Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may not be allowed to post as not strictly peugeot but think i may get better advice on here.
had the chain tensioner break on my car, so got it all apart and need to test compression. So need to know if its ok to turn it over on the starter with no oil in as the chain cover is off and oil drained. Timing is spot on and hand cranking is to slow for readings.
please delete if thread is not suitable in here.

·
2,290 Posts
Hi...I've moved your question to a 'maintenence 'forum as is not peugeot specific...but as to your question i would say yes to turning over for comp testing..but not for long

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
You need oil in engine to get proper compression readings as the oil actually helps lubricate and seal the bores cranking it dry will damage the bores and rings

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but just a quick flick over on each pot be ok just to see if any pressure?
problem is, to put the oil in is alot of work to put the cover back on including liquid gasketing it all and then it may need to come off again.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Assuning you have just drained the oil, and not rebuilt things totally dry, there should be enough oil around to allow a quick check.
However it is rare for a timing chain to go and not damage a valve.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It went on startup on the starter motor, have read i get 2 teeth worth of play and looking at it the tensioner slack gives that at most, as the timing chain has not slipped i am crossing my fingers, getting up to 25psi hand cranking on 3 pots but the other pot only gives a little so need to try it on starter.
just waiting for new tensioner at the moment.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do a leak down test, that will tell you everything you need to know without having to crank a dry motor over.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
havnt got the kit unfortunately, but think i will just test the one low pot for a couple of seconds, if i get any joy i will put the case back on and fill with oil.

still waiting for the tensioner, always the same, when you need something fast the postman walks by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts