Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The outside of the tyre has worn down to canvas in a matter of weeks. Inflated correctly and no significant wear on offside tyre. No accidents or kerbing either. Any suggestions much appreciated here at HS9 5UW (The Isle of Barra, 5 hours from Scottish mainland)

·
Registered
179 Posts
How long did the previous tyre last? Quite a lot longer i imagine so what's happened since that one came off. For such an atrocious wear rate either the tyre was faulty or the wheel wasn't seated correctly on the hub causing it to affect the camber setting. What have the tyre fitters said?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All four tyres were nearly new when I bought the 807 in August 2012. All tyres have worn normally since then but the nearside front has gone from MOT pass two months ago to canvass showing today. I've had no leaks, punctures, accidents or tyre changes in that time. I noticed it was very worn suddenly 3 weeks ago when I came back here (hs9 5uw) from the mainland. Since then I've done 141 miles and it's worn to the canvass. Steering and cornering seem fine...but there again I rarely get above 30!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Has the position of steering wheel changed in the straight ahead postion? If it is not square or has changed get the tracking checked as a first step. Our 807 came with similar wear on the same tyre and tracking adjustment cured it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It dawned on me yesterday that I had the suspension arms replaced at the MOT in mid July -could something have gone wrong then? I cant even put the spare on as I cant get locking nut off :(

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
OK here is what has happened, when I replaced one of the front suspension arms on our 807 the straight ahead position of the steering wheel changed slightly. This is beacuse the geometry of the Quinton Hazell pattern part is not quite the same as the original Peugeot part, but because your garage replaced both arms the position of the steering wheel going straight ahead did not change but the tracking is out as the front wheels are no longer in correct alignment.
You need to get the tracking checked, the garage will show you how far it is out and adjust it to get it back to Peugeot's spec and hopefully they will pay for a new tyre, well they would in Wales anyway, all right not without a fight....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry mised saying the argument that the garage should pay for the tyre is because most garages would check the tracking after replacing a suspension component but I guess in this case the garage did not bother because the steering wheel was still square in the straight ahead position.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that very detailed explanation. I've tried getting in touch with the garage who did the work but they are just blanking me. As far as the tracking goes can it effect just one of the tyres. The offside front tyre shows no signs of abnormal wear - unfortunately there is nobody on the island who has the equipment to check the tracking or can it be done without? As it happens I cant even put the steel spare on because I cant slacken the locking nut (I've got another thread running on that one) So I may have to put car on ferry to get it sorted.:nono:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You will find the drivers side is affected as well but I think because of the camber it is the nearside tyre that wears the most.
You can adjust the tracking yourself with a skid plate like Gunsons Trakrite but it is a bit dear for just one use about £75.00 or so. The track rod nuts often need heat to loosen as well......

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again WYNB...I've just heard back from the garage and they said the tracking was reset after the work was done (but I suppose they would say that wouldn't they?) I've asked them what brand the parts were so that I can take it up with the manufacturer (so as not to scare them off) We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry can't be definate but the figure for a 406 is 0***± 0.5mm, 807 will be similar, all front wheel drive cars are close to 0 as the front wheels alternate between acceleration, cruising and braking.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again WYNB and thanks for that. The local guy who is doing it for me (or trying to!) is looking for a measurement in degrees. I spoke with a service department at Peugeot main dealer yesterday and he says plus point 9 degrees. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sounds too much I think they mean +0.9mm toe out which equates to an angle of +0°10' toe out. Each degree is split into 60 minutes '.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiya The guy at Peugeot Telford zero point nine degrees toe in and, I wrote it down and read it back to him so as to be sure, which is going to be quite a lot different from what you are suggesting. I'm not sure what to do now. Somewhere out there on the intermewebamebobthingy there must be a definitive answer mustn't there?
Thanks again for your continued help. ;)

·
5,043 Posts
From Autodata

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Trem1 and thanks for that. Can you confirm (so that I can pass the information on) that the Toe in should be:-
between 0.9 and 2.7mm
or
between 0degrees8minutes and 0degrees24minutes
or
between 13/100 and 40/100 of 1 degree

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Talk about confusing Haynes quote a + figure for a Scenic as toe out but the Autodata info says its toe in. Wikipedia says Autodata is correct.
Checked the Peugeot CD's I bought years ago and similar figures to Autodata are quoted:
+1mm ±0.5mm or +0°9' ± 5' (+0°9' = +9/60 = +0.15°) all TOE IN
Skid plate much easier, just keep adjusting until the pointer stays still!
Best

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again I'm much obliged to you and Karl for your help. just had a call to say car is ready all I need now is a stud to replace the one that was damaged beyond repair. I think I'll get 4 and replace all the locking nuts...any thoughts of a source for them?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts