Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I new to the forum but really need some good advice on which way to go with my 807. the car broke its cam belt on the M5 last year which caused some considerable damage. After asking a few well know mechanics for advice it seemed very apprent that a replacement engine would be required. i did find a old school mechanic that was willing to strip the head etc and repair for minimal cost. within the last week the mechnic has told me he has stripped the head and replaced the damaged valves and the engine is back together but only running on 3 cylinders no compression.he has more or less told me that he doesn`t want to spend any more time on the car. i now have a half repaired engine. does anyone know how much it would cost to repair the bottom end or would it easyier to replace the whole lump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My cam belt snapped a few months ago, I found a very helpful guy in Barnsley who was happy to repair my engine in situ, unfortunatley I'd already sent mine in to a local garage for repair (Big Mistake!!)

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
If he has repaired it properly and no cam lifters are holding a valve open then the only reason for no compression would be a holed piston this should have been aparent while the head was off

We have had belt failures a few times and rarely does the head need to come off !!

Could be valve seats are damaged causing no compression but its unlikely without piston damage were any valves actually damaged and did you actually see the damage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i haven`t seen the damage to engine, the guy that tried fixing it is very well regarded in my area so i have no real reason to doubt anything he says. he also hasn`t charged me for the work hes done, to be honist hes just lost heart in the car. Currently has just under 100k on the clock with some service history but definatly not detailed.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
Im not saying anything about his ability but it is easy to miss things sometimes

I built an engine up a while back using various parts we had lying around just so we had a spare and it started first pop ran ok with a bit of a miss and uneven idle checked compression was low on 1 cylinder removed head looking at it looked fine no damage visible sent it for pressure test and was leaking round the valve seat ! fixxed that and all was good

As for your question of rebuilding the bottom end this realy depends what is required could be done cheaply with used parts depending on what is found IE 1 replacement piston possibly or a full strip and rebuild could run to £800 but from your description i recon the problem could still be at the top

Ask what was actually wrong in the head

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a chat this morning with the mechanic it seems he was telling me what I wanted to hear. It seems all he's done is remove 3 of the injectors and couldn't get the last one out, and give up!!! Back to square one now not sure which way to go aaaaah.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
Thats actually good news as we now know that he never actually done any repairwork lol all he has done is fit a belt and try it
You need the 4 injectors out cam cover off replace the broken rockers and your good to go

Do not take the head off it is unnecessary unless it is rough after replacing the rockers

If we had knew this from the start you could have been sorted yonks ago !!

·
6,073 Posts
May sound mad but genuine full fat coke is very good for dissolving the rust/carbon around stuck injectors.

I have also been told but have not tried that Wonder Wheels also works and that its the Phosphoric Acid in them which dissolves the rust etc.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
I have used coke oven cleaner diesel wd40 and all sorts of things over the last few years but i find that running the engine with injector clamps loose works best heat/pressure helping them out its the last 20mm of the injector that gets stuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts