Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. It's almost a year to the day that I ordered my first 3008 and I've got to say it's been a real love / hate relationship with Peugeot.

I think the delivery issues, coupled with the problems I had driving the manual GT-Line due to me not having French sized feet soured the experience for me, and while I really wanted to love the GT there are a lot of little niggles that wind me up and I'm probably going to cut my losses and move on.

It's a difficult decision, not just because of the financial loss of changing the car, but also because there is so much to really like about the 3008. It's going to be difficult to find something with the same sort of style and equipment levels for anything near the price.

Here's my little Love - Hate list:

LOVE - The overall style and finish of the car, it's gorgeous both inside and out.

HATE - The fact that the 2.0 diesel sounds like an old Massey Ferguson tractor. It's so noisy when cold it's downright embarrassing, my firms 10 year old Navarra pickup is quieter.

LOVE - The luxury interior, loads of plush materials and soft touch plastics, would put some limo's to shame.

HATE - The un-limo like, unsettled, skittery drive on anything other than dead smooth tarmac. Driving on the local country roads around here sometimes feels like a wrestling match.

LOVE - Adaptive cruise control. Never had it before, wouldn't consider buying another car that didn't have it.

HATE - Awful road noise at motorway cruising speeds, seems much worse in the GT that it was in the GT-Line. It's really tiring and I'd have expected a £34k car to have better sound proofing.

LOVE - The power and acceleration from the 180hp motor.

HATE - The silly artificial engine noise in sport mode and 39 mpg

LOVE - LED headlights, another first for me and I'm surprised at how much better they are than traditional lights.

HATE - The stuttering low resolution reversing camera that is absolutely useless when you need it most, i.e. in low light and inclement weather. My Blackvue dash cam is 1000 times better but unfortunately I can't get that to display on the built in infotainment screen.

LOVED - The cloth/leather seats in the GT-Line, really comfortable.

HATE - the slippery leather seats in the GT, and the fact that I have to set the seat so low because of the non-optional pano roof.

I know these are all niggly and subjective but after spending a lot more than I'd originally intended buying the car, the little things, like the fact that they chose to save a couple of quid on the build by not fitting a sensor to the washer bottle, really wind me up.

Any suggestions as to what I should consider for my next car with a budget of £25k - £30k would be appreciated. So far I've looked at the VW T-Roc (nasty interior, all hard plastics), and the Hyundai Kona (cheap looking interior and no adaptive cruise control).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi guys and gals. It's almost a year to the day that I ordered my first 3008 and I've got to say it's been a real love / hate relationship with Peugeot.

I think the delivery issues, coupled with the problems I had driving the manual GT-Line due to me not having French sized feet soured the experience for me, and while I really wanted to love the GT there are a lot of little niggles that wind me up and I'm probably going to cut my losses and move on.

It's a difficult decision, not just because of the financial loss of changing the car, but also because there is so much to really like about the 3008. It's going to be difficult to find something with the same sort of style and equipment levels for anything near the price.

Here's my little Love - Hate list:

LOVE - The overall style and finish of the car, it's gorgeous both inside and out.

HATE - The fact that the 2.0 diesel sounds like an old Massey Ferguson tractor. It's so noisy when cold it's downright embarrassing, my firms 10 year old Navarra pickup is quieter.

LOVE - The luxury interior, loads of plush materials and soft touch plastics, would put some limo's to shame.

HATE - The un-limo like, unsettled, skittery drive on anything other than dead smooth tarmac. Driving on the local country roads around here sometimes feels like a wrestling match.

LOVE - Adaptive cruise control. Never had it before, wouldn't consider buying another car that didn't have it.

HATE - Awful road noise at motorway cruising speeds, seems much worse in the GT that it was in the GT-Line. It's really tiring and I'd have expected a £34k car to have better sound proofing.

LOVE - LED headlights, another first for me and I'm surprised at how much better they are than traditional lights.

HATE - The stuttering low resolution reversing camera that is absolutely useless when you need it most, i.e. in low light and inclement weather. My Blackvue dash cam is 1000 times better but unfortunately I can't get that to display on the built in infotainment screen.

HATE - the slippery leather seats in the GT, and the fact that I have to set the seat so low because of the non-optional pano roof.

I know these are all niggly and subjective but after spending a lot more than I'd originally intended buying the car, the little things, like the fact that they chose to save a couple of quid on the build by not fitting a sensor to the washer bottle, really wind me up.

Any suggestions as to what I should consider for my next car with a budget of £25k - £30k would be appreciated. So far I've looked at the VW T-Roc (nasty interior, all hard plastics), and the Hyundai Kona (cheap looking interior and no adaptive cruise control).
That is a great list indeed, but may I ask what exactly is the main reason for ditching the car completely? There usually is one main reason why....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally I would seriously consider the skoda karoq - it's not as good looking, but they are seriously reliable and the top version comes in at around £28k before any discounts (if you go for the 1.5 petrol which the magazines all rave over and you should get over 40mpg).
it's sad to hear you needing to move on though. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Geoff.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Denzel - I would say my biggest gripe is the skittish ride and road noise, both of which are probably due to the 19" wheels that come as standard on the GT. The GT-Line I had previously was much quieter but it also had the Focal sound which I believe adds extra sound proofing.

@Octoberon - The Skoda is a good call and one I'd overlooked. VW without the badge premium has got to be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
@Denzel - I would say my biggest gripe is the skittish ride and road noise, both of which are probably due to the 19" wheels that come as standard on the GT. The GT-Line I had previously was much quieter but it also had the Focal sound which I believe adds extra sound proofing.

@Octoberon - The Skoda is a good call and one I'd overlooked. VW without the badge premium has got to be worth a look.
I understand, I have the 5008 GT-Line and even on 17" winter wheels the road noise at motorway speeds is quite bad, it is something that surprises me too that they did not install better sound insulation.
The ride quality is actually very good on my car, I mean it is just the way I like it, something between comfort and sporty setup. But I understand your reasons perfectly, I also think Karoq would be a nice choice, Skoda makes quality cars without the badge premium.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hi Norseman

Firstly, thanks very much (NOT) for drawing my attention to feet and pedals. I used to love driving my wife's A1 S-Line but since you mentioned the above I have now noticed I have the same problem and hadn't realised it before! :)

As far as your list is concerned, I agree with your 'LOVES' (except acc) but only really agree with the reversing camera 'HATE'. The artificial engine noise is a waste of time but not a 'HATE' for me.

Other ‘HATES’ for me include the lack of physical a/c controls and the heated seat controls that don’t default to off when the ignition is turned off.

I too have been looking at alternatives for my next car and agree with your criticisms of the T-Roc and Kona. I am probably in a different position to you, in that I am purchasing my GT via PCP so I have a date to work towards in two years’ time. Hopefully a few new alternative models will be introduced during this time for further consideration. One model I might consider is the 2008 with redesigned interior and exterior to mirror the 3008, the only problem is, it is still a Peugeot!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh the 1.6 BlueHDi is also a tractor when cold too :) My old series 1 1.8 TDCI block in the Mk2 focus sounded less tinny clatter. The TDCI took less time to sound clattery (typically I'll start the engine and give it a minute for the oil to circulate before driving especially if cold or if the route takes the A3 before the engine is warm).

Yes, I noticed that too - the RR Evoke is far more settled and you can feel that. It's quite a hard ride (I assume to control the roll) but I noted that skitter when originally test driving. Given we do most on road :D with some bad tarmac (weybridge roads are like dirt tracks with all the potholes).

The 1.6 allure (17" wheels) has road noise but not too bad. We do a lot of long journeys. Compared to the Mk2 focus (we've done trips to/from the south of france), it's ok however all car's noise dampening materials compact and degrade over time. Then it's down to the design of the car components (resonation etc) that play the key role.

The 1.6 could have about 30nm more (which the new ones have I believe in boosted bhp). Given the RPM range for the power band is narrow, increasing the rev range with the sport button doesn't do too much for it, however it does make car respond to accelerator pressure quicker. Useful for overtaking with the EAT6 gearbox, the 1.6 doesn't have much oomph fully loaded at the french 130km/h roads with hills, it will get up them but accelerating around things isn't going to happen - even with a sports button. The allure sports mode doesn't have any audio electrical additions.. so you just get the natural engine noise.

Once warmed up, over a 60+ mile motorway cruise at 70mph I got 55mpg. If cold or around town that plumets - our typical is 45mpg average.

The camera works for me although I can see how if you're used to faster it could be an issue.

I have a the allure leather option with 8way driver seat. Seems comfy although I think the focus had more depth to the padding in the rear seats.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi guys and gals. It's almost a year to the day that I ordered my first 3008 .....
Great list and totally agree.

Still, my biggest annoyance and one that has taken away any enjoyment that I get from the car is the road/tyre noise that makes every motorway journey tiring and unenjoyable. Similarly for some routine journeys too.

I live in Rural Northern Ireland and the roads are not the best or smoothest. Even after 8 months, I still find myself occasionally turning off the radio in disbelief to truly "appreciate" the levels of cabin noise! ... HATEFUL! Added to that the fact that going over any small pothole makes the car skittish...

I've only myself to blame though, through ignorance. When I test drove the car, they had an allure as a tester (presumably on 17 inch wheels). Additionally, my test drive was conducted on a network of new roads which had recently been constructed around the dealership. During the test drive, I was commenting on how it was the smoothest, most quiet car that I had even driven! :rolleyes: I went back to the showroom and looked over the shiny GT line that they had on display and wanted one (manual), never realising that the bigger wheels would have an impact ... nor considering that my impression of the car had been formulated on those lovely, smooth new roads!

Anyhow, the other "dislikes" that I have are with the heating controls. I realise for aesthetics and convenience they have been incorporated into the touchscreen, but IMO the implementation doesn't work well and is potentially dangerous! On a couple of occasions I have found myself looking at the screen while changing temperatures and when I have looked back at the road have been nearly in the ditch! It's got to the stage now where I have to plan in advance when I can change the temperatures, depending on the straightness of the road ahead and traffic in front of me! Traditional dials are so much better!

Another thing is the apparent thinness of the paint. I know that manufacturers are now using water based paints, but it just seems so thin on this car. I had 3 paint chips in the first month alone. 2 of those being on doors. It annoys me every time I look at the car. I have a red one which makes it worse, considering they didn't put a matching primer coat on underneath... it's just white! In hindsight, I would have gone for the pearlescent white (which I love BTW!) which wouldn't show up the chips so readily.

I love the shape of the car and the interior, but the things outlined above (and in the OP) take the shine off it for me. :mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Agree with you on the lagging low res reversing camera, truly awful, worse than ones on many 10 year old+ cars, embarrassing :mad:

I put the slightly skittish ride down to it's very light weight at just 1250kg, a good 200kg+ less than many equivalent sized crossovers. It is much better than the Ateca that's for sure (which weighs about the same).

I don't think I've ever had to change the temperature since getting the car in December, just leave it on Auto and let it do it's thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting list - I tend to agree throughout (although can't comment on engine as I drive 1.2 manual)

I have also found myself contemplating my next car choice - I find this unusual because I don't hate my 3008, in fact I really like it, but I don't LOVE it all round like I have with cars before, maybe that's the reason.

I have my heart set on an Alfa Stelvio next. Maybe pushing the budget you mentioned slightly but I don't think they can be beaten in the mid-price SUV market. They're appearing on the used market now too!

·
Registered
50 Posts

Have you checked the presure of the wheels ? If presure is too big you feel every bump of the road. (just a thought).:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts

Have you checked the presure of the wheels ? If presure is too big you feel every bump of the road. (just a thought).:confused:
When I got my new car (P5008), the pressure was 3,4bar on all wheels, very bumpy .... :nono:

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I got my new car (P5008), the pressure was 3,4bar on all wheels, very bumpy .... :nono:
All new cars come with higher presure for transport safety on truck. But it is the dealer's responsibility to check and alter the presure to correct value for customer delivery. But seems that very few dealers do know their job...:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the Active 1.6 diesel (120) having originally intended to go for the Allure version. The main reason for my decision to go for the Active was that I was very wary of ending up with deteriorated ride comfort with the bigger 18 inch alloys and in any case I actually preferred the look of the 17 inch alloys against the look of the diamond cut 18s. Also the Allure spec had little much extra of interest to me above the Active when I dug down into it.

I live in Rep of Ireland where the roads surfaces are much worse than UK and I have to say the ride comfort is very good on mine and not at all skitty. Neither do I have any problem whatsoever with tyre noise. The car is really comfortable on the road and I have also found the 1.6 to be remarkably quiet for a diesel. Retuning 54 mpg average over 1200 miles since purchase so no complaints on that end either for a heavy SUV.

I sympathise with Diamonddec and others who are finding the 18 inch versions are skitty and noisey and I could surely see this being the case as I have experienced similar with other cars in the past fitted with bigger alloys.

My reversing camera is actually very good in its definition and several people have commented how good it is! One minor gripe is that it picks up road film very easily due to its positioning on the rear hatch and if it does not get a regular wipe between washes this does effect it badly so worth keeping an eye out for that but its no real biggy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Checked the pressures this morning all 4 showing 30 PSI (cold) so possibly a tad underinflated. Pretty sure the skittishness is entirely down to the 19" wheels on the GT.

The GT-Line I had previous to the GT didn't rattle my teeth over every expansion joint and minor pothole but that could have been down to the cloth seats which seemed to have much better padding than the leather in the GT, as well as the 18" wheels.

I swore I'd never have another car with big wheels after my GTC VXR which was spine jarring on 20" rims, but unfortunately there wasn't an option of smaller rims on the GT unless I had grip control, which I didn't want.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I went for the grip control specifically to get smaller wheels as I'd been burned by the combo of 19's and specifying sports suspension on my DS5 which reviews said was too stiff even without the lowered suspension lol.

Don't have any probs with comfort or noise and I'd say it is much quieter than the navarra which I have driven, but I do have the focal audio. Can't say I slide off the seats either and find them quite supportive.

I guess everyone expects different things from a car but it all sounds a bit nit pickey and I doubt other cars are better, especially the navarra.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, I never intended to buy a Navara, I'm a field service engineer and I regularly drive one for work, much of the time off road, and the Navara is very capable in that regard. The Navara comment was in relation to the engine noise. Nissan have done a brilliant job of soundproofing the Navara, with the bonnet down there is barely any engine noise. By comparison the Peugeot diesel sounds like a bag of spanners in a cement mixer when it's cold.

I've never been a huge fan of leather seats, for the same reason you wont find them in many high performance cars and I certainly wouldn't have specified them, but I was in a hole having paid a significant amount of money for a car I couldn't drive safely and the GT with the auto gearbox was the solution to that specific problem.

With hindsight I should have just sold the GT line, but Peugeot and Griffin did me a great deal on the GT that didn't leave me thousands of pounds out of pocket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts