Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been sponsored to complete the Rospa advanced driving test. I know it isn't that expensive but I am really looking forward to doing it. In the process of booking although I feel I will have missed out on the September start and may have to book for the January.

You can get gold, silver and bronze passes. I would imagine a gold pass would give you lots more benefits in terms of cheaper insurance etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
one day it will be required by law but the only reason is because of car theft and abuse,

sensible driving tests were good enough in my time but today's attitudes killed all that by theft/no insurance or MOT/reckless driving,

THE SENSIBLE pay for the pricks but when they get older they will have learned because of costs they have to pay on there insurance and that's called pay back,

shame we should pay for their brainless ides there should be a separate insurance group to cater for the sensible.

G

·
Kewl, good luck. I used to coach IAM and RoSPA assessors. IAM were a bunch of old fogeys well up their own arthes, some of them not been re-tested since they completed their training in the 60's! The RoSPA boys much more into it.

Muchos respecto if you score a gold :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
chopper1192 said:
IAM were a bunch of old fogeys well up their own arthes, some of them not been re-tested since they completed their training in the 60's! The RoSPA boys much more into it.
Have to agree, they were like that...thankfully they wised up to it all.

Just wanted to say good luck with your course and test, go on, aim for the gold. You know you can do it:thumb:

I work as an ADI here in Belfast. I'm also an observer for both IAM and RoSPA. To be honest, I prefer the RoSPA system... what I mean is once you do the IAM test, that's it... With RoSPA, your encouraged to come back in 3 years and do the test again.

If I were you, I'd look at joining your local RoSPA group. You'll get all the help you need there. You'll get the likes of me, an observer coming out with you free of charge to help you improve your driving skill and give you advice on passing that test and getting a gold.

Anyways, keeps us up to date with how you get on. Best of luck to ya.

Tony.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys - hope you are enjoying your Bank Holiday weekend. I believe all of England is having beautiful weather - accept for where I live, of course, on Walton mountain!!!!!!!

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Pugbod, I know - there are so many 'donkeys' on the road today that ruin it for the good guys.... I have, on a couple of occasions only, had youngsters speeding past me on a dual carriageway, only to meet them at the traffic lights. I have wound down the window and shouted 'You have just annoyed (or words to that effect' an off-duty police officer, should you speed again going through these lights - I will radio through to the station your registration number and then you will be guaranteed a visit!) I then quickly wind up my window - just in case - although - I would shoot first and ask questions later;)

Rich, So I know who to come to if I have any questions then...... I have just received the 'Roadcraft' - (The Police Driver's Handbook) which I have just started to read. My brother, who you know is a Police bod - said ' although you will study Roadcraft, you won't be tought persuit driving - or skid-pan' - Bummer!!! that to me sounds really exciting.

Thanks for the good luck wishes... I passed my standard driving test first time - so - you never know - I would love to get the gold - or even just to pass. I would hate to fail......but I am a positive girl and have to tell myself that failure is not an option!

Hello Tony - I was just about to say welcome to the forum but having looked back again - you joined 2006! where have you been?

Thanks too for the good wishes. I am joining my local Rospa group. I will do so much reading and preparation before and during - got to give it your best shot - no point in going in for something half heartedly.... The six 'P's' Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance...

Yes I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm, I remember saying earlier 'shoot first and ask questions later' hmmm, guess after having read chapter one of Roadcraft, I am going to have to change my emotions and attitude....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am now on to chapter 8 - learned a lot to be honest - even though - when you think about it - most of it is common sense.......

There are 11 chapters to this book - only 3 left to read.... After that - I will re read the book and then do it again and again-- be ready!!!!

Anyhoo - I will ask the question - although I will prob get no response - 'What is the first rule of 'Roadcraft' - don't google - don't cheat - yeh right!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know Chopster.... It took me ages to stop chuckling enough to reposition the mouse to log on.......

You Coppsters have got the chuckle factor.. Do you know what happens if you don't use your chuckle muscle people???????? it dries up and falls off:eek: :laugh: :nod:

Dare I ask for a true answer:rolleyes:

G

·
The doughnut jam wipes off the fluorescents easier than the old woolen jerseys.

Remember, Roadcraft is an excellent system, but 'Roadcraft' is not a particularly good manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Rich, now I am confused which doesn't take much sometimes. Why is it not a particularly good manual and, what else is available?

G

·
The way it's written and the pictures aren't terribly clever, although it's been updated and is supposed to be a lot better (I've not seen the updated one yet).

Remember also that it was written mainly for police drivers, so some will be irrelevant. It's not all set in stone and certain things may work better for you and be perfectly acceptable - overlapping gears and braking is a common bone of contention, but there's no right-or-wrong universal answer (although as a general rule I try to avoid it, but I haven't crashed in a ball of fire when I have done it, especially in heavy traffic where it's easier if you do overlap).

And some of it is downright dangerous - it was originally written in the 20's by a Belgian racing driver, Luc something or other, and it's not entirely kept pace with the times. "Over a crest, left is best" may have been sound advice in 1969 when I was born, but today could see you slaming into the rear of an inappropriately parked car. Try and view it as a guide to make you think about what you're doing, rather than the 10 commandments.

All my driving qualifications are slowly lapsing as due to various injuries I'm not fit to stay sat in a car for long periods daily, though the system gives you little exercises to test yourself so you never totally lose it. My attention is now back to 2 wheels and I'm now a level 4 emergency services mountain bike instructor instead - if it's on wheels, I try to be the best I can. It's a midlife crisis thing!

Good luck. Make us all proud ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Rich

Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it. The only date I can find in the book is copyright 1994.

The application to RoSPA states that a copy of the Roadcraft will be forwarded together with a copy of the Highway Code. Maybe their book will have been updated again since 1994.

No mention of 'Over a crest - left is best'. Born 1969???:rolleyes: did you press the wrong number key:rolleyes: :D

G

·
Mine are 2000 and 2001, though I can't see any difference twixt the two, except the older one has more doughnut jam smeared on it ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you carry on eating those circular fat objects - you're going to start to look like one!:eek: Or do you already:lol: :nod: By the way - there is a thread on off-topic called - 'who do you look like' could be fun to see a pillsbury dough character added to it he he ha ha ha.

I've finished the book now and just started it again - although I am wondering whether I should await the new up-dated version just in case I am memorizing incorrect and out-of-date information. Knowing me I will continue to read and make amends when the new one arrives.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke to John Holland on Saturday. He was confirming receipt of my application for the January course.

I've just had a thought (I know - I could hurt myself) bit of a bad time of the year to take the advanced course don't you think? Weather conditions here on Walton mountain sometimes mean I can't get off the crescent. Do the instructors take into consideration the weather conditions at different times of the year when rewarding?

I would have thought a test during summer time would possibly be easier than in heavy fog, sleet and snow etc. Any ideas?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Morning boys and girls.

Just an update on the course. Started on 24th January - should have been a couple of weeks earlier but everybody was well and truely snowed in!

It is quite interesting. Had a theory evening - mainly going over the 'system of car control'. Every second Sunday we meet at 9.45am and an observer takes us out in our own cars (we do the driving) lasts about 2 hours. Then we meet in the community centre and are marked from A -B -C and D.

A meaning - ready, B meaning - nearly there, C meaning a little more work and D meaning experiencing difficulties.

First outing I got 2 D,s - one for Steering (they like the pull push) I don't, and one for not noticing all the road signs.

Anyhoo - on 7th Feb - second outing I got mainly A's and B's and a couple of C's so progressing nicely. There is a list of about 20 different things that you get marked on.

Next outing is this Sunday 21st Feb, followed by a second theory evening on 25th Feb.

Wondering whether anybody else is thinking about going in for it?

G

·
I used to let my students manipulate the wheel how they liked, so long as they didn't cross arms. Push-pull was discredited many years ago when some research discovered that in an emergency it was less effective by not allowing the brain to have an instant visual reference as to how far round the wheel was. Problem is, most farces still stick with it out of sheer historic inertia.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Chopsie...

I said to one of my Observers. If and when I pass this course, I will revert back to how I feel comfortable holding the wheel. I also told him not to put that comment down in his notes or he will receive a 'left hook' (Clyde) from me:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts