Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a 2003 607 3.0 V6 at a car auction last week, the car looked in excellent condition but when I put the car in reverse with my foot on the foot brake, it felt as though the gearbox jolted into reverse with a fair bit of force, sending a bit of a vibration throughout the car. I tried it several times and everytime I selected reverse the same jolt happened. I then put the car into Drive and with my foot on the brake again, it didn't feel as though the car wanted to creep forward. The car seemed to drive okay into the auction hall but I was a bit worried about the clang when I put it into reverse.

Is this jolt normal when a tiptronic automatic 607 3.0 is put into reverse or does it indicate something wrong with the gearbox. Given that the car is in an auction it's impossible to test drive it before buying it.

I've never had a 607 before but a few years ago I had a Citroen C5 3.0 with the same engine and the tiptronic gearbox. I can't remember if this car made a vibration when put into reverse. Greatly appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hiya, i have the same engine and auto box. Must admit mine dosent make this 'clonking noise' Maybe the engine was revving too much making the gearbox make this 'clunking' effect ?. I would be very unsure to buy it from an auction, if it was me! maybe there is a short warranty ?
Good Luck.. Nige

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply Nige. Am I right in thinking when you select reverse on your 607, it is very smooth and there is no noticeable difference in the car.

As far as I could tell, the engine was revving normally. It is so difficult to make many checks at a car auction but the gearbox definitely seemed to jolt as though something mechanical was banging inside the gearbox when I selected reverse.

The other thing I noticed is that when in drive the car did not seem to respond at all whereas my last automatic crept forward very slightly once drive was selected (even with my foot on the brake).

It definitely seems as though there is a bit of a question mark over the gearbox on the car. In the past, I have taken a bit of a risk buying automatics at auctions but my last purchase a couple of years ago had a completely ruined autobox so I am a lot more cautious now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention in my last post, there was no warranty whatsoever, not even an hour's trial. Auctions can be pretty risky as once you've bought the car you have to accept full responsibility for it, regardless of the undeclared faults.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi

What was the outcome to this? My 5008 Allure with less than 1000k miles on the clock makes a similar clonking sound but when I took it back under warranty, they said they greased something and that should help. Happens sometimes when going from reverse to drive on my EGC tiptronic. sounds like a knocking sound.

·
Registered
59 Posts
gearbox clunk

I have just rebuilt the ZF Autobox on a Porsche Cayenne exhibiting exactly the same symptom as this. An oil and filter change in the box improved things (good starting point cos its reasonably cheap) but the clunk was still evident which led to the valve chest needing professional rebuilding. Sounds daunting but it is a very straight forward job providing you are methodical in the strip and reassembly. Might also be worth checking your oil level, raise the car on a ramp and remove the filler plug, get the gearbox warm and get an assistant to add correct grade oil as you go through the gears, pausing for 5-10 sec in each gear. When oil runs from the fil plug you have enough oil.
Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.