Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 92 1.4 xsi will not start after lying for 8 years, it drove to where its parked.
Engine is cranking, I have fuel but no spark, I replaced brown relay under Ecu (bosch Motronic) everything else works, but the battery light is lit dimly when key is in off position. I have cleaned earth's on chassis under battery and on gearbox, any ideas where to go next
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
8 years?! That engine's gonna want pretty much a complete strip down and clean...

I'm thinking that must be a K6B or KFZ engine (TU3FJ2 - 1360cc, multipoint injection, Motronic MP3.1).

You're certainly going to want to strip down all your air path and clean the throttle body, MAP sensor, etc. Check your coils. Replace your spark plugs. Heck - after 8 years who knows what the ECU is even thinking.

The fuel system is going to want flushing to get the 8 year old fuel (that is by now little more use than water) out of the system. And you'll want to do an oil change. Maybe new injectors too.

You'll probably be wanting to check your cylinder compression as well, to make sure none of your piston rings have decided to corrode away and dissolve into nothing.

Resurrecting a car that hasn't gone anywhere for 8 years is no small task. Very much like someone who has spent 8 years in a coma - they can't just wake up and get out of bed, they need to be brought round gently, and then there's months of physiotherapy before they can even stand, let alone walk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you say "I have fuel but no spark" do you mean that the spark plugs aren't generating a spark, or that the engine just isn't firing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, fuel pump is being powered up, but there is no spark at the plug, Ecu is being sent away for testing now.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nothing happens to an ECU standing still, unless of course it got wet? First off you have got to sort that battery light problem. a dim light points to a faulty alternator, and that may spike things.. If that engine was working fine up to the day it was parked, 8 years ago, I`m thinking immobilizer? Are you using the same 8 year old key.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
1992 immobiliser will likely be linked to the alarm system / remote key - its usually just a relay inside the alarm box that immobilises the vehicle - there's nothing exotic or high tech about early 1990s Peugeot anti theft systems.

This is pre transponder & even pre keypad.

The " immobiliser " on this era of Peugeot can be bypassed by shorting 2 wires together at the security box.

This era of Peugeots suffered from the crappy plug in earths & also the crappy large round loom connectors in the engine bay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nothing happens to an ECU standing still, unless of course it got wet?
Actually, it can. Ion migration causes tin whiskers which cause short circuits. Temperature extremes cause expansion/contraction of different materials by different amounts causing cracks in solder joints. EEPROM memory retention (certainly in earlier EEPROM technologies) can be around 10 years (the ECU updates its EEPROM every time the engine is turned off. If it's sat there for 8 years it may have "forgotten" its settings).

·
8,438 Posts
I think peugeot black rot on the wiring is more likely. I would be checking for that and ign feeds as there were issues with the 106 and saxo ign switches

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
1992 immobiliser will likely be linked to the alarm system / remote key - its usually just a relay inside the alarm box that immobilises the vehicle - there's nothing exotic or high tech about early 1990s Peugeot anti theft systems.

This is pre transponder & even pre keypad.

The " immobiliser " on this era of Peugeot can be bypassed by shorting 2 wires together at the security box.

This era of Peugeots suffered from the crappy plug in earths & also the crappy large round loom connectors in the engine bay.
Your correct Mr Lee, its a long time since I worked on those old 106`s. Those "immobilisers" were a bit hit and miss. You have also reminded me of the large egg shaped multi plugs. I would definitely suggest that the OP pulls them apart, could correct the dim battery light fault? . I have memories of those multi plugs getting hot, burning and causing all sorts of faults.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Those round multi plugs where a classic piece of crap design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I disconnected Alternator cleaned connections and refitted, battery light now extinguished, round plug behind p/s headlight removed inspected and all pins clean and corrosion free (car in dry shed). Found second key tried it no spark. Not sure if there is an immobiliser on this car as there was an aftermarket one fitted (I removed this)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I disconnected Alternator cleaned connections and refitted, battery light now extinguished, round plug behind p/s headlight removed inspected and all pins clean and corrosion free (car in dry shed). Found second key tried it no spark. Not sure if there is an immobiliser on this car as there was an aftermarket one fitted (I removed this)
Your getting there, corrected one fault by just cleaning connections, so I would carry on cleaning every multi plug you can find.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Is the remote keyfob working as this is required to disarm the factory fitted " immobiliser "

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the Ecu back, no faults. Sent alternator away for reconditioning, refitted, Started straight away, they were always a great little car, 😊

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I’ve said this a number of times on this forum.
The 06 range, 106 306 and 406 were the last of the real Peugeot’s.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
I’ve said this a number of times on this forum.
The 06 range, 106 306 and 406 were the last of the real Peugeot’s.
I agree with the 106 & 306 having driven a few in the past but the 406 was rubbish to drive.

2nd worse Peugeot I've ever driven, only the 207 was worse.

I got rid of my 406 in under a year & went back to a last year of production 405 Executive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with the 106 & 306 having driven a few in the past but the 406 was rubbish to drive.

I got rid of my 406 in under a year & went back to a last year of production 405 Executive.
I've owned all sorts of cars over the years. Rover, Ford, Citroën, heck, even an old Jaguar. But I always go back to a little old pug. At the moment I have a choice of an ultra-modern, does everything for you, Golf, or my 21-year-old 106. And it's no contest. Sure the golf may be comfortable. Sure it may be faster. Sure it may be "safer", and "cleaner". But %^$*& is it boring to drive! I'm sure most accidents in modern cars happen because the driver is so bored they switch off. Give me the feeling of potholes being shoved up my backside over dullsville any day. Give me the tactile feel of the road as I steer, and pedals that actually have a purpose, instead of just press a few buttons and point the car in the vague direction you want it to go.

Within a week of me buying my 106 (which was the result of a random drunk eBay bid - the best bid I ever placed in my life) one of the neighbours came and knocked on my door asking if I wanted to sell it...

Damn I love this little car. Little pugs rock. They always have done. Sure, I've had bigger pugs - my second car was a 309 diseasal, which I drove until the engine dropped out (literally - a slow dripping fuel leak ate through the rubber of the mounts), and I had a 407 for some years (I still see it occasionally being driven around by the new owner), but nothing compares to the old 205 I had. That thing, if you put Michelin tires on it, could corner like nothing else on the planet. The 106 is close (apart from my dicky CV joint) and even more fun to drive than the old XJ6 Mk III that I had which left everyone else for dust.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

You surprise me Mr Lee, must have been something wrong with the 406 you had? My daily driver is a Mercedes C270, my wife has a 1999 406GLX Auto. The 406 is just as comfortable, smooth and quiet to drive. The paintwork has lasted better than the Merc`, its never gone wrong, the only down side is as its a 2ltr 16V Auto fuel consumption is high.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts