Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello evertone, I am new to the forum but could do with some help! My wife has a 307 307cc. The abs/esp warning light is permanently on. We have previously taken it to a Peugeot garage who did the diagnostics check and just advised us that it was a sensor issue. The battery recently died on the car and now the light is on again. Peugeot want £85 just to check the sensor again and don’t even knock this off of any subsequent work that is required. The car drives fine but clearly I am worried in case it is more than just a faulty sensor and wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue or could offer some advice?

·
Registered
226 Posts
If the abs/esp light is on, the systems don't work. You need to get the codes read, there's no avoiding that unfortunately. A few of us have the diagnostic equipment, you need to find someone local to you to help you out. Failing that, any decent indy can sort it out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The abs light can light due to dirt on the sensors which are located by the wheel hubs for each wheel. You should get the specific fault code(s) which tells you which sensor or more serious fault it is. You probably dont need another scan, you just need to know which faulty sensor it is to replace or clean which the dealer should tell you. Maybe they simply cleaned the sensor but it's actually electrically faulty? If it's the same fault they have not fixed it! I would complain. It's pretty cheap and easy to replace the wheel sensor but even cheaper to clean it which they may have done and it's not resolved the fault.

You can ignore the abs light until your mot is coming up or you want to sell, as it's a failsafe system and will not intefere with your breaking.

My abs system failed completely on my 207, and I bought a 2nd hand one from ebay for 60 quid, but they are a nightmare to fit as you have brake fluid to contend with, and finniky connections. It took me 3 days. The quality of the Teves ABS system used by Peugoet and many other manufacturers is notorious for failing after a few years, often reducing the car to scrap because of the major repair cost. The quality car brands like Toyota you never see in the scrappy use much better components.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Depending on the nature of the fault, braking might be affected, if for example the electronic brake force distribution is not functioning. Plus, emergency braking without ABS is no fun.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If the fault is indeed the ABS unit then fitting a service / exchange ABS unit with lifetime warranty is worth investing in if the car is a keeper.

I had to replace the ABS unit on my old 206 as the original pump failed on the hydraulic modulator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depending on the nature of the fault, braking might be affected, if for example the electronic brake force distribution is not functioning. Plus, emergency braking without ABS is no fun.
Obvously you will not get abs braking, it simply means you go back to normal braking. There are no real safety issues by the abs system not working. You can still drive the car. The only worry is, like with any fault light, eg a faulty seatbelt sensor, its a automatic mot fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the abs/esp light is on, the systems don't work. You need to get the codes read, there's no avoiding that unfortunately. A few of us have the diagnostic equipment, you need to find someone local to you to help you out. Failing that, any decent indy can sort it out.
Sorry I’m a newbie what does “indy” mean?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obvously you will not get abs braking, it simply means you go back to normal braking. There are no real safety issues by the abs system not working. You can still drive the car. The only worry is, like with any fault light, eg a faulty seatbelt sensor, its a automatic mot fail.

so If when it comes to the mot will they tell me what the fault is if they fail on the warning light or will they just tell me it’s needs fixing and then I have to go and get the charge the diagnosis done?

·
3,162 Posts
Hi...'indy'..independent garage..ie..small local workshop......mot ....will fail because the light is on...they will not tell you why......Its the tester job to inspect your vehicle as you present it...it fails because the light is on..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could also be similar to mine, the car jerked abit as well. Related to the crankshaft sensor... get intermittent rpm and fails to sync this against abs sensor, hence triggering a abs/esp fault. Sensors are not likely to fail as it is a passive sensor, often the connector is the problem.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
So from your initial entry the garage checked it and said it was a sensor fault. After that you said the battery was flat and when you sorted that the abs light came on again. So my question is after the garage gave you the car back was the abs light then off i.e. had they cleared the message after possible work on the sensors i.e cleaning them as dirt can affect the signal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So from your initial entry the garage checked it and said it was a sensor fault. After that you said the battery was flat and when you sorted that the abs light came on again. So my question is after the garage gave you the car back was the abs light then off i.e. had they cleared the message after possible work on the sensors i.e cleaning them as dirt can affect the signal?
Yes probably being a bit unfair on the Peugeot garage - when the lights first came on 2 years ago they did the diagnosis and we ended up having some work done to the automatic transmission, the lights then starting coming on intermittently again at the start of the year but since the battery was changed they have been on permanently. The battery was changed by the RAC due to the car not having been driven during "lockdown". When my wife asked the garage why the sensor light would have come on again they were very quick to say it wouldn't be related to previous work but would be something else but again we would have to pay for the diagnosis. Not being very knowledgeable about cars its just frustrating that they have you over a barrel by needing to have this diagnosis done.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Try and locate a forum member with a reader if you do not want to buy a dedicated Peugeot one. Just ask on the forum if you don't mind disclosing your location and somebody might reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try and locate a forum member with a reader if you do not want to buy a dedicated Peugeot one. Just ask on the forum if you don't mind disclosing your location and somebody might reply.
yeh kinda where i started when i discovered the Peugeot planet but was told need 20 posts hence the discussion and posts - I will try putting it out there on a forum as well though to see if any memeber will help cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No need for a begging letter! Despite my rather cynical outlook on life particular considering what’s going on in the world today, my faith that there are genuinely nice people out there has been restored! I was contacted by Windy1603 a member of this forum who whilst working near Birmingham offered very kindly to drive to my house and run the diagnostics. Not only did this gentlemen do that but he also managed to identify the problem which is a relatively cheap and easy fix apparently, “faulty brake light switch” but later the same day even sent me a link how to do this. Incidentally since running the diagnostics and cleaning up a number of erroneous errors my Abs light is no longer showing. If it returns I will then change the brake light switch as my first fix. Once again a massive thanks to Windy1603 and the world would be a better place if everyone was as selfless as him. I genuinely wonder what would have been the outcome if I had simply taken it to a garage, but suspect I would have faced a serious bill to rectify what appears to have turned out a cheap fix. Happy days!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts