Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
508sw pug tug

I've been towing with a 508sw 163bhp allure for about 18months now with no adverse issues. I tow a Bailey 4berth 7M van which the 508 handles with no problem.
I previously towed this van with a 2.0L Mondeo, which I think is acknowledged as an exceptional tow car and the 508 is every bit as capable.

· Registered
40 Posts
I've been towing with a 508sw 163bhp allure for about 18months now with no adverse issues. I tow a Bailey 4berth 7M van which the 508 handles with no problem.
I previously towed this van with a 2.0L Mondeo, which I think is acknowledged as an exceptional tow car and the 508 is every bit as capable.
I specifically bought the 163bhp version with manual box (boy, am I glad not to have gone for the auto judging by reports of short lives in that box!) Done two long tows into Southern France with my Burstner 430TN caravan -1350KG weight. Absolutely rock solid and will tow in 6th on the level at motorway speeds up to 60 mph (British legal limit for caravans under tow). Got 32mpg with no bother and the huge tank helps to ensure long distances between fill ups. Very quiet under tow except when having to give some "wellie" when needed. A friend of mine has the tow bar which does a disappearing act under the rear bumper at the press of a button - very expensive. I have a Towsure detachable which cost me £600 in early 2015 with 13 pin electrics as the Burstner has that for standard.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Thats reassuring. Mine is a 2012 Active 2.0 manual with 87000 miles. Im towing a Sterling 4 berth approx 1350kg if I remember correctly. I tend to take it easy when towing. The only problem so far is the hitch is very tight to the rear bumper when caravan is hooked on. Its a witter towbar which was on the car when I bought it. Think I need to get a spacer just to give a little room.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, managed to get away for 8 weekends in total. Car towed very well returning good mpg as well. Got a spacer for the towbar so all good there. The SW is brilliant for squeezing all the gear into. Managed to lose a mudflap but thats been replaced as have the locking wheel nuts. Had trouble removing one so took them all off as a precaution. Now 94000 miles and going well!

· Registered
1,945 Posts
Locking wheel nuts.
Peugeot ones are ****. I've replaced them with normal bolts on every one I've had.
I had one shear on my 508, luckily on my drive. Still, needless to say I was most unimpressed.
First job on the RCZ was order some second hand wheel bolts from Ebay.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. Local tyre fitters couldn't get the stuck one off. Luckily the mechanic next door in the haulage company garage offered to weld a nut to it and remove it. Job well done. Got 4 new bolts for £15 in local autoparts store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.