Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there have a 51 plate 307 1.6 16v and have had an abs fault for 6 months now I replaced all wheel sensors with no success, cleaned the back plate on the rear wheels and checked the gap, had a guy from Hull with Peugeot Planet call and he said its giving off different voltages and he couldn't fix the fault and finally the car has been in a garage twice on one occasion they said they fixed the fault of which the abs light did stay out but when braking at slow speeds the brake peddle jumped and the brakes sounded like there was no pads left. Eventually the abs light came back on and the braking returned to normal where I can pull up without judder but once again no abs. I have paid out in excess of £300 to mechanics and diagnostic people and still in the same situation where it all began no abs and the orange light lit up. I have on a couple of occasions drove a few miles before the abs light warning comes on but this is very rare. I am not prepared to waste more money paying people who simply don't have a clue what the fault is but still charge me for their services. Any help would be greatly appreciated I have heard there is a Yew Sensor could this cause the fault or could it be the abs pump even through no diagnostics have shown it to be the pump, my gut feeling is it has something to do with the front near side wheel as when i've felt things it seems worse from that wheel.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi there have a 51 plate 307 1.6 16v and have had an abs fault for 6 months now I replaced all wheel sensors with no success, cleaned the back plate on the rear wheels and checked the gap, had a guy from Hull with Peugeot Planet call and he said its giving off different voltages and he couldn't fix the fault and finally the car has been in a garage twice on one occasion they said they fixed the fault of which the abs light did stay out but when braking at slow speeds the brake peddle jumped and the brakes sounded like there was no pads left. Eventually the abs light came back on and the braking returned to normal where I can pull up without judder but once again no abs. I have paid out in excess of £300 to mechanics and diagnostic people and still in the same situation where it all began no abs and the orange light lit up. I have on a couple of occasions drove a few miles before the abs light warning comes on but this is very rare. I am not prepared to waste more money paying people who simply don't have a clue what the fault is but still charge me for their services. Any help would be greatly appreciated I have heard there is a Yew Sensor could this cause the fault or could it be the abs pump even through no diagnostics have shown it to be the pump, my gut feeling is it has something to do with the front near side wheel as when i've felt things it seems worse from that wheel.
Have you had a diagnostic ran on it to find out exactly which ABS sensor is at fault?

C

·
0 Posts
Seem to recall lad at work had similar with his 307, think it turn out to be bad wiring under fuse box. But I'd need to speak to him to confirm it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

The person who did the Peugeot planet diagnostics was Fozzy3k on this site he charged me £25 and said it was giving wrong voltage readings and everytime he cleared the codes he got 200 yards in the car and the abs light come on again

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the abs fault on my 52plate 1.4 petrol. had the back right offside sensor replaced but after a month the fault came back, it turned out it was a defective sensor so got it replaced for free. both times I had the abs light on it felt like the front nearside brake was causing all the juddering/banging.
I had it plugged in at a normal garage and the fault code said straight away which sensor was at fault.

·
11,731 Posts
Fozzy's a good fella. Its really between the two of you what he charged and what he offered.

For example I set a price then make it clear what I'll do and what I won't. It usually involves a code read, clear then a quick run or engine start to bring up fresh codes.

I then recommend what the customer needs to do then offer to return and check and clear codes after the repair has been done.

It might or might not be similar but I did a diagnostic at the weekend for a 407 member with ABS problems. The voltage on the sensor showing the fault was well down, as was the voltage on the battery.

But clearing codes won't fix a mechanically or electronically faulty part. I don't know if you were expecting this to happen?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

All I was seeking was a good honest answer of what is causing the problem a few hundred pounds later i'm still no wiser and still have the same fault and not one mechanic has told me exactly what it is as though there is no way to determine what it is.

I am left with the same predicament do I replace every abs part bit by bit which will cost me a fortune or try once again to find a mechanic who can tell me exactly what the problem is surely its not that hard to determine if its the wiring, abs pump, sensors etc, to be told all the voltages are wrong dosen't tell me a thing also the garage what cleared the fault blamed it on numerous things so I got the impression they had no idea first off they said I had the wrong drive shaft on the o/side front which I know is a lie as its a genuine Peugeot one, then they said the abs wing was twisted on the near side front which is also a lie, then they said the front near side sensor was faulty but I had a new one before they took a look then they said it was an electrical short so I hope you can understand why I am frustrated and reading other peoples abs problems they have gone through what I have paying lots of money to people who cant give a genuine answer as to why its happening.

·
11,731 Posts
All I was seeking was a good honest answer of what is causing the problem a few hundred pounds later i'm still no wiser and still have the same fault and not one mechanic has told me exactly what it is as though there is no way to determine what it is.
Sadly that seems to be the case with many so called mechanics these days. They rely on Autodata rather than life experience.

I've been called to fix ABS faults on many occasions. Almost all are sensor gap issues but there have been times when its been:

Broken wire going to ABS unit

Broken wire on ABS sensor

Unplugged ABS sensor

Damaged magnetic ring

Bad earth

Dirty fuse in engine bay fuse box

Dirty connections on ABS unit due to cracked or missing wheel arch liner

From what you've said so far and what Fozzy has diagnosed, I'd say you've got an electrical current issue. So I'd start by checking all wiring, making sure all connections are clean (use a full can of electrical contact cleaner) and all earth points are good. How's your battery?

Use Planet to check voltages at other components, and lets get some references from other members as to what a typical voltage should be at the sensors.

There is a yaw rate sensor, but I can't say I've encountered that before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts