Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone checked the level of Ad Blue their cars came with? The book shows a range of 12500 miles for a full tank.

I noticed my range was down to 1500 miles when I switched on yesterday. I think I'll be having a word with the dealer as checking this level wasn't mentioned in the handover and I must admit that not having ever owned a vehicle needing adative I forgot to ask.

It might be worthwhile others checking.

· Registered
442 Posts
Has anyone checked the level of Ad Blue their cars came with? The book shows a range of 12500 miles for a full tank.

I noticed my range was down to 1500 miles when I switched on yesterday. I think I'll be having a word with the dealer as checking this level wasn't mentioned in the handover and I must admit that not having ever owned a vehicle needing adative I forgot to ask.

It might be worthwhile others checking.
Remember that, as I understand it (not a diesel driver myself - just from what I've picked up on forums), how far a fill of additive will go depends a lot on how frequently you add fuel to the fuel tank, as the system adds a fixed squirt of additive when it sees the tank lid opened.
So big difference if you go brim-almost empty-brim or add a tenners worth at a time. No idea on what schedule the 12500 miles would be based on... worst, typical, or best case scenario.

· Registered
84 Posts
Can you top it up yourself? Was in a Merc recently and the AdBlue filler cap was next to the diesel one, however I have a vague recollection Puegeot make it rather more challenging as prefer dealers to top up (and no doubt charge a premium).

· Registered
1,616 Posts
I was told by the 'expert' at the launch that it is a service item. I have read elsewhere that the admix is available on the internet at a reasonable price so maybe you can do it yourself if necessary. That low in the short amount of time you’ve had the car Phil there must be a problem.

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by the 'expert' at the launch that it is a service item. I have read elsewhere that the admix is available on the internet at a reasonable price so maybe you can do it yourself if necessary. That low in the short amount of time you’ve had the car Phil there must be a problem.
I'm hoping that it left the factory with just enough for driving ant the dealer has forgotten to check the level prior to handover. I'll be going down there on Tuseday so I'll let you know how I go on.

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panic over...I've just read the manual in more detail and it appears I missed a little symbol at the end of the 1500 miles...there's a > which means range in excess of 1500 not 1500 left as I thought.

I'm putting it down to my age and failing eyesight:D:D

· Registered
2,026 Posts
You can top it up yourself, there are no counters or anything to reset. You can even buy Adblue in Asda.

· Registered
620 Posts
Cunningly hidden Adblue filler :)

Auto part Vehicle audio Automotive lighting Car subwoofer Vehicle

IIRC the Adblue tank is 17 litres which is supposedly enough to get you between service intervals (i.e. 12K+ miles).

You can top it up, although the manual suggests 5+ litres at a time and not more than 10 litres. Seems a bit odd.. you'd expect if it gets low then you'd fill it.. like a diesel tank to prevent it getting low. I did read that the stuff does start to degrade in higher temps 25+degC but I'd need to look into that more. Would prefer it to have 2x5 litre cans in the garage rather than hunt down additive when the light pops up.

· Registered
509 Posts
Cunningly hidden Adblue filler

[iurl="http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54145&d=1492370298"]
[/iurl]

IIRC the Adblue tank is 17 litres which is supposedly enough to get you between service intervals (i.e. 12K+ miles).

You can top it up, although the manual suggests 5+ litres at a time and not more than 10 litres. Seems a bit odd.. you'd expect if it gets low then you'd fill it.. like a diesel tank to prevent it getting low. I did read that the stuff does start to degrade in higher temps 25+degC but I'd need to look into that more. Would prefer it to have 2x5 litre cans in the garage rather than hunt down additive when the light pops up.
Any petrol station forecourt sells adblue Nick and usually right outside the door with the windscreen wash, bags of logs and newspapers you probably just haven't noticed it before. Trucks run off the stuff in large quantities so they have to have it readily available.

· Registered
544 Posts
Can someone please explain to me what Ad Blue is as I've never heard of it. :eek:

What worries me though is that I can honestly say in all my years of driving, I've never been aware that anything needed topping up and also will I have to be topping my car up?:confused:

· Registered
620 Posts
Can someone please explain to me what Ad Blue is as I've never heard of it. :eek:

What worries me though is that I can honestly say in all my years of driving, I've never been aware that anything needed topping up and also will I have to be topping my car up?:confused:
Only needed for Diesel :D

All-new Peugeot 3008 SUV | Technical Specifications - Peugeot UK

Joint

The diesel uses it by spraying it into the exhaust, where it acts to convert 80% of NOx to N2. It's required by Euro6 standard and if the car does not have any then the engine will not start. So it's as vital as the diesel it runs on :D

Don't worry I'm sure that they will soon target Petrol engine CO2 output levels resulting in a drop in market value of pencils and diamonds..

· Registered
620 Posts
Phew! Thanks Nick. You say it is only relevant for diesels but is it only for certain types of diesel engines as I've had them for years and have never topped any of them up!
The old diesels didn't even have a particulate filter.. my old focus didn't as it was the old series engine.

The 'newer' diesel all tried to comply with euro4 emissions ratings.. so had particulate filters.

The latest euro6 standard also targets NOx output that has been on the news. Most post-2016 engines adhere to euro6.

The older generation of Peugeots had the AdBlue in weird places like boot floor, in a bottle in the engine bay that you couldn't get to without some acrobatics.
Thankfully the new diesel cars have it as a standard filler cap easily accessible.

· Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must apologise if I've started anyone fretting about AdBlue. I misread the display and there's no problem with the levels in the car. As someone stated earlier a full tank should last from service to service so there's no need to worry. :eek:

· Registered
1,243 Posts
There's Eolys fluid for the DPF also, but it's meant to be topped up by a dealer.....not easily accessible.
It's a DPF cleaner fluid additional to the regeneration process, I take it.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Morning All,

I haven't ordered a 3008 but I've found it very interesting reading all you're posts on here. I have however, ordered a Traveller and like you lot waiting for info on build dates and delivery I'm doing the same. You won't be surprised to learn I've heard nothing. Ordered in Feb, supposed to be a May build and June delivery. Not holding out too much hope as I've added all the extras just about...
As for the Adblue, I have a new 1.6 diesel Renault traffic 120hp. According to the handbook it should last around 12k miles but in reality I get around 6k miles with a mix of local and motorway miles.
I buy my adblue from the local BP station at £12.99 for 10 liters. Once the container is opened it should be used within 3 months apparently.
The only issue I have with this adblue stuff is when you buy a new vehicle the manufacturer tells you what to expect in the way of MPG and hence running costs. They don't mention the adblue so If you factor in £26 every 6-7k miles the Euro 6 engine doesn't work out to be any cheaper to run than my old Euro 5, 2 litre engine in my old Vauxhall Vivaro I had. Old Vivaro 33 MPG. New Trafic 36 MPG plus Adblue costs.
It is easy to refill, my 8 year old grandson could do it. Once you done it and spilled some synthesized pigs urine on your shoes you'll soon learn how it's best done.

Grumpy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.