASSENG FRONT WINDOW LIFTER
DISPLAY DISPLAY (RADIO+CLOCK AND OR TEMP, CD)
COURTESY MIRROR DRIVER'S + PASSENGER'S CONCEALABLE WITH LIGHT
OIL GAUGE STD OIL LEVEL INDICATOR
FITTING REAR HEAD RESTRAINT MOUNT 3 REAR HEAD-REST
HEATING ELEMENT NON HEATED SEAT
FRONT LATERAL AIRBAG THORAX SIDE + CURTAIN AIRBAG
PASSENGER AIRBAG PASSENGER AIRBAG
ELECTRIC WINDOW (OPERATION) DRIVER + PASSENGER ELECTRIC WINDOW AUTO STOP
ON-BOARD COMPUTER COMPUTER
EQUIPMENT PACK W/O EQUIPMENT PACK
EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR (HEATED) HEATED DOOR MIRROR
AIRBAG DEACTIVATION MANUAL AIRBAG DEACTIVATION
FRONT SEAT GUARD WITHOUT CAB PROTECTION PANEL
STORAGE (DRIVING POSITION) ROOF PANEL FRONT CONSOLE STORAGE COMPARTMENT
RADIO RECEIVER RB3 RDS CASSETTE AUDIO SYSTEM
REFRIGERATION AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
CRUISE CONTROL WITHOUT SPEED CONTROL
DRIVER'S SEAT HEIGHT CONTROL PARALLEL DRV HEIGHT ADJ
INTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR DAY -NIGHT INNER REAR MIRROR
DRIVER AIRBAG DRIVERS AIR BAG
LOAD SPACE STORAGE WITH BOOT TIDY
OBSTACLE DETECTION SYSTEM WITHOUT OBSTACLE DETECTOR
TRIM ADAPTATION WITHOUT MOULDING ADAPTATION
FLOOR MAT WITHOUT MAT
LOCKING CONTROL CENTRAL DEAD LOCKING
REAR QUARTER WINDOW (TYPE) WITHOUT REAR QUARTER GLASS
STEERING WHEEL RUBBER STEERING WHEEL 3 BRANCH
FAN 1 FAN 2 SPEEDS IMPROVED 400W
DRIVER'S KNEE AIRBAG WITHOUT DRIVER'S KNEE AIRBAG

Electricity
ALTERNATOR ALTERNATOR 150 AMP
HORNS HORNS-HARMONY
BATTERY BATTERY L2 400
STARTER MOTOR STARTER MOTOR CL 5
SPECIAL LIGHTING AUTOMATIC HEADLAMP ILLUMINATION
REVERSING LAMPS WITH 1 REVERSING LAMP
EXT. REARVIEW MIRROR COMP. FUNCTION EXT MIRROR MANUAL-FOLD BACK
FRONT FOGLAMP FRONT FOG LIGHTS

Component manufacturers
BRAKE ASSOCIATED VARIANT ABS BOSCH 5 3
INJECTION ASSOCIATED VARIANT SIEMENS ASSEMBLY

Various
SPECIAL SPECIFICATION STANDARD
ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS NORMAL ATMOSPHERE
DRIVING POSITION RIGHT HAND DRIVE
RADIO HEADPHONE SOCKET WITH ACCESSORIES SOCKET
TRAFFIC SIDE LEFT HAND DRIVE
SIDE IMPACTS DOOR WITHOUT REINFORCEMENT
SET OF KEYS 2 HF PLIP KEYS
EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT W/O HELP EQUIPMENT
SURFACE CONDITIONS GOOD TERRAIN
EXTERIOR ACCESSORIES BODY COLOUR HANDLES + MIRRORS
SPEED MONITORING WITHOUT SPEED CHECK

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bettyswollocks - Thanks for the details on the car - much appreciated.

I did notice this morning a lot of blue smoke in low gears therefore suspect I could have a few internal issues with the engine.

I am going to get my mechanic to have a look but it doesn't fill me with confidence at the moment.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We had a look a the car further yesterday and there was a lot of air in the fuel. We have changed the fuel filter and also the air filter as it was very dirty and it has improved a little. I will run it this week to see if the blue smoke is still present before deciding what to do next.
It is also due a cambelt change but this will cost me £180 all in to get done. As I don't know the history I would feel better doing it, just in case.
I will need to sort the blue smoke issue first though if it returns after the filter changes.
I am also going to get it hooked up to diags to see if we can find out whats going on.
It still toils in 4th gear around 30-35 mph and feels like it is maybe overfuelling.

G

·
I suspect that at the price quoted the all important bottom pulley won't be replaced?

Have you tried a good solid Italian Tune Up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic asked me to get a Cambelt kit, including the pulley/tensioners and he will do the job for £120. He thought around £60 for the kit?

What is the italian tune or I am being stupid??

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Bottom pulley £50 alone , my opinion i don`t change them unless they are making a noise , now saying that the right thing to do is change it when doing the rest, its purely financial with me i`ve only ever had to change one between two 307`s with 350,000 between them, but my cars are just tools of my trade and i clock on average 1000 miles a week on my 307 so the length of time i spend in my car i can hear every noise change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on the blue smoke on low revs and gears I think I may be better getting this resolved first. There are still air bubbles in the fuel pipes so I may have a leak elsewhere. Any ideas on both items?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Smoke coming from the tailpipe is not good news, but does not necessarily mean the engine needs rebuilding. First, you need to determine what color of smoke is coming from the tailpipe. The three most common colors of smoke that can be emitted from the engine and billow from the tailpipe are as follows:

White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.

How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder. Black Smoke: Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.

How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine's is deffo blue smoke at low revs and gears. Even when I tick over and open the revs a little there is a lot from the rear. Increasing revs gradually emits more until higher revs. At higher revs and gears it's not as evident. Also when driving in lower gears I get a hesitation and then a blip of blue smoke from the rear.
I will need to get my mech to advise as, just now, It's only got 106k but doesn;gt seem to be losing oil. I had to put a litre in it when I first got it and got the proper grade. Maybe it had thicker oil before, I don't know.
Another look at the weekend with my mech and another mate's diag machine will hopefully diagnose it.

G

·
aasgmhill said:
Mine's is deffo blue smoke at low revs and gears. Even when I tick over and open the revs a little there is a lot from the rear. Increasing revs gradually emits more until higher revs. At higher revs and gears it's not as evident. Also when driving in lower gears I get a hesitation and then a blip of blue smoke from the rear. I will need to get my mech to advise as, just now, It's only got 106k but doesn;gt seem to be losing oil. I had to put a litre in it when I first got it and got the proper grade. Maybe it had thicker oil before, I don't know. Another look at the weekend with my mech and another mate's diag machine will hopefully diagnose it.
Those symptoms sound like a possible turbo failure. Ain't no diagnostic machine gonna suss that if it is.

G

·
White smoke is water.

Black or dark gray smoke is fuel.

Blue smoke is invariably oil.

If the oil seal has failed within the tubby it'll be pumping oil back into the combustion chamber, hence blue smoke.

I'm in 2 minds. The tubbies on the are genuinely robust unless some chav has been dicking with the boost, but on the other hand the symptoms you describe fit tubby failure perfectly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the calrification.

I'll have to get my mech to check it all out. Is the turbo easy enough to get at to get the hoses off to check the in/out and side/side movement or is it a disassembly of a lot of components first?
I wouldn;t have thought that it would have been tampered with although withour knowing the history I don;t know.
I can certainly feel the turbo kicking in so I presumed because of the smoke normally only in lower gears it indicated more of a cylinder / seal issue.
If I have put in a little too much oil (I added a litre to make it to the max and it does seem to be a touch over the max line) would this cause the same issue?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My mech has advised me to get a new fuel housing due to the air still in the pipes.
If I need to get him to check the turbo's lateral and shaft movement is it easy to get to??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bettyswollocks said:
Bottom pulley £50 alone , my opinion i don`t change them unless they are making a noise.
Do you know the part number for the bottom pulley as I have seen a few tensoiners/pulleys on ebay but want to make sure I get the right thing....
I have one of the pulleys&plate around the fan belt moving and making a bit if a noise on idle (which stops moving when revved). Is this the same thing?
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.