Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone I am new around here and looking for some help :)
I have a 2005 307sw XSI 2.0HDI with 6 speed gearbox 110k miles
I have a tapping noise coming from the diff. You can hear it loudly when traveling slowly off throttle. As soon as you accelerate or brake it goes off.
I have jacked it up and when you turn one wheel you can hear a noise from the diff a bit like a ball bearing falling. There is oil leaking from the drain plug so not sure how much oil is in there but apart from the clicking the box is very quiet and smooth.
Does anybody know what it might be? I was thinking of taking the box out and opening it up to have a look at the diff before I get a replacement box as hopefully it may be repairable.
Is there any torque/lash settings etc available anywhere to help rebuilding it?

Many thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I dropped the gearbox oil and no sign of swarf and had the right amount in it.
I pulled the shafts as I knew the long one needed a CV so got a new complete shaft put new oil in it but the noise is still there :mad: although its more of a scraping now than a tap.
I didn’t take it far today but only happens when its warmed up off throttle, engine speed makes no difference. Same with clutch pressed but if you steer hard it quietens down and out of gear it is even worse :(
Can anybody shed any light?
Not easy/cheap getting a replacement box in France so if I cant come up with a solution to maybe rebuild it I will get a used one December time in the UK hope it doesn't self destruct before then :nono:

D

·
0 Posts
Well I dropped the gearbox oil and no sign of swarf and had the right amount in it.
I pulled the shafts as I knew the long one needed a CV so got a new complete shaft put new oil in it but the noise is still there :mad: although its more of a scraping now than a tap.
I didn’t take it far today but only happens when its warmed up off throttle, engine speed makes no difference. Same with clutch pressed but if you steer hard it quietens down and out of gear it is even worse :(
Not easy/cheap getting a replacement box in France so if I cant come up with a solution to maybe rebuild it I will get a used one December time in the UK hope it doesn't self destruct before then :nono:
What size wheels have you on it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not something simple like a worn disc or the pads scraping, perhaps a wheel bearing? it can be hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from when sitting in the car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not something simple like a worn disc or the pads scraping, perhaps a wheel bearing? it can be hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from when sitting in the car.
No its gearbox/diff area am fairly sure.
Disks/pads in good shape and wheel bearings would make the noise when cornering not the opposite and it would be a rumble.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No its gearbox/diff area am fairly sure.
Disks/pads in good shape and wheel bearings would make the noise when cornering not the opposite and it would be a rumble.
You had a ticking noise before you changed the drive shaft now you have you have a scraping noise, I would have said CV joint in the 1st place now you have change that, I would now say different noise something wrong with reassembly probably bent protection plate behind brake disc. I can't think of anything in a diff or gearbox that would cause a scraping noise.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You had a ticking noise before you changed the drive shaft now you have you have a scraping noise, I would have said CV joint in the 1st place now you have change that, I would now say different noise something wrong with reassembly probably bent protection plate behind brake disc. I can't think of anything in a diff or gearbox that would cause a scraping noise.
Yeah that’s the reason I changed the shaft first thinking it was the inner CV(the outer was also long gone) but it’s not a back plate type of noise (am a little more experienced than that)
I did think it was the box to start with that’s why I dropped the oil but was hoping for the best when I found no swarf in it.
It’s very hard to describe a noise but am fairly sure it’s from the box/diff not something catching type scraping noise.
Will find out if/when it does destroy itself :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah that’s the reason I changed the shaft first thinking it was the inner CV(the outer was also long gone) but it’s not a back plate type of noise (am a little more experienced than that)
I did think it was the box to start with that’s why I dropped the oil but was hoping for the best when I found no swarf in it.
It’s very hard to describe a noise but am fairly sure it’s from the box/diff not something catching type scraping noise.
Will find out if/when it does destroy itself :(
Wasn't dissing your experience, I have about 30 yrs experience on cars and have been known on occasion to miss the obvious as we all have.
What about the DM flywheel or the thrust bearing they can get very noisy out of gear without the clutch peddle pressed.
I'd think if it's gearbox or diff making that sort of noise it'll have a lot of wear and won't be long before it'll lunch itself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't dissing your experience, I have about 30 yrs experience on cars and have been known on occasion to miss the obvious as we all have.
What about the DM flywheel or the thrust bearing they can get very noisy out of gear without the clutch peddle pressed.
I'd think if it's gearbox or diff making that sort of noise it'll have a lot of wear and won't be long before it'll lunch itself.
No problem I didn’t mean to sound off just saying I didn’t miss something really basic.
I changed the DMF last year after it crapped out have to check how many miles I have done on it but the noise is very different wouldn't pressing the clutch rule that out? It’s the same whatever the clutch does.
Braking accelerating and cornering hard all stop it making the noise.
If anything its worse out of gear as its not pulling.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No problem I didn’t mean to sound off just saying I didn’t miss something really basic.
I changed the DMF last year after it crapped out have to check how many miles I have done on it but the noise is very different wouldn't pressing the clutch rule that out? It’s the same whatever the clutch does.
Braking accelerating and cornering hard all stop it making the noise.
If anything its worse out of gear as its not pulling.
So that would suggest somewhere between diff to wheel bearing outside chance of an engine mount.
What happens when you jack car up and spin the wheels by hand.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that would suggest somewhere between diff to wheel bearing outside chance of an engine mount.
What happens when you jack car up and spin the wheels by hand.
I know the gearbox mount under the battery isn’t fantastic but still can’t imagine how it could make this noise. Top mount is very tight engine doesn't move much when revved.
Jacked up occasionally you hear a tap noise from the diff (definitely from the diff) as if something drop’s down but only on the long shaft but no rumble at all. Will get somebody to spin the other wheel at the same time tomorrow see if can hear anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know the gearbox mount under the battery isn’t fantastic but still can’t imagine how it could make this noise. Top mount is very tight engine doesn't move much when revved.
Jacked up occasionally you hear a tap noise from the diff (definitely from the diff) as if something drop’s down but only on the long shaft but no rumble at all. Will get somebody to spin the other wheel at the same time tomorrow see if can hear anything.
Another area you might want to look at is the intermediate bearing on the long shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts