Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all new to this forum but hope somebody can help, if i replace the gearbox in a 407 2.0 hdi 6 speed AM6B auto box with a secondhand unit, does the new unit need to be reprogrammed etc? i understand they need bite point etc relearning? i have changed the oil on the box with correct fluid and it was pretty black so assuming there is wear in there, a recon box is a sell your kidney job so.....
any help appreciated
thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Yes it will and be downloaded with the latest software to make it work good. The engine ecu should be updated also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I was told by a transmission place that a recon gearbox would not need any programming etc and was just a change over procedure, is this correct or will this still need learning etc? And can this be done with aftermarket diag equipment or does it need Peugeot software?
Thanks again

D

·
0 Posts
It does need relearning. The oil counters will need to be reset etc. What happened your old box?
All above, dealer only.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Renaults are the same they need the old oil warning scrubbed from the memory and if you do not do the relearning the box works very poorly.

Recon new secondhand it makes no difference still needs done for best results.

The programing matches the shift patterns to the torque output of the engine for smooth changes also the torque limiting for low gears

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It drives ok in tiptronic mode, but in drive it slips under load and bangs into gear, been quoted £1395 from great British engines to recon the box, they say they reprogram etc as well ,but can buy a used box for £500 so....

D

·
0 Posts
I'll bet your original box was never serviced??
Was there ever an oil change done?

D

·
0 Posts
Nope, the oil can be changed. I've done a good few in the garage. Recommend it every 40k on any auto box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I would say to keep changing it as well but have no history of that so.. Just servicing.
And I will do with the new one! Just trying to see if I need a new box or recon and where I will be after changing it

D

·
0 Posts
Yes I would say to keep changing it as well but have no history of that so.. Just servicing.
And I will do with the new one! Just trying to see if I need a new box or recon and where I will be after changing it
As above. New box, software update, relearning at your dealer. Or up to you. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your help, just one more question, can the box be fitted and then taken to Peugeot dealer and updated etc? Will it drive etc?
Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
It should drive if its fitted correctly. Never replaced one in fairness. Those boxes are good if minded.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes it will drive i have fitted a couple they are not too bad 1 thing though get the torque converter with the replacement and fit everything as the torque converter is more important than people realise.

Just to add sealed for life is a lot of bollox renault espace auto boxes were made by zf same people who made peugeots boxes!

Peugeot boxes last much better than renault ones as renault dealers insist no topping up or oil changes were needed i had a v6 espace with a dead box at 40k miles ! bought a 406 coupe fitted its box and it was still working fine at 100k miles before i made it a manual still have the car now at 180k miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks both for your help, will see what the main dealer wants to reprogram box and go from there, thought i might be able to get a independent to do the work but looks like not!
thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

just an update, have replaced gbox with one of the same and that has cured my problem and the car seems to drive fine changes are smooth as silk! i did speak to my local dealer who made a few noises and say that they dont normally update properly and need new ecu's so will probably just carry on driving her how she is to be honest, thanks again for all your input

D

·
0 Posts
Your dealer from what he meant is we don't want to do it or we don't know how to do it. Thats a load of rubbish. Software updates cure a multitude on gearboxes and engine ecus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts