Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a 308 hdi sport 1.6
i wanted to know what faults/common problems to look out for.

I want a 7 seater,but have found not all of them have them,can the extra 2 seats fit in all of them or not?

How reliable are they? and what mileage should cambelt be done?

·
12,095 Posts
The 308 section should show you the common faults.

Personally I wouldn't go for an early model, get something later if you can because all the bugs the new owners found with a new car will have been ironed out! This was certainly the case for the 306 and 307. :)

I had an ex-308 owner come to buy my 307 last year. He was looking for a late 307 but spent a bit more on an early 308 and it was nothing but trouble, so he got shut and went for the 307 instead!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice one gibbo..........if the 308 has done 100k im sure the bugs be ironed out,dont you think?

·
12,095 Posts
I'm thinking more about design faults. Take the 307 for example, early models used a colour of paint in the plastic wings which faded over time. And many suffered from a poor indicator stalk which broke. These were improved a year or so later after customer feedback. Other things are just inherent, such as the heater resistor pack, ABS sensors and so on.

Have a browse through the 308 section and write down all the common issues. Then when you come to look at a car you can check with the owner to see if they've had them. If not, you know what to expect and how much to pay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do.

im goint to view one tomorrow..........98k 2 owner full randles peugeot history,cambelt done jan 2012.....4 new tyres 1.6 hdi sport 58 plate....whats it worth?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2009 1.6 HDi sport 308 is the worst Peugeot I have ever owned. The interior is well designed and the extra seats are useful (3 adults and 3 small children). Fuel consumption is poor less than my 406 2.0 HDi.
To date I have had 5 Peugeot's and combined have done over 1,000,000 miles but Peugeot will have to work very hard to persuade me to buy another Peugeot following my 308 experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Started with the drivers door lock not working, flowed by burst house to clutch slave cylinder, engine oil leak, fuel gauge failure, and trim to roof rail falling off all before its third birthday and since then clutch slave failure covering the clutch in hydraulic fluid, clutch master cylinder, wheel nut key falling apart, and various plastic rivets / fixings falling off. I thing the next repair will be to replace the top engine mount which is showing signs of failure. Now it is out of warranty I do 99% of repairs and all the servicing and the cost per mile for this car is considerably more than any previous car.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wheel nut key is a known problem general advice is to use normal nuts and junk the key.
If you do your own servicing that did you not invalidate your warranty?
As for the rest the car does sound like a Friday afternoon job, but then we dont know much about the history of the car do we?

C

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't touch a 100k miler unless it were cheap enough to be near-disposable. There's a better than evens chance it going to need dmf and dpf attention within 20k miles and the cost won't be far off the value of the car.

My 308 was rock solid zipping up to 30k mark and barely a year with no problems and surviving a nasty collision with a deer. By and large on a par with the Fucus for finish and reliability, so pound for pound you're ahead of the game. You get children who'll never touch X car again because the one they owned fell to pieces, but to judge. model by a single example when the bulk of others are fine is quite frankly preposterous - if everyone did that no one would ever buy a car again, anywhere, ever. My first 3008 was horrendous but the second one (and most other 3008s) was perfect.

The wheel bolt keys are fine. It only when idiots use windy guns on them that they fail, but that's true of nearly.all locking keys such as BMW, Ford, McGard etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps I miss judge Peugeot but they were not helpful when the roof rail trim fell off. Considering I left Hampton with the trim and stopper in Andover for fuel and trim has gone, it therefore fell off somewhere on the M3 or the A303. Peugeot refuse to replace it because I don't have the part even though it’s hard to see parts falling off the roof and at the time the car was just over 2 years old. I got the impression they had sold the car and don't care about providing an aftercare service. I will add since doing my own servicing I have so far found two engine bolts which were never tightened up (did not fall out because they used loctite). Car is definite a Friday night job but with good home maintenance it will be ok for a while

·
12,095 Posts
I got the impression they had sold the car and don't care about providing an aftercare service.
Its the same anywhere. The salesman will do anything for you until he's got your money.

Then he'll wash his hands of you and fob you off, claiming that he only does sales.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts