Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know why Peugeot don't offer Adaptive Cruise in the 1.2 versions of the 3008? Seems odd when it's available on all other engine option. I thought it might be down to engine size, but there are other 1.2 vehicles with this option.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe they're too slow to keep up with regular traffic :lol:

Seriously it's probably just they don't see a market for it at the lower price points in the uk.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know, because the 1.2 petrol is proving to be really popular, and a nicely specced GT Line with the 1.2 auto is around £32k, or more. Having said that Adaptive cruise sounds great in theory, but you rarely get a chance to use it on UK roads, and it can misinterpret the road ahead, leading to potential accidents.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Seriously it's probably just they don't see a market for it at the lower price points in the uk.
I was told the 1.2 turbo EAT S&S didn't support adaptive cc, something to do with the S&S, I don't know how true that is but that is what I was told.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was told the 1.2 turbo EAT S&S didn't support adaptive cc, something to do with the S&S, I don't know how true that is but that is what I was told.
I've specced Adaptive Cruise with the 1.6 THP and that's got S&S, I think Dealers make it up if they don't know the answer to a question :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've specced Adaptive Cruise with the 1.6 THP and that's got S&S, I think Dealers make it up if they don't know the answer to a question :)
They didn't imply Adaptive CC is not compatible with S&S but that it was not compatible with 1.2 Turbo EAT S&S - but who knows :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
They didn't imply Adaptive CC is not compatible with S&S but that it was not compatible with 1.2 Turbo EAT S&S - but who knows :)
Sorry should have been more specific, the 1.6 THP only comes with the EAT so can't see any reason why Adaptive Cruise wouldn't work with the 1.2 engine, but as you say - who knows.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Maybe the adaptive nature just uses engine braking and the engine can't provide the required resistance?

I know the automatic using engine braking by changing through the gears whilst breaking at the pedal.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just reading about the cruise control - trying to answer if (a) cruise control is standard but adaptive is not, or (b) cruise control is not and the cc is always and only adaptive.

I'm not too bothered if I'd not read the spec- oddly my current car doesn't have cc.. so I'm used to not having it.. even from driving long distances :D

The system detects a vehicle driving in front in the same direction and can automatically adapt the vehicle's speed to that of the vehicle in front. This occurs using engine braking and the braking system (in which case the brake lights are lit) to maintain a constant distance .
So I think that the speed is, for most occasions, uses the engine braking so that the break lights and brakes aren't engaged every time it makes an adjustment.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adaptive cruise (especially all speed, stop/start systems) sound a good option to have, but they aren't infallible. If the car detects the road becomes clear ahead, it will accelerate automatically to the preset speed. That sounds OK, but in certain circumstances it can be very dangerous, particularly if you rely on it too heavily. For instance, if you have adaptive cruise set at 70, and the car in front is doing 40, your car will retain a safe distance at 40. However, if the radar/camera loses contact with the car in front because it has navigated a sharp bend, then your car will assume the road ahead is clear, and accelerate towards 70 at a time when you should be slowing to take that bend. Not so much a problem in a fairly slow to accelerate 3008, but there have been a number of accidents involving higher powered cars fitted with adaptive cruise. So, it's a useful driving aid, but no replacement for keeping your eyes on the road ahead. It remains to be seen how good the Peugeot system is, because some of them are very unreliable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Adaptive cruise (especially all speed, stop/start systems) sound a good option to have, but they aren't infallible.
Thanks for your comments because I wanted Adaptive CC and was disapointed it wasn't available on the engine I choose, but your comments make me feel not so bothered about it now :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I thought long and heard about Adaptive cruise, and maybe changing my order to the 1.6 petrol. Eventually I e-mailed Honest John for his opinion. He told me to avoid the 1.6 petrol as there have been a lot of timing chain issues with that engine, not to consider diesel because of the big question mark over it's future, and to steer well clear of adaptive cruise. In his opinion it can be unreliable or dangerous in some circumstances, dependent on how good the system fitted to the car actually is, and how much you come to rely on it. He highly recommended the 1.2 petrol turbo though. It's also more economic, and cheaper to tax (at the moment!!). I have Adaptive CC on my current car, but found it would not work properly in bad weather, because either the radar/camera got dirty, or heavy rain was interpreted as a vehicle in front. When adaptive cc is fitted with autonomous braking you also run the risk of the brakes being slammed on for no reason.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
All cruise control systems wether adaptive are not can be dangerous in cerrtain circumstances if the driver stops concentrating. I use my standard cruise control on all roads and at any speed from 30 - 70 mph and find it helps me concentrate more on the traffic surrounding me as I no longer have to keep an eye on the speedo. If I find I'm creeping up on the car in front I either drop the set speed using the - button or simply suspend the cruise control until the traffic clears of speeds up again. Adaptive cruise control should negate the need to keep altering the set speed or ausing speed control but it certainly doesn't negate the need to concentrate on what's happening around you. If the adaptive system begins to put you in a precarious situation then it needs to be suspended by the driver just the same as standard cruise control.

I personally like the idea of adaptive cruise control but in my mind would think it's better suited to an auto rather than manual gearbox and seeing as I much prefer driving manual it's something I'm likely to pass on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I personally like the idea of adaptive cruise control but in my mind would think it's better suited to an auto rather than manual gearbox and seeing as I much prefer driving manual it's something I'm likely to pass on.
Adaptive cruise isn't available on the 3008 SUV if you go a for a manual gearbox. It was on my wish list but I couldn't have it.

·
Administrator
2,840 Posts
Currently I have a VW Golf auto with adaptive cruise control and after a couple of goes when I had it, I never use it.

With idiot drivers on the motorways who have no respect of cutting into your safe set distance of the car infront, your continually slowing down.

It is good in traffic jams however keeping up with the car in front, (again providing no one cuts into the gap).

If it was on a car as standard, that's fine, but I'd never pay extra for it.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Possible 3008 Owner

Hi all

As you can tell from my title I am a possible 3008 owner of the future. Was a little surpised to read this thread. I have adaptive cruise on my Golf Manual and have used it on various automatics from Golf's to a Honda Civic, on the auto's it acts a kind of mild traffic jam assist system.

I wouldn't be without adaptive cruise, it doesn't replace what you do but aids it. I have it on as much as possible and if I was ordering a 3008 it would have to be a must. Used correctly and sensibly they're a great safety aid.

I've never had any issues on my Golf. I know the system and i know it's limitations.

The reason I suspect you don't have it on the 1.2 in the UK will be around CO2/economy - it will be some strange reason like that. It's not included in lower powered Golf Bluemotion cars. One I do notice is that with a Golf you can have adaptive cruise with a manual but you can't in a 3008, which is a shame.

My next question as I have waffled on is the 1,6 petrol 3008 - any good - tempted by a GT line spec with this engine.

Sorry for highjacking this thread a bit

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm a big fan of adaptive cruise control. It is a big must for me, especially on UK roads where "normal" cruise control is way too dangerous.
However, to work properly it must be using the car brakes and not rely only on engine break.

It is of course only an aid and I agree that some people "cut you off" if you put too big of distance (idiots!) but for those doing lots of miles on UK motorways, this really is a must have.

I would not consider any other car without proper ACC.

And yes it is a shame not having it on the 1.2 petrol but that's Peugeot's decision.

And to come back on the 1.6 petrol, it is a great engine, the problems should be behing us now as it has been used for quite some time now !

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My last 4 cars have had normal CC.
I use it all the time, I've not had anything dangerous occur...

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The adaptive system with stop on my 3008 works brilliantly, using engine braking and actual braking, to give a superb system. My previous car (a C4 Grand Picasso BlueHDi 150) had ACC, but only used engine braking, which meant it would surge and pulse strangely. I used it but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 3008.

If my car stops completely and the car in front then moves off, it picks up gradually the cruise without it ever being disabled. If the car in front doesn't move for a while, the car applies the handbrake automatically.

A big thumbs up for Peugeot for an excellent system.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts