Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The emissions light has come on. My mate has the diagnostics equipment and suggests that the EGR system needs cleaning.
It has been blanked off in the past. The car is a 2006 model 2.2 16v HDI and has a pneumatic valve to the left of the engine looking from the front.
How much of the system needs cleaning? Is it even possible given the access available? Is a proprietary treatment worth the trouble?

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
If your EGR is blanked then it wont need cleaned its a very simple egr on your engine and is vacuum controlled its really only the later electronic type that give trouble.

Emmission light is more likely to do with the DPF or low boost levels.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will investigate the dpf but is there any point in taking out the blank and cleaning/egr replacement? I must say that I was running the car prior to the injector problem and it was blanked then with no problems.
On another question, there are two rubber signal pipes from the back of the engine that may be crossed over. Is there a way I can tell the correct fitting?

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
The vacuum pipes are a spaghetti mess you need a plumber :)

The solenoids all have a common feed from the brake vacuum pump this goes to the centre connection the top connection is the outlet to whatever it feeds you will have 1 going to turbo 1 to EGR egr can be plugged turbo must be correct then you may have a couple going to dosser valves and 1 to swirl flaps its really messy

·
5,995 Posts
Do you mean the DPF differential pressure hoses if so one should have a white ring on it which connects to the sensor connector with a white spot on it.

As reliable says if EGR was blanked with no EML then it would not make any difference. A cheap OBDII reader should give a clue as to the fault but a planet read would be better as without codes you could be chasing your tail

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The left valve has wires purple and green with the right one is brown and pink. (l&r viewed from the front)
Both valves have white dots and rings around the front connectors so I really need help to identify the valves. Sorry if I misunderstood your info.
Only the rear pipes were disconnected. I think the pipe to the EGR has the original ring which I connected to the left valve with the purple and green wire.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just started it and the engine light went out. Must have got the pipes mixed up or even absent. It is still not starting when warm though which is rather disturbing. Struggles to start from cold. I will get the guy with the diagnostics to come back.
Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
Check the cranking speed and fuel pressure while cranking

Cranking speed needs to be 250 rpm min
Fuel pressure should be at 298 as soon as engine cranks even before it fires.

·
5,995 Posts
What colour are the connect plugs on the valves

Blue should be your EGR, Grey Turbo and two black ones go to the doser valves.

Here is a screen shot of the hose it is difficult to follow but may help (dotted lines are what it connects to)

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
They are both black, but it is running ok now except for starting. Is it a good idea to tackle the egr while the access is there? Is it better to do it from underneath?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the 807 to the local dealer who ran the diagnostic. He told me to change the pressure sensor and suggested there may be a leak on the silencer (echappement) The engine light is still on and seems to be in limp mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Not sure as only play at being a mechanic but P0245 leaps out, have a look at this link:
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/806-807-234/2-2-hdi-swirl-flaps-27889/
From memory you need to hold the revs at 2000 or so and the swirl flaps should snap open, if they don't the vac capsule is split and needs renewal. Faulty capsule causes other problems as the vac drops so causing other sensors to report non existent faults. Best Wyn

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You should give yourself a medal mate. First thing I did was put a pipe on the module and sucked, and sucked with no vacuum whatsoever. Took it off and found the plastic rod was broken as well where it joins the crank. I can't wait to show that mechanic at the peugeot garage.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Glad it helps, incidenally I would not block the EGR, I took the one of our old 2003 807 and found it clean & functioning despite 200K miles. The gunk only appears at the front end of the pipe where it joins the inlet manifold. It is so hot at the back it doesn't get sooted up unlike the newer electric egr's which are located at the cool end of the pipe. Likely turbo is fine, ours was original when sold with 225K Wyn

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I will check the vacuum of the egr and see if it is opening and closing via the pipe. The previous owner had a new turbo fitted, so it may have been blocked before that.
I ordered a new butterfly valve bellows and blocked the pipe but it made no difference to the starting although I have not tried to drive it yet. The car has done 246000 Km (152000 miles)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just started it again after unblocking the egr pipe and the pollution light and warning went out but after a drive up the road it came back and limping again.
I am hoping that things will return to normal when I get the new unit and actuator.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
P0245 is usually triggered if you cruise at low revs, say 50mph in 5th in roadworks on the motorway for a little while then stays on for the next 2 or 3 engine starts and clears itself until the low cruise speed is repeated.
As Reliable says the dpf may be also be a factor, would be worth taking if off and rinsing it through, at least you'll be able to see how blocked it is/isn't. I did a post on it here some years ago but can't find it.
Undo the eolys tank as well to get an idea how much fluid is in it and top up if necessary. Best Wyn

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I took off the dpf and rinsed it out with water. There was not much stuff came out to be frank and it will sit in the sun till it is thoroughly dry. I did find one fault however in the rear differential pipe which was loose and needs a joint washer. The Peugeot mechanic said that there was a leak somewhere.
Aeolys tank is ok. I should be getting the butterfly bellows tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts