Peugeot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have not tried yet the latest peugeot system but if it is as good as the vw one I have, then it should be awesome !

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have to agree with bluehdi on this.

I have never really been a fan of cruise control of any type and use it very rarely on my current Audi.

However we went away last weekend in the wife's GT and the traffic from herts down to the new forest was horrendous not to much the the 50mph average limits on the way.

I used the ACC for about 50% of the journey and it was very impressive indeed. Very smooth and once I'd changed the distance to normal rather than distant behaved exactly like I would have driven.

Given it reads the speed limits as well, I tried to engage it at 50 when it had been set at 70 and told me that the conditions were unsuitable , touch the bottom button and it sets to 50 and engages.

As with previous comments it does not turn your 3008 into an autonomous johnny cab so you still are the driver but as a driver aid I can only say how impressive it was :thumb:

Cheers

Martin

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I tried ACC on my way home and found it to be a complete nightmare and quite dangerous at times. I’m not sure what the distance was set at but assume it must have been distant but couldn’t work out how to check and change it on the fly.

I set my speed limit to 130 km/hr and if I wanted to overtake a car doing 128 km/hr (for example) I had to manoeuvre much sooner than usual otherwise my speed would adjust to 128km/hr. At 2 km/hr speed difference it takes an absolute age to overtake, so cars breaking the law and coming up behind me at well over 130 km/hr are frustrated. Normally and if I am not actually overtaking I might pull over but doing so with ACC causes the car to brake fiercely and quite frighteningly. After I few frights I learnt to have my right foot ready to over-ride the cruise control. Other times I would forget the shortcomings of ACC and following a car anticipating I would overtake at some point I would look at the speedo and notice I had reduced speed so would never be in a position to overtake.

All this took place on relatively quiet French autoroutes, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with Cruise control on a busy UK motorway if the same thing happened.

Before my next trip I shall check the distance setting and if necessary set it to normal or near and see if this improves my experience.

One thing I noticed and contrary to my understanding is that if a car in front comes to a halt my car will also stop but I thought once the car in front moved forward, my car would also move without intervention but this did not appear to happen.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can see the distance if you press the button on top of the ACC-handle. You can change between near, normal and far.

My opinion is that "far" is way to close to the car in front in 70-80km/h, but too long at highway speeds. However, if you use you turn signal before it detects the car in front, the car will allow you to come a little closer before it brakes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If your overtaking.....just disable , pass at whatever speed you wish and then re engage once you've overtaken..simplies..remember it's acc not a Google self drive car ?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You can see the distance if you press the button on top of the ACC-handle. You can change between near, normal and far.

My opinion is that "far" is way to close to the car in front in 70-80km/h, but too long at highway speeds. However, if you use you turn signal before it detects the car in front, the car will allow you to come a little closer before it brakes.
Thanks for the information, I'll bear that in mind next time and hopefully grow to like ACC.

If your overtaking.....just disable , pass at whatever speed you wish and then re engage once you've overtaken..simplies..remember it's acc not a Google self drive car ?
I think my problem is I'm used to doing just that but with conventional cruise control and adjusting the speed with a touch of the plus and minus buttons so no foot or disabling required.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ACC, for me, has always been about relaxing. Allowing the journey to just happen, while you get into a zone and chill out, instead of worrying about overtaking and all that stuff.

I have found, using it over a period of 2 years, that I actually get to my destination (motorway, 50 miles each way) quicker when I have ACC engaged than if I'm using my foot to 'do things'. I also get there much more relaxed. When I drove from South Yorkshire to Cornwall it allowed me to do that journey without the fatigue I would have normally experienced.

If people cut in to the gap it leaves, let them... ACC won't let you crash into them. If people are going a bit slower than you, big deal, let ACC slow you down for a while, or move across and let ACC continue as you were. It's about taking it as it comes. :)

I decided that I would never get a car without ACC again. It was a key decision point in selecting the 3008 for my other half over cars that didn't have the option - Mazda CX-3 and Audi Q3 (the latter of which is all about the brand value chain anyway).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
when I have ACC engaged
Is it possible to disengage ACC and use normal Cruise control? I presumed I would have to engage ACC if I wanted to use it, but it comes on automatically.

Note: I haven't bothered to consult the manual, much easier to ask here!

·
Registered
183 Posts
On my Jeep, yes - they're different buttons / systems. Dunno about the 3008 as I don't own one. :eek:

I don't use normal cruise control. It's been pushed into uselessness by ACC.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I used to love using ACC, but had a couple of bad experiences with it on my last car. So, I wasn't too disappointed to find it wasn't available on the 1.2 3008. It's good when it works properly, but if you come to rely on it and become complacent, you can end up in trouble. These systems have their limits (as I found out), and being a fairly new option to Peugeot it may have more shortcomings than on other manufacturer's vehicles, who have been using it for years and years.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I used to love using ACC, but had a couple of bad experiences with it on my last car. So, I wasn't too disappointed to find it wasn't available on the 1.2 3008. It's good when it works properly, but if you come to rely on it and become complacent, you can end up in trouble. These systems have their limits (as I found out), and being a fairly new option to Peugeot it may have more shortcomings than on other manufacturer's vehicles, who have been using it for years and years.
Snap.......
Have it on my Merc and after my good lady wife had a nightmare experience with one lorry overtaking the other I decided not to have the option available on the next vehicle.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sounds a bit like my first bad ACCC experience. A large lorry decided to change lanes without warning, and pulled into the gap beween me and the vehicle ahead. The ACC didn't know what was going on, and if I hadn't applied the brakes I would have gone straight in the back of it. The second time I was approaching a bend in the road, and their was a traffic jam just the other side of the bend that the ACC radar and camera did not pick up. I could see it, and waited for ACC to respond, but it didn't. If I hadn't been in an elevated position and seen this jam before taking the bend, it could have been disastrous. Luckily I was able to take preventitive measures again. ACC is a bit like crazy paving....not all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sounds a bit like my first bad ACCC experience. A large lorry decided to change lanes without warning, and pulled into the gap beween me and the vehicle ahead. The ACC didn't know what was going on, and if I hadn't applied the brakes I would have gone straight in the back of it. The second time I was approaching a bend in the road, and their was a traffic jam just the other side of the bend that the ACC radar and camera did not pick up. I could see it, and waited for ACC to respond, but it didn't. If I hadn't been in an elevated position and seen this jam before taking the bend, it could have been disastrous. Luckily I was able to take preventitive measures again. ACC is a bit like crazy paving....not all it's cracked up to be.
Absolutely SNAP again with your first experience.
My wife was driving and I was dozing in the passengers seat when I heard my wife suddenly scream.
BOLT upright and now fully awake, all I could see was a lorry overtaking another but doing so erratically. The system could not make it's mind up if the gap between the two was wide enough.
I quickly disengaged the system whilst looking over my shoulder and shouted "BRAKES"!!
Luckily there was nothing behind us and my wife brought the speed down for us to sit a very, very good distance from the two lorries ahead.

Later I thought to myself, what would have happened had I not been in he car with her?
Not that I need to tell my wife twice but it's drilled firmly into her driving style never to activate the system again.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's really frightening when something like that happens. I don't trust autonomus braking either. I've lost count of the number of times I have turned a corner at a junction, and the stupid system has picked up parked cars as a potential collision hazard, and slammed the brakes on.
To be fair it hasn't happened anywhere near as often in the 3008, but in my Volvo, and in the wife's Toyota it's a flippin' nightmare. The Volvo also has the added joy of a big red flashing head up display message on the windscreen screaming B...R...A...K...E...!!!! The ACC in the Volvo is also way too sensitive, as it will pick up a light rain shower and interpret it as a vehicle. Not much point having ACC on a car in this country if it does that everytime there is a spot of rain!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's really frightening when something like that happens. I don't trust autonomus braking either. I've lost count of the number of times I have turned a corner at a junction, and the stupid system has picked up parked cars as a potential collision hazard, and slammed the brakes on.
To be fair it hasn't happened anywhere near as often in the 3008, but in my Volvo, and in the wife's Toyota it's a flippin' nightmare. The Volvo also has the added joy of a big red flashing head up display message on the windscreen screaming B...R...A...K...E...!!!! The ACC in the Volvo is also way too sensitive, as it will pick up a light rain shower and interpret it as a vehicle. Not much point having ACC on a car in this country if it does that everytime there is a spot of rain!!!
That is weird..... Had it on my Volvo XC60 and unless it was heavy rain I don't think I had a problem with the ACC. I suppose that may have been my reason in having it on the Merc...... but NEVER again!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is only an help, and doesn't prevent the driver from doing something else.

On my side, I drive at 70-75mph, shortest distance set up and always careful of left and right drivers. Especially lorries !

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It is only an help, and doesn't prevent the driver from doing something else.

On my side, I drive at 70-75mph, shortest distance set up and always careful of left and right drivers. Especially lorries !
Yes, I appreciate it is only to be used as an 'aide' for the driver but gradually over time for some it does lead to complacency.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've just had a quick read of the manual and it looks as though 'dynamic cruise control' cannot be turned off; unless I've missed something.

If I'd realised using the indicator improved things I'd have made sure I used it, not sure whether I did or not as it's normally a natural reaction thing for me.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts