Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all been having a problem with my brakes. if i brake gently i get a fudding like the abs is kicking in. it does it all the time whether cold or hot

the abs light is now on but i wondered if anyone had this before. it seems like the abs is kicking in at the wrong time. it doesnt seem to be too bad when breaking hard or at very slow speed

·
Registered
5 Posts
We currently have this, we had an abs fault light come on, on Peugeot planet it said right rear sensor so our neighbour cleaned it, no light but still have that juddering when braking. Ours does it 40% of the time when out and now have no fault code at all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Remove rust from the mounting surfaces for the rear sensors.. You can unscrew the sensors through one of the wheel mounting holes.
Seartch this forum, and you will find lots of treads regarding this

Holt

·
Registered
27 Posts
once cleaned and gap set will the ABS light go out on its own or will it need to be reset with PP? only asking as I have had my sensor changed and the light is still on :/

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its the front brakes. i have taken the front left sensor off i cant see how i can get it any closer. if they not lined up will the computer show this or just say they are broken?

ps how hard is it to change the sensors. does it sound like the air pump?

·
Registered
28 Posts
its the front brakes. i have taken the front left sensor off i cant see how i can get it any closer. if they not lined up will the computer show this or just say they are broken?

ps how hard is it to change the sensors. does it sound like the air pump?
check where the wiring connects to the main loom under the wheel arch, unplug it check to see if there are any signs of deterioration at the conection.

easy to fit new ones just save yourself some time and buy original ones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
aquick update on my ABS fault: 3 attepts at fitting a new sensor.....1st two didnt clear the light, this last time I made sure I cleared every little bit of rust from where the sensor mounts as instructed by you helpful guys on here, clearing the rust properly and taking a little time and effort making sure the sensor is seated correctly has worked a treat!!!

so a huge "thank you" goes out to all that post helping others to overcome anoying problems and saving a forture in garage bills :)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right i have had a look on the internet and it seems im not alone with this issue. i dont suppose theres a recall on this is there?

anyway i unclipped the connectors. greased them put them back in.

i unbolted both sensors. (1 bolt had to be drilled out)

cleaned up as best i could then bolted them back up trying to get them as close as possible

went for a drive and still the problems pursists. im thinking front left sensor to be honest

i have tried finding a pic of how close a sensor should be without any luck? does anyone have one

does anyone know where the sensors are connected too and where its located?

i dont mind buying new sensors if it cures the issue from what i read this isnt always the case

what would happen if i disconnected the abs as it probably will be safer until i can get it fixed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're talking about the front wheel sensors there is no adjustment it's just a case of good clean and reseating them the rear wheel sensors you might be able to adjust the air gap by using a thin washer thus reducing the air gap but ensure you clean where they sit really well first.
If you still having problems and want to disconnect the abs system until you are able to fix, just disconnect anyone of the wheel sensors from the connections under the wheel arches at the front, your car will revert back to normal braking which is perfectly safe plus your dash will give audio beeps telling you that there is a braking fault also the stop light will flash.

Take your car to your local garage so they can pin point which sensor is giving you the fault which is better than playing around with all four of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can only speak for myself but the problem seams to persist when rust behind the sensor isnt fully removed, I couldnt get to the sensor very well with the disc on so I removed the caliper then the disc and this gave me the room I needed to give the area the sensor mounts to a really good clean (I used a metalwork file) making sure I had got rid of ALL the rust before putting the sensor back, it was at this point that I could see the sensor was now sitting much better and the gap looked correct with the sensor running perfectly parallel to the disc/hub, I also could see that the sensor's top and bottom edges were sitting flat and tight up against the mounting area.

It was only when I had totally removed all the rust and had a perfect flat surface to mount the sensor that I noticed the different way the sensor was sitting from my 1st 2 attempts as it was now perfectly inline with the disc/hub, where as before it looked to be on a very slight angle tilted away from the disc/hub (this must have been the reason it didnt work the 1st two times)!

Like the guys on here say time and time again...CLEAR ALL THE RUST and make sure you have a perfectly flat surface to mount the sensor on. When it comes to mounting the sensor it is held in place by one locating screw, dont just tighten it up and hope for the best, it has a very small amount of movement and could be lined up wrong so take a few seconds to check it now before you put everything back together! If all goes well you will like me be thanking the guys on here for all the help they offer as it saved me a lot of stress as well as money!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
to be honest im pretty good with cars. i havent seen a pic of how they should be

my local peugeot garage said about a metal cog that it reads. does this sound right mines a 2001 hdi 307?

·
Registered
27 Posts
im probably not the best to answer this but I will have a go anyway :)

near the end of the sensor about the last 5mm or so has the the sensory bit (if that makes sense), the sensor part sits maybe 2mm from the back of the hub, this is the bit your garage is on about as the two parts work together in order to keep the signal, the hub has this metal ring/cog thingy that the sensor works with, from what I have read on here.... the fault is almost always the sensor that isnt alined correctly (due to a build up of rust). The sensor has no adjustment so it should sit in the correct place as long as you have shifted ALL the rust, some have made the gap smaller by putting a shim behind the sensor then mounting it, as long as the sensor is sitting inline with the hub/disc and no more than 2mm away from the metal cog thingy it should be fine, the devil is in the detail...make sure where the sensor mounts is free from rust and double check how the sensor is lined up to the hub as it can move a fraction as its tightened up!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have made this on my 2002 307 as well, i used an old screwdriver and a hammer to remove the rust. At first i didn't believe there were any rust, all looked nice and smooth, but when i started with the screwdriver and hammer, the rust flakes started falling off, i used the screwdriver through the wheel hole, and ended with a metal file to smoothen out the surface. Before i mounted the sensor, i lubricated the surface with some copper grease to postpone the next rust attack. with the sensor mounted i had a gab of app 1mm to the wheel bearing. if you have to shim the sensor, i would believe you haven't removed all rust.

Holt

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think my issue may lie with the hub and cog the sensor and underneath are all clean it all fits back nicely

when i get 5 mins i will chip away at the rust and try to find this mystery cog. from looking i cant see anything

im sure this isnt a good thing lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
taking the caliper and disc off to give better access worked for me, then I could get a good look at where the sensor had been mounted, its a horse shoe shaped recess and the sensor fits tight as it slides in place. Check that its flat/flush in the recess and not tilted/twisted at the top or bottom. The end of the sensor should now be very close to the hub (cog) you probably wont be able to see the hub (cog) as it will be covered in gunk, get a rag, rotate the hub/wheel and clean the bit of the hub that is closest to the sensor and it should come up all nice and shiny :) from all the posts on this topic I would put my money on it being a sensor that's at fault and nothing more. Before you start you do need to know which wheel is causing the ABS light to come on and for that the ECU needs to be read, check the map to see who is the nearest member with Peugeot Planet.
It is a very rewarding feeling when you cure this fault yourself, even more so when its taken a few attempts before you get it right.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts