Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if you can help. I have looked at all the MPV style vehicles ( Espace/Ulysee/Galaxy/C8) but like the style of this. Is it a good load carrier and is the roof capable of taking quite heavy loads on the rack?. Also I read of lots of cambelt/EGR probs. Is this a common weakness or are there ways to avoid buying a problem car. Is it a good vehicle for doing maybe 50,000 mile s a year? And is an auto a good/sensible buy? Many thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Many thanks for any advice.
Speaking from the point of view of Espace ownership, I'll go along with the previous comment - don't do it.

Renault dci = money pit.

Get a C8/807/Ulysse and disable the DPF. Ulysse seems to have the best spec minus the electric rear doors which can supposedly give trouble.

Ford? meh.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that precise answer. Is it an issue with engines that puts you off them or something else?
No and yes. They are very fickle and need to be minded like a baby. I'd probably go for something like a 308sw or the likes. There are plenty of seats and they are very frugal in 1.6hdi 110bhp guise.
Just be very careful with maintenance. Oil and filters changes on the button of 10,000mls +/- or so and you shouldn't go too wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for advice. I think we need a bigger vehicle than the 306sw as we are migrating from Volvo 850/ early V70's ( don't like the newer shape and poor reliability compared with pre-ford involvement)

Its gotta be a big load lugger as we fill the Volvo's right up to the roof so no point going smaller. From your experience as a 'Pug' man do 807's break down more than other mpv?

C

·
0 Posts
None of the older generation people carriers are nice machines in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance. The 806/7 is bad enuff, but the Espace is dire (exposed wiring visible in the cabin!), and the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra is truly dreadful. When they're going well they're all nice, but...

And when they get old enough for the price to be tempting, that's the point at which the biggest, gnarliest problems are likely to surface.

Unless it's a low mileage minter with an impeccable history from someone you trust, and is so cheap you can afford to ditch it if something big crops up, I also wouldn't bother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts