Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. When you buckle up should the icons for the rear seatbelts stay red? On mine they do, even when the seats are empty. The warning light goes out after a short time but I wonder if there's a defective weight switch there?

2. The metal strap that holds the back box silencer rusted in half so I've got a new one. But when fitting it I noticed that the box has another lug and rubber mount at its front side. Does the standard Pug have both the built-in front lug and the separate strap, or is the strap an aftermarket addition? Had to wonder this as hanging the exhaust on a single rubber mount seems a bit iffy to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi,

I used to get to the end of my road (about 10 to 15 seconds drive) before the warning lights would go out for the empty seats. Yes, it's normal so don't worry.

I had all three brackets fail on my exhaust and I replaced all three with aftermarket or home made brackets. I had one mounting point on the back box, one bracket on the exhaust pipe just in front of the back box and one bracket on the exhaust pipe around where the gear stick would be above. I didn't notice a second mounting on the back box (which was the original Peugeot factory fitted back box). Should have said mine was a 1.6 HDi. I suspect there are different exhausts depending on engine type.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's also 1.6 HDi. There's a bracket (which has fractured off) built in to the front side of the back box and a separate one on a strap (which has rusted in half) round the box. Didn't see anything further up the pipe. But I'm getting a competent garage to have a look at it next week so hopefully we'll see what's what. I was encouraged to see that people seem to do aftermarket mounting lugs so there should be an easy answer, though that also suggests it's a common problem to be kept an eye on!

Thanks for the info on the seatbelt lights. Seems a silly system but if it's standard you just gotta live with it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
But I'm getting a competent garage to have a look at it next week so hopefully we'll see what's what. I was encouraged to see that people seem to do aftermarket mounting lugs so there should be an easy answer, though that also suggests it's a common problem to be kept an eye on!
It's a common problem on every car.

Exhaust parts are generally very cheaply made and quality control appears to be if it doesn't leak (much) then it goes out...

Hangers and brackets rusting/falling apart accounted for a lot of the failures when I used to be a fitter ;)

I recently replaced the front pipe on my wife's car, and the welding on the new one... I could do a neater job holding the torch with my feet :lol:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh I dunno, I had a BMW before, 06 reg and 120,000 miles when I sold it and still on the original exhaust. (and their quality is over-rated ;) )
They're not immune though, I've seen plenty that weren't any good. Mainly older ones tbf (it's been 20 years since it was my job).

That said, my BMW (bike) is from 1986 with 80k+ and is still on the oem factory pipe ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts