Peugeot Forums banner

ABS fault

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  madbadandold 
#1 ·
My old 2002 1.4HdI has decided to play up and started flashing ABS fault then it would disappear. So when checked with reader nothing was logged. As I had a lot of work done on the front end(clutch, drive shafts) I decided to check there and found the RH sensor cable routed wrongly. I took it back to the garage who corrected that and gave the system a good check including the fluid level sensor system. The light came back and whilst it was on screen I got my reader on it with the engine running and it came on with it faulting the rear RH side sensor. So I took off the wheel, the calliper and then the its carrier( had to split them as the calliper gets in way of the access to the carrier bolts) and then the disc and noticed the gap between the sensor and hub was massive. I am surprised it was not a permanent fault as it was so far away. Anyway I removed the allen headed 5mm screw(very tight so needed a socket drive as opposed to a T handle allen key) and cleaned up the face and replaced it thinking job done. It went back as it should with the gap as it should have been although the Haynes does not give a measurement so if anybody knows that I would like to know. Anyway I put it all back together with locktight on the bolts and off I go pleased with myself. And "bing" on came the light, this time permanent and latched. So whether removing it finished it off or not I don't know but I have ordered a new one. I will update hopefully with good news soon!

#3 ·
Thanks for that. Where did you source the info then? It is weird as when I checked it before taking it off there was about1/8in gap and the fault did not latch, just a flash of the icon but no ding and ABS fault on the centre pod.( I think it was being triggered when going over a bump in the road as it was not always happening.) Now with it very close I am getting the full monty fail scenario of ding and icon and with the reader showing sensor not viable or something!
About the reader I am using. It is a lot better than using the laptop disc and cables. It is a Foxwell NT520 Pro. I bought it to use on the Honda ( you choose which make you want put on the reader)but have added the Opel and Peugeot makes too. Each add on is £65. It is genuine Peugeot as they get permission from the company to upload it and it comes with updates as required. It covers 30 models of their range. Has live data etc. You can add on up to 5 makes of car.

#4 ·
So after cleaning the back plate of rust and mounting the new sensor I had to use a washer "shim" to get what was the gap required to the hub. I ensured I cleaned the hub contact area of dirt and anything else to ensure the gap could be measured accurately. It looked right and I even measured it with feeler gauges though the access is awkward with the design of the backplate. Anyway off I go for a spin and the abs icon clears only to reappear a few moments later after the speed got up to 30. The messages logged this time were :2119 Fault code undefined please to the handbook
1208 Permanent stop lamp Switch
1129 Permanent Incorrect sonic Wheel on one of the four wheels coherence.
Live data showed 3 wheels at 49km.hr and Right Rear at 37km.hr
Restrip and another washer fitted(1.5mm) and this time light went off as soon as the ignition switch was on and no bother driving. Gap checked with a 1mm washer(easier to get in than the feelers) so jobs a good un. Not a difficult job but time consuming with jack and axle stand and fiddly so patience a must!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.