Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have recently added in a bluetooth adapter to my 407 RD4 stereo and whilst that all went smoothly the lack of USB ports is now annoying me. I just bought a simple USB and 3.5mm combined plug (the adapter has both 3.5mm and USB options as well) but I was thinking I would prefer to do a more professional job and maybe add 2x USB ports and 1x 3.5mm port to the 3 unused buttons I have on the RD4 console. They are the standard black rectangular buttons at the bottom of the console with current ESP and door lock buttons.

My question is, has anyone put USB or 3.5mm connectors into these buttons and if so what connector did you use. A quick look hasn't come across an official or otherwise option for these buttons so my next step I think is to buy a standard USB socket or connector and drill through the existing button cover. I would like to go at least 2.1amp or ideally 3.1amp for fast charging for one port and the 2nd port can go to the bluetooth adapter which I think is 2.1amp. Although this isn't too important as the adapter is bluetooth so wont really need to use the USB option (just makes it easy to add a charging port without a 12V to 5V adapter, although most likely need one for the other port anyway). I've had a look on aliexpress and haven't seen anything really good so far.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.

I am planning a similar project, before I go in to details, do you mind me asking what bluetooth module you use? (is there a topic on the forum about it?) I would love a PM with some details (off-topic).

You are planning to alter the unused buttons in the stereo. I have seen video's on youtube on this subject and have seen that if you have one functioning button in a set of 3, there is a PCB behind all the buttons, with circuitry behind at least one.
You might want to investigate before planning to drill holes :)

I have a similar project in mind where I would alter the "knee box". The left-hand drive version has a small storage compartment at knee height behind which the fuses are located.
I would use a fuse-tap to steal some 12 volts, and a USB socket (screwed in a newly drilled 28mm hole) with 2.5 amp USB ports.
If you want to go back to factory look, all you would then need is a new "tray".

I am new here, I hope I am allowed to mention commercial products. If not, feel free to correct me.

This is the unit I had in mind, and may be an alternative for your project;
pro car (de) id 67321000 (I am not allowed to post links, which I find annoying as I am only trying to help, so you will have to google it :( Sorry.)

In case of a right-hand drive vehicle, there probably are more convenient locations for the USB sockets :)

Hoping to be of service,

Remon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts