Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weird one? :(

I was asked if I could look at my brothers neighbours (51 plate) 307sw 2.0hdi, lovely well looked after motor in near mint condition owned by the lady from new.

It was slowly leaking gearbox oil from the shaft seal, so I said when I'm off work and around I'll sort it for you, so Friday off came the drivers front wheel, bearing holder under car and removal of driveshaft complete with hub to replace driveshaft oil seal, (wish I had only pulled shaft out enough to do seal) so, all done and completed...sounds easy I agree!

Refilled the oil, after checking everything was nice and tight I wanted to just check to see the abs light was off before I installed the wheel arch liner and wheel. The car had abs light showing before I reconnected the plug I then turned off ignition and restarted and the light was off and all was good.

Liner and wheel fitted it was ready to reverse off drive :)

Got in car and the abs light was permanently on and the speedo not working.

Now I know that the speedo is taken from the wheel sensors on the front of these cars having owned them for 5 yrs so out came my planet to hook up and see whats going on.

My planet is a pain in the ass trying to read certain ecu's on the 110hp's it just references the ECU and wont give me access to live data in parameters.

So I do test by ECU only and select safety system and change the reference under bosch to 5.7 from 5.3. this at least allows me to look at live data in parameters It shows the following:

n/s/f wheel sensor in Green text as 0mph.
o/s/f wheel sensor in Green text as 163mph.
n/s/r wheel sensor in Red text as 163mph.
o/s/r wheel sensor in Red text as 163mph.

Why the different colour texts?

Planet is telling me that 3 sensors are not seen i think? I can't understand this as the car passed its MOT 2 weeks ago with the mot guy telling (owner) about the seal. I even checked that no warning lamps were lit and everything was fine prior to me starting work as I have been caught out before with helping people when they had original faults showing and tried to blame me.

Anybody have a clue what is causing this as now I'm looking like a right idiot that has created a problem when there wasn't one there about the ABS?:nono:

cheers in advance :thumb:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Use a multimeter and read the resistances of the front/rear wheel sensors, they should all be more or less the same. [approx 1700 ohms IIRC..?] Any one wildly different will be suspect. If they all are roughly the same reading, do the same check, but at the ABS pump plug as the wiring to each wheel might be the issue.

Also check the plug on the ABS unit for water/corrosion as it is in a bit of a vulnerable place.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you had a look at fuse F7 (10amp), fuse in the engine compartment to see if it's blown?
I actually never checked any fuses as I never chopped any voltage cables, so im doubtful its a fuse but, hey you never know...I'll check Monday when Im back on the job.

cheers for the reply!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a multimeter and read the resistances of the front/rear wheel sensors, they should all be more or less the same. [approx 1700 ohms IIRC..?] Any one wildly different will be suspect. If they all are roughly the same reading, do the same check, but at the ABS pump plug as the wiring to each wheel might be the issue.

Also check the plug on the ABS unit for water/corrosion as it is in a bit of a vulnerable place.

Thanks for the reply, but there was no faults showing until I unplugged the drivers side abs to do shaft seal.

can't understand why these have popped up?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speedo comes from passenger side front sensor

are you sure as the passenger side is working ok in parameters if you spin the wheel but I have no speedo?

maybe it is a fuse popped blown? but I don't see how that happened...oh the joys of french cars! :(

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes speedo comes from passenger ABS sensor BUT if you had drivers shaft out and now it wont work it might be an early one with an actual speedo drive on the box as these are driven from the drivers side shaft output on the box and the plastic ring can be broken inside the housing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes speedo comes from passenger ABS sensor BUT if you had drivers shaft out and now it wont work it might be an early one with an actual speedo drive on the box as these are driven from the drivers side shaft output on the box and the plastic ring can be broken inside the housing.
If it was the old type how would I know the plastic ring was broken and what would or could be the fix? Pls don't tell me box off and opened up? :eek:

Thanks reliable

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No you can fix in situ but you need the shaft out again !!
I know there is a rubber ring on the driveshaft outside the oil seal (i take it thats like a dust cover) if i remove the oil seal again is the plastic ring reachable with fingers inside the box hole :p

lol sounds rude lol

I'm sure you know what I mean here.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No you need to take the 3 bolts out and remove the extension housing but unless there is a speedo drive on the top there is no point need to confirm if the drive is there or not

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No you need to take the 3 bolts out and remove the extension housing but unless there is a speedo drive on the top there is no point need to confirm if the drive is there or not

Would the housing you are referring to have the two bolts you undo enough to turn 90 degrees to enable the shaft to be removed as this is the centre bearing near the cam belt end of block.

I can confirm there is no speedo drive or pinion on top of this as I remember the aggro trying to get a socket up above shaft to lock on the bolt using a cv socket while my other hand was on top of this bearing housing....are we on about the same thing here?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts