Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5,040 Posts
broken abs ring ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont think the sensors are adjustable as such however i did have a problem with a rear sensor tip being bent away from the toothed wheel caused by a hand brake shoe spring clip coming loose and jamming itself between the tip and wheel. They can be bent back if your very gentle (mine got bent twice and on the second straightening it snapped requireing a new sensor) You would need to take the rear drum/disk off to see the tip of the sensor , the front toothed wheels are on the CV joint and easier to see i think they crack from rust underneath. In both cases the symptoms i had were ABS comeing on under light brakeing , no ABS light on although after i broke the rear sensor tip the light came on permenantly until i replaced the sensor
Dont know if this is any use but its what i found
Andy

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
The front rings are prone to rusting up and splitting this is most likely thing but the fault is common in 406s and its not always obvious what causes it some always seem to do it !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi thanks for that info, funnily enough I had a clip with the spring round that holds the brake shoe in place give way and runaround in the drum until i took apart and mended it. Where is this sensor perhaps it is that which is bent then? The ABS only pumps when very slow like coming to a standstill; although if the light comes on on the dash then it is all tickety boo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had exactly the same fault on mine, was a split ABS reluctor ring on the front n/s, had the O/S one do the same thing couple of years later.

Same fault, ABS coming on as you slowly come to a stop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My experience would say a front hub speed indicator ring (a splined ring) which has split. The hub lightly rusts, increases in diameter and because of this splits the ring around it - take each front wheel off and see if you can turn the splined ring , meaning its now lose on the hub (the give away because its normally a firm fit). If you find this, place a note here perhaps - I could give some ideas on changing one (i've done it) but others may have better ideas!
If the front seems okay it may be a rear sensor (the thing on the end of the wiring to each rear hub) and although cheap they can be a PIG to get out, so again leave a note here perhaps. Hope this helps. Shopping around, a front hub ring might be just £10.00-£15.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts