Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been away for a while but am hoping you might be able to assist?

I've got the 307 in for a couple of new tyres today due to the front N/S outer edge being worn bald with a good few mm left on the rest of the tread. (very much legal depth)

I appreciate that the front N/S will suffer more wear than the front O/S but this seems excessive (Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres approx. 1 year old).

I'm getting the tracking checked but I think it may be a camber issue??

Anyone had this problem before? As far as I'm aware I can't adjust the camber so maybe the top mount could be at fault? Wishbones/bottom ball joint aren't very old either.

Any feedback would be greatly received.

Thanks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi All,

Been away for a while but am hoping you might be able to assist?

I've got the 307 in for a couple of new tyres today due to the front N/S outer edge being worn bald with a good few mm left on the rest of the tread. (very much legal depth)

I appreciate that the front N/S will suffer more wear than the front O/S but this seems excessive (Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres approx. 1 year old).

I'm getting the tracking checked but I think it may be a camber issue??

Anyone had this problem before? As far as I'm aware I can't adjust the camber so maybe the top mount could be at fault? Wishbones/bottom ball joint aren't very old either.

Any feedback would be greatly received.

Thanks.
was there a difference in size of the control arms? Seem to recall when I last had my tracking done after doing ball joints and track rods that the hub carrier has a bit of play before they are tightened up but nothing too major.....but its been a couple of years.

Is the tracking okay? are the track rod joints worn?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was there a difference in size of the control arms? Seem to recall when I last had my tracking done after doing ball joints and track rods that the hub carrier has a bit of play before they are tightened up but nothing too major.....but its been a couple of years.

Is the tracking okay? are the track rod joints worn?
Hi,

The tracking seems fine from a driving perspective. I'm now going to wander to the garage to see what they've found.

I don't think there is an issue with the control arms but I could be wrong.

Just seems odd that the tyre has worn so badly. To put it into perspective, the O/S still has visible tread on the outer edge where the N/S is about to start showing the inner layer (between the tread & cord)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Have you had a 4 wheel aligment check?

not sure if this would cause uneven where on the front, but wheel alignment on the front doesnt take into acount the back may be out. rear is non adjustable but rear wheel aligment can be thrown out by worn or bent parts.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Have you had a 4 wheel aligment check?

not sure if this would cause uneven where on the front, but wheel alignment on the front doesnt take into acount the back may be out. rear is non adjustable but rear wheel aligment can be thrown out by worn or bent parts.
You cannot align the rear wheels on a 307, rears are not adjustable and therefore no data supplied for tracking.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Re the control arms. It was something I noted from some 807 threads on control arm replacement. Someone was recommending one brand that was a bit smaller and mentioned the potential camber change. As I see the bushes on mine are on the way out, the comment stuck in my mind for patterned parts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would lay a large bet that it will be the tracking which is out. National Tyres etc will have a laser guided tracking equipment to rectify it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had an identical problem on my 2006 307 which had serious wear on the inside of the N/S tyre, although the O/S was totally unaffected. Around the same time had rattle from front suspension which turned out to be worn anti-roll bar link which I replaced. Changed both front tyres and after 7,000miles since problem has not reappeared, although I don't really see how roll bar link could affect tyre wear !

·
Registered
248 Posts
The roll bar link is part of the suspension and over all geometry of the front wheels. If its worn it will have an effect on the wheel's alignment and its tyre wear.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, turns out the tracking is the culprit!

Even though the car drove straight and true, the tracking was out.

I'm a bit concerned though as I had these tyres replaced about a year ago for the same problem on the same side.

And now a year later, same again....

Maybe the track rods are worn and moving over time?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Right, turns out the tracking is the culprit!

Even though the car drove straight and true, the tracking was out.

I'm a bit concerned though as I had these tyres replaced about a year ago for the same problem on the same side.

And now a year later, same again....

Maybe the track rods are worn and moving over time?
If you had the tyres replaced a year ago and did not have the tracking checked at the same time, then the tyres will continue to wear funny.

Tracking tends to be effected by worn parts or if the car has hit a large pot hole or hit a curb at some point. Once they have been adjusted, everything should be fine for the foreseeable future.

A good tip is to replace both sides and then get them adjusted by a garage

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you had the tyres replaced a year ago and did not have the tracking checked at the same time, then the tyres will continue to wear funny.

Tracking tends to be effected by worn parts or if the car has hit a large pot hole or hit a curb at some point. Once they have been adjusted, everything should be fine for the foreseeable future.

A good tip is to replace both sides and then get them adjusted by a garage
Ah I didn't specify.

I had tyres replaced last year and had the tracking done then. (because of the adverse wear)

Now the same issue, same side..

Not had any impacts that I can recall that would knock the tracking out either.

??

·
Registered
687 Posts
I got on of those laser trackmate tools to keep an eye on the tracking on my cars. I check the cars every 6 months or so (when i change from summer to winter wheels and back). It's definitely saved my tyres as there have been a couple of times it has shown the tracking has shifted and always the near side that has been drifting.

For me I think the main culprit is the sharp turn into work and a raised curb (even though it has been dropped) but the tool is well worth the money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts