Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this one recently. 76k no recent service history so got the filters and belts done just to be safe. Starts and runs very well, no smoke, not using oil and no back pressure in cooling system.
Had one little hiccup on our last trip to west coast , was on a lot of steep, bumpy, single track long uphill pulls and started losing power, pulled into layby and engine cut out. Checked temp was just above 90 which it normally is when on an uphill climb (on flat and downhill usually just under 90), oil ok. Gave it 10 mins rest and it started after about 10 secs of winding which is unusual as it is normally first turn starter. Seemed to run ok until next big climb and it started to lose power again but after cresting the summit ran ok for the next few miles to our overnight stop. Next day ran 100+ miles home taking in some big long climbs with no sign of previous problems. To me it seemed like fuel starvation, I notice a bowden cable linking the pump to the water pump, is this an overheat safety device and could it be the source of the problem even though the temp gauge was showing just over 90.
Any suggestions welcome
thanks
B

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to say the engine no: FZ 000012199 according to book.
Where is the engine no located on engine
Thanks
B

D

·
0 Posts
No the cable is for fast idle when cold. Its attached to a wax capsule and then to the pump.
These are a basic engine. Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick reply, Air oil and diesel filters all renewed 2 weeks ago when the belt kits were done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi David

Air, oil and diesel filters all renewed 2 weeks ago when the belt kits were done.
Prior to going on this trip I used one of those injector cleaner additives, do they have the effect of loosening up crude in the tank and pipes as well as cleaning the injectors, just a thought.

thanks for your input

Billy

D

·
0 Posts
Hi David

Air, oil and diesel filters all renewed 2 weeks ago when the belt kits were done.
Prior to going on this trip I used one of those injector cleaner additives, do they have the effect of loosening up crude in the tank and pipes as well as cleaning the injectors, just a thought.

thanks for your input

Billy
Yes indeed it could have. Its a diesel problem I reckon. The entire fuel system may need to be checked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David
Apols, forgot to give feedback on this one, you were spot on, the cylinderical plastic filter in the tank on the end of the pick up pipe was totally covered in a thick layer of gungy grey crud, amazing that any fuel was getting through at all.
Easy fix for anyone that has similiar problem, remove sender unit from top of tank and the filter is on the end of pick up pipe.
Although 2.5D is never going to be startling performer it now has more oomph on hills and goes up the to higher revs freer.
Thanks for help.
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts