Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning! I got in the car this morning and turned the key and it turned over incredibly slowly for a few seconds before giving up altogether. First assumption was the battery until I realised I was still listening to the radio and the lights were on!

Is this what a dead starter motor sounds like? Is there anyway of getting the car going so I can get it to a garage?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Might be bad battery after all, or could be sticky starter motor.

If starter does not even make a clicking sound when you try to start, check fuse #8 in the underbonnet fusebox.

Yellow 20A fuse. If starter sticks it will draw too much current and blow fuse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not sure I've owned the car over a year.

It was pretty cold last night, might have sent the old battery over the edge.

I just phoned a garage and he said it sounded like battery rather than starter as well. Gonna try and pinch some jump leads from somewhere.

·
5,027 Posts
If you can't bump start your car, take the battery off, following the correct procedure, charge it the put it back on. IF you try and jump start it you run the risk of spiking the Bsi which will cost you hundreds of pounds AND you will still need a new battery/starter.
Search on here there is lots of info.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just open bonnet and close the doors, might also wanna lock the car now if not in garage.

Then wait for about 10 minutes (during these do not open doors or press buttons on the key etc., just leave completely alone). Now disconnect battery terminals and remove battery from car.

Never had one single problem doing it this way on my 407 at least.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok... opened the windows, closed the doors, opened the bonnet. Waited 5 mins. Pulled the negative terminal off and alarm went off. Promptly reconnected neg terminal and ran off with my tail between my legs

What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Ok, mine don't have an alarm, but from the other post there's linked to above:

Id just like to add on all what betty said:

If vehicle if fitted with alarm and/or bonnet switch, lifting the bonnet up and leaving it that way will keep the bsi in awake state. and once you reconnect power it will wake up immediately because the switch is still open.

i had to tape my switch into depressed position so bsi wouldnt wake up when i was measuring current draw on my 407. hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I saw that, but the car isnt locked and thus the alarm isnt on. It must be wired to go off if the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, battery swapped. Problem remains, car clicks and nothing happens.

Now to make things worse the car is in economy mode and I can't do the window up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts