Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A warning about automatic foot or NOT foot operating boot!

Just had a bad experience today with the automatic boot, as I now have a 2-inch gash on my head!
I was at a garden Centre and just loading the boot and had some bags of compost on the ground. A lady in another car was trying to get turned round and I kicked the bag out of her way. The next thing I know I am hit on the head with boot lid and apart from swearing I then put my hand to my head and realised I was pouring with blood!
Not a good experience and all I can think is that the bag that I had pushed with my foot had activated the boot automatically. The boot did stop but not before leaving me with a very bad cut to my head.
This is just a warning to others to be very careful I know it was probably my fault however someone that is older and more frail may have had a lot worse experience.
I have now disabled mine from the automatic foot operation as I have found it very hit and miss anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just had a bad experience today with the automatic boot, as I now have a 2-inch gash on my head!
I was at a garden Centre and just loading the boot and had some bags of compost on the ground. A lady in another car was trying to get turned round and I kicked the bag out of her way. The next thing I know I am hit on the head with boot lid and apart from swearing I then put my hand to my head and realised I was pouring with blood!
Not a good experience and all I can think is that the bag that I had pushed with my foot had activated the boot automatically. The boot did stop but not before leaving me with a very bad cut to my head.
This is just a warning to others to be very careful I know it was probably my fault however someone that is older and more frail may have had a lot worse experience.
I have now disabled mine from the automatic foot operation as I have found it very hit and miss anyway.
Sounds like more hit than miss! (sorry)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the warning, wasn't that sold on the foot operation anyway and was thinking of maybe disabling it in case the kids get hurt (when it arrives).
Hope you head is better soon

·
Registered
57 Posts
This happened to a sales lady in a Peugeot dealership when she was showing me the dropped floor in the boot !!!!, and I could see that it could be problematic more than an asset, hence I didnt order it as an extra, more to go wrong.
As an aside, in the local supermarket the other day, somebody with a Renault (I think) used their remote key to open their boot, just as I passed the back of the vehicle, didnt do any harm, but would have caught a small child on the head easily enough.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The automatic tailgate has been mentioned previously but not in respect of your problem. It is quite forceful and difficult to stop but a head in the way obviously does the trick! The Peugeot video shows the presenter putting his arm between the door and body work to make it stop but members agreed they wouldn't dare try.

I like the automatic tailgate because it has a show off factor but if you get it wrong and it does'nt work you can look a bit foolish.

Hope your head gets better soon by the way burnm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Seems like an open and shut case to me....Sorry...glad i didn`t order it, i saw a video of that German dude with the glasses on demonstrating it on youtube and he nearly got the same so i decided not to order it.

Reactions: Jill

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bump on the head. The motorised boot is a great (show off) feature but I can see many people having mishaps with it.

I myself nearly caught my hand in it when I was test fitting the towbar, I was kneeling down on the floor with my hand/arm on the boot floor and the other hand fitting the towbar when I triggered the boot closing which would have crushed my arm if I hadn't moved it quickly.

You can of course disable the foot action by pressing the button on the boot lid, I think because it's new we need to be a bit wary of it and make sure we consider it when doing anything "out of the ordinary" around the boot area.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bump on the head. The motorised boot is a great (show off) feature but I can see many people having mishaps with it.

I myself nearly caught my hand in it when I was test fitting the towbar, I was kneeling down on the floor with my hand/arm on the boot floor and the other hand fitting the towbar when I triggered the boot closing which would have crushed my arm if I hadn't moved it quickly.

You can of course disable the foot action by pressing the button on the boot lid, I think because it's new we need to be a bit wary of it and make sure we consider it when doing anything "out of the ordinary" around the boot area.
Could you really crush your arm though? A: Is the motor strong enough and B: Wouldn't the anti pinch stop this?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Today has been a discovery day, trying to understand more of my cars many features.

I cannot seem to figure out the function of the dashboard switch (to the right of the steering wheel) for opening the electronic tailgate.

When the engine is running, you can push the switch twice and the boot opens, but only slightly. It then doesn't open electronically, so you have to pull it open manually. If you only push the switch once, a message on the left of the instrument panel, tells you to push it again.

Does anyone know how this dash switch works?

The foot kicking open/close operation works very well and has opened and closed the car every single time I've used it, but the operation of this dash switch is odd.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Just tried the dash button with the engine off, and it works just fine. Two pushes opens the tailgate fully electronically and another two pushes then closes it fully.

If you stop somewhere with the engine still running and someone outside needs to open the tailgate (to load/unload), I wonder how this is supposed to work?

Doesn't do that when I got out and the engine was running. Perhaps it's a fail safe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just tried the dash button with the engine off, and it works just fine. Two pushes opens the tailgate fully electronically and another two pushes then closes it fully.

If you stop somewhere with the engine still running and someone outside needs to open the tailgate (to load/unload), I wonder how this is supposed to work?

Doesn't do that when I got out and the engine was running. Perhaps it's a fail safe.
Haven't used electric tailgate in this country (yet) but on hire cars in the states both the electric sliding doors and the tailgate can't be opened unless the car is in neutral and the handbrake is on, just a thought.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Regarding the hands free opening, to be noted that in the handbook they advise to lock the car (or disable the function?) during washing. Especially automatic roller washing I suppose !

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

I thought mine did open when the engine was running, I'll have to check now.

A thought has crossed my mind about using the dashboard button in a car park. Without being able to see properly in a line of cars, opening the tailgate could cause a collision with a passing car, pedestrian or cyclist. I've only used the button to assist my wife who seems to have a problem waving her foot in the correct manner.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Quite bizarre. Have been out for a drive in my car and now the dash button to electronically open the boot works everytime.

I tried with the engine on, engine off, door open, seatbelt off and on every occasion a double push on the button opens and closes the boot fully. A single push when opening causes it to immediately stop, and another push closes it. Just a great feature.

Perhaps economy mode had kicked in when I was sitting on the drive and trying it earlier on. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Not sure if the 3008 goes into battery save mode a lot sooner than other cars, but it might explain some of the anomalies with electrics some of us are getting. Peugeot really need to fit something with a bit more Ooomph, especially if you have a panoramic sunroof, electric tailgate as well as the electric windows, and like to shut everything with a long press on the keyfob or door handle with the engine off.

·
Registered
2021-1.2 GT Premium-Auto-Nimbus Grey-Leather-Pano roof
193 Posts
I was parked in the drive the other day with the engine off.

I pressed the interior button twice to open the hatch. Whilst the hatch door was opening, I opened the driver's door. The hatch stopped the instant I opened the door.

I got out and closed the driver's door and then opened the hatch the rest of the way using the key fob button.

I assume that in the original scenario if I had stayed in the car, closed the driver's door, I would have had to press the interior button twice again for the hatch to continue opening.

Lee789 - I think a long press on the close button on the fob closes the windows (not sure if it's front and back) and the sunroof and also closes the blind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.