Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum, never owned a diesel or Peugeot but I want something different, so here is my milestone..... I've thought long and hard about the type of car I'm looking for, the sort of power I want, the cheapness, the looks and all around a good car to drive, I've seen mixed things about a 307 (both petrol and diesel) like most cars, they all have there draw backs but hey, it's part of owning a car.

I've got £1,000 to spend on a 307 HDi 2.0....

Looking for low miles (I've seen one with just 94k on which is good for a Diesel)
Service history I'm not too bothered about as such
It's gotta be completely out of the showroom stock
Gotta be black, that's a must for the whole look I'm going for

so next thing, upgrades/Mods

Hybrid turbo
Injectors
Intercooler
Coilovers
17" Alloys (From a Pug)
Straight through 2.5" Exhaust (made by myself)
Remap
Solid Flywheel

That's all I got from a 10 minute search on the net but again, I'm no wiz kid with Pugs or Diesels, lol Anything I gotta do to the car like EGR delete, DPF delete? Anything?

·
Registered
548 Posts
A 137BHP will probably come from the factory with a DPF and if removed and replaced with a straight through pipe will fail the MOT.
If you want to remove DPF you will have to hollow it out but leave box in place - technically could still fail but as it is currently only a visual inspection most will pass.

If looking at more power then keep the DMF - far better to handle higher power output, much smoother.

Stock injectors, intercooler, exhaust are fine. Just a good service and a sensible remap is what you need.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Service history IS important as a badly serviced one will be at the point of needing a new turbo AND rockers due to dirty oil flowing around full of carbon deposits

Diesels NEED clean oil !

I have a 307 with the engine you want here 89000 miles turbo is stuffed due to neglect by last owner full service history prior to them very tidy car overall but at the age it is its worth more in parts !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay guys, thanks for the heads up with stuff and yeah I think I'll keep the DPF after you saying it's better to keep it, also what can the engines go up to power wise without straining the hell out of it? I'm aiming for about 200BHP and it still been drivable daily for me and the misses, I know diesels are mainly all about torque soooo.... would 200BHP be pushing it too much or is it a good aim?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
As far as I know, Peugeot did a 90, 110 and maybe a 136 so an extra 64 or 90 BHP may be asking way too much. There's also the extra strain on the clutch and gearbox to consider. If you're wanting that kind of output from the engine maybe the 307 isn't really the car you should be looking at.

With the budget you mentioned you are going to be limited in the cars available and you may find that more important jobs need doing from the start which will eat into whatever budget you had planned for modifications. Not to mention that the insurance company will need to be informed of any power/performance modifications to ensure the insurance is actually valid. Yes you can keep quiet about any mods but it's one hell of a risk to take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was only buying the car for 1k and insurance will always be told about the mods I do, regardless of how much it'll cost, I have money for servicing, I got £500 for servicing, that's new brakes all round, oil, fuel, air filters, clean oil, New injectors and it'll only be run on Shell V Power, modding I'll be doing over time as I don't plan on getting rid for at least 5 years, I try keep my cars as long as I can......

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
If you want 200hp from a diesel you will get it BUT your fuel economy will be as good with a 200hp petrol engine :)

I don't really understand why people buy an economy based engine to tune

A 200hp petrol engine running on lpg will be way cheaper to run AND cleaner and more reliable its a no brainer for me

I have a v6 espace 3 litre 220 hp runs on lpg does better miles per pound than the diesel espace

90 miles for £10 of lpg
60 miles for £10 of diesel
V6 is smoother quieter and cheaper to run

Same applies to more modern diesels but the above is a direct comparison in real life conditions as I own both vehicles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts