Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fix a friend's 307SW which has the (seemingly) very common ABS/ESP issues. The car is a 2003 2.0HDi and we had it connected to a Snap-On fault code reader yesterday and were told there were 2 problems logged:

1) Rear-Left ABS sensor
2) ABS ECU fault

Also did a quick road test in the car with the diagnostic plugged in, to check the values coming from all 4 abs sensors and the reading from the rear-left sensor kept on going from somewhere in the region of 5.00 to zero.

So.....we got a new sensor and replaced it, cleaned the hub surface but the problem persists. Reading around I've now learned the sensor 'bar' has to be 1.5-2mm from the hub and I think, in retrospect, it's sitting out further so I need to ensure it's paralell and place a washer behind the sensor to close the gap.

Other questions:

Could a defective sensor also cause the ABS ECU fault code?

If the ABS ECU has to be replaced, am I right in thinking it's mated up with the pump? Is it easy to replace this unit OR does it require coding to the car and an ABS pump bleed that can only be performed by a dealer via diagnostic?

Other than re-checking the sensor-to-hub distance, should I check anything else?

Once the issues are fixed, will the fault lights switch off OR will they have to be erased with a diagnostic tool?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
1. Please take the time to post an introduction. We've recently had a large influx of people signing up just for help, not contributing anything back or even saying thanks. So the regulars are getting a bit fed up and might not reply.

2. Please state where you are located.

3. Go back to the Peugeot Forums page and type your introduction into the following section:
Introductions - Peugeot Forums

Never had to replace an ABS ECU so don't really know what is involved. I would imagine it is a straight swap. If the pump and pipes aren't disturbed then there should be no need for bleeding the system.

It would be better for you to get someone with the correct Peugeot diagnostics to read the car. This will give far more information than a generic scanner. Plus a some generic scanners may be able to read the ABS ECU but will be unable to clear fault codes if required. Search for Peugeot Planet Map to find someone near you who may be able to help.

I have read that some ABS fault messages disappear on their own once the fault has been rectified and the car driven a few miles. There may well be faults still logged in the ECU which could then be safely cleared.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts