Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
l've got an R reg petrol 2 litre 16v peugeot 406 car.my cam belt snapped and it was taken to a mechanic.he told me all 16 valves were bent.he sent the head off to be skimmed and almost 2 weeks later l got it back.aftre paying for he work to be done he gave me the oil filter and told me to go back to him in approx 6 weeks time for him to do an oil change and put anti freeze in my radiator.

l then took it down to the MOT garage where l was told it wasn't firing on all 4 cylinders,it failed.l got intouch with the mechanic and ook the car back to him where he said there could be lots of reasons,a crack in the head,problem with buckets,sticking valve,also that it could cost me more money if he had to strip the head down again,so l decided to not leave the car with him.l got 2 other mechanics to strip it down and they found only 6 replaced new valves,one new head gasket,the rest he had used silicone on instead of gaskets,some of the silicone had gone into the cylinder head and blocked the airways,plus the head hadn't been skimmed.so now l have to pay for the parts again.do you think l should get intouch with trading standards and is it normal to do an oil change 6 weeks after fixing the cylinder head???:(

·
Registered
862 Posts
dippy said:
hi,
l've got an R reg petrol 2 litre 16v peugeot 406 car.my cam belt snapped and it was taken to a mechanic.he told me all 16 valves were bent.he sent the head off to be skimmed and almost 2 weeks later l got it back.aftre paying for he work to be done he gave me the oil filter and told me to go back to him in approx 6 weeks time for him to do an oil change and put anti freeze in my radiator.

l then took it down to the MOT garage where l was told it wasn't firing on all 4 cylinders,it failed.l got intouch with the mechanic and ook the car back to him where he said there could be lots of reasons,a crack in the head,problem with buckets,sticking valve,also that it could cost me more money if he had to strip the head down again,so l decided to not leave the car with him.l got 2 other mechanics to strip it down and they found only 6 replaced new valves,one new head gasket,the rest he had used silicone on instead of gaskets,some of the silicone had gone into the cylinder head and blocked the airways,plus the head hadn't been skimmed.so now l have to pay for the parts again.do you think l should get intouch with trading standards and is it normal to do an oil change 6 weeks after fixing the cylinder head???:(
Think you should get in touch with him with a scaffolding pole. I would go to citzens advice,you have payed for work that has not been done,further more the work he has done has caused you further expense and inconvenience.Its down to you on how far you want pursue this alleged mechanic i.e through the courts if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the moose said:
Think you should get in touch with him with a scaffolding pole. I would go to citzens advice,you have payed for work that has not been done,further more the work he has done has caused you further expense and inconvenience.Its down to you on how far you want pursue this alleged mechanic i.e through the courts if needed.
hahah, would if l was a fella but l'm not.just a woman l'm afraid and my bf at the time recommended him to me....hence the split up with bf.! there were also bolts missing and spark plugs and other bolts not put in tight enough.he also put twin spark plugs in it!! he is a class 1 dip stick,so yes l'm making afew enquiries as soon as l can about where l stand legally.what makes the situation worse is that when x bf took the car to him l wanted a price b4 work was done but x bf didn't pass message on and it was afew days b4 l got the mechanics number from someone else to be told the price.had l of been given a price beforehand then l would of for a reconditioned engine instead...or possibly a different car.mind you there is always rogue traders lmao??? hmmm

·
Registered
862 Posts
Good luck with whatever choose to do reguarding this idiot (family forum have to be polite) keep us up to date wth your progress please,we will be pleased to help in whatever way we can. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your support.the head was sent to be skimmed today and they found 5 bent inlet valves and have confirmed only 8 new valves had been put it.they also do not want to get involved in any disputes...unfortunately.l have spoken to the mechanic who did my car and he said the inlet valves are a different colour to the outlet valves,that one lot is shiny metal and the other are more a slate colour.its a case of who to believe l guess,so l'll take my chances with the ones who have skimmed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very true.the mechanic rang me today as he had heard l'd told people he had ripped me off.l've given him chance to put his hands up and admit he was at fault and pay my money back but he is having none of it.so l'll have to see what trading standards have to say and hope l have got a case.

thanks for the support

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi moose plus anyone who has read the thread but not replied yet haha,
l'm getting 170 quid back off mechanic to cover the cost of the parts,so l'll put it down to experience and not go there again

·
Registered
862 Posts
dippy said:
hi moose plus anyone who has read the thread but not replied yet haha,
l'm getting 170 quid back off mechanic to cover the cost of the parts,so l'll put it down to experience and not go there again

Better than nothing and an admission of guilt by the looks of it. Would still go to trading standards though might stop him from ripping someone else off. thanks for the update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts