Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my beloved 307 sw has succumbed to a cam timer belt failure. will cost a grand to repair but this is the latest in a catalogue of repairs in past 4 years (suspension x 2; exhaust;power steering; starter motor;battery). The first 5 yrs no problem. Do I pay up for repair and trade in part exchange or sell as a non runner or for scrap??? would appreciate suggestions.:thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
A grand to fix it, eh?

Would you be able to buy another car for a grand in equal condition and good order? If the answer us 'yes' then buy another, otherwise pay to fix it.

However, if you've got a bit of wedge to spend and simply think it's time for a change then that's a question it you can answer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Interesting question to ask that one, i'd fix it. For that money buying a car for the same amount is pot luck on what problems you inherit.

If you have more money ie. 5k + you then are possibly talking a car in better condition that someone hasnt had the better of already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding so quick. Don't know if the quote for repair is a fair one but I don;t have the luxury of time to do a lot of phoning around and negotiating. I need a car so decisions decisions!!!:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its an 04 reg. bought in 2005 with low mileage from dealer. I dont think the belt has been changed though i did have a huge 4 figure bill about 3 years ago, can't remember what that entailed?? There's only 80 odd thousand miles on the clock.

·
Registered
369 Posts
its an 04 reg. bought in 2005 with low mileage from dealer. I dont think the belt has been changed though i did have a huge 4 figure bill about 3 years ago, can't remember what that entailed?? There's only 80 odd thousand miles on the clock.
If you have had it 9 years you really should know if its been done.
Forget what Peugeot say the interval is, 9 years or 80k miles is way too much for me and was just waiting to go.
As said if you can replace it cheaper do that if not get it repaired.
Which engine is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. appreciate the responses. When she's working I don't even think about what is going on under the bonnet even less likely to remember exactly what has been done to keep her running. All I do is keep her serviced and topped up with petrol, oil and water and tyres inflated! :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
theres loads of engines on ebay. would probably be a few hundred quid but while the engines out you can do the cam belt and clutch at the same time

my missus car was on 112k when i brought it. the owner had it 7 years from 65000 miles. no idea on cam belt and it looked well tired when i replaced it

at least pugs make there recommended mileage. vws changed theres to 40000 miles on many of its cars

1 - 12 of 12 Posts