Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. After some advice.
had parking brake warnings come up along with anti roll back etc etc. After/as parking.
came back to car and brakes were on solid and wouldn’t release.
It seemed that 1 of the callipers (driver side was fine and the wheel would spin free while jacked up) but near side was jammed on solid, so much so that couldn’t even release the cable from calliper (in the end had to cut it off 😒)
Took it I’m for a test drive after cutting off near side cable and seemed like o/s was now on solid too again couldn’t release had to cut that one off too.
so seems like it Apply’s breaks just won’t release
so what’s next ? how do I test epb and if anyone knows the part numbers for the cables
I’d appreciate it.
thanks
Lester

·
Registered
448 Posts
You could release electric parking brake with a lever located below gear stick cover.

I don't know if you can drive your car after you release your electric parking brake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. After some advice.
had parking brake warnings come up along with anti roll back etc etc. After/as parking.
came back to car and brakes were on solid and wouldn’t release.
It seemed that 1 of the callipers (driver side was fine and the wheel would spin free while jacked up) but near side was jammed on solid, so much so that couldn’t even release the cable from calliper (in the end had to cut it off 😒)
Took it I’m for a test drive after cutting off near side cable and seemed like o/s was now on solid too again couldn’t release had to cut that one off too.
so seems like it Apply’s breaks just won’t release
so what’s next ? how do I test epb and if anyone knows the part numbers for the cables
I’d appreciate it.
thanks
Lester
You could release electric parking brake with a lever located below gear stick cover.
View attachment 91656
View attachment 91657

I don't know if you can drive your car after you release your electric parking brake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know this and needed to move my car :( hence the quick and stupid method I chose.
I suspect I will need to purchase a replacement epb control/motor/module thing.(from a donor car as new they are a silly price) Not sure how to fit and if it can be easily programmed to the car using diagbox ? If anyone has any insight I’d appreciate it.

·
9,199 Posts
Units are not coded to the car and just need to be calibrated when fitted or cables/pads changed etc

·
9,199 Posts
This is what service box shows

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what service box shows
many thanks

finally managed to get it on diagbox today, went into electronic brake section and found the following fault. before I fork out for a new/old one is it likely the actual fault is with the unit itself and not something else.

U1213 Fault: absence of communication with the ESP ECU.

full report attached.

I assume the other faults are because the cables to the calipers are not attached
thanks
lester

Attachments

·
9,199 Posts
Are there any faults logged for engine or ABS/ESP as either of these can result in CAN network data errors as for safety the engine ECU does not send data to ESP etc as it cannot guarantee that the data is valid due to the fault

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t think there was anything related to that (don’t have access to it for a few days now)
I’ve got a replacement from a breakers anyway for a cheap price so will change that and see if fault remains.

·
9,199 Posts
If no other faults it must be the unit or the wiring to it as other devices on the CAN network appear OK

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope it’s just this 🤞
I did have the occasional parking brake fault flash up then disappear on lead up to this.
Speaking to a company that repair them they say the faults are becoming more common on cars of this age apparently water seeps into the unit via emergency release cable access.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi. Just had back on diagbox. P0215 main relay fault. Not sure if this is related to epb in anyway or just another fault 😩. I’ve cleared it off will see if it returns. Can “a” relay be replaced or is it a new fuse box job ?
Side note. I am also replacing battery sometimes struggles to Start the car on cold day. Not sure if it’s linked

·
9,199 Posts
The fault code could be battery related, if the car is not cranking fast enough the ECU can sometimes think the fuel regulator is sticking and on a HDI that code can be for Engine Shut off Solenoid fault not main relay which relates to petrol engines

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi after fitting, calibrating and the re enabling it it worked great for about 10 mins then fault appeared again.
(hand brake wont apply, various warning lights on the dash)
checked on diagbox and faults

U1213 Fault: absence of communication with the ESP ECU.
Properties From . Distant .
Status . Temporary
Characterisation of the fault. Incorrect value received

plus other 2 faults although could these be from before it was replaced.

U1219 Fault automatic release of the electric parking brake
Properties From . Distant .
Status . Permanent
Characterisation of the fault. Data invalid

C1552 Force sensor fault .
Properties From . Local .
Status . Temporary
Characterisation of the fault. Coherence

so I cleared everything off and enabled epb again and its working but I fear this wont last long......
any ideas on what to check ?

·
9,199 Posts
I think you will have to wait for another fault to see what codes are logged with the replacement unit to give us an idea of possible issues/faults

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
back again same 3 faults.. uploaded bellow.
I have noticed (although probably coincidence) the last 3 times its happened ive been on a slope... either coming off a motorway or going down a hill... and braking for a more prolonged period. searching the net ive seen similar problems BUT NOT ON PEUGEOTS described because of a faulty brake pedal switch they are only cheap to buy and if easy to fit is it worth getting one just to rule it out? (as far as I can tell my brake lights are working correctly but only managed to check when stationary)
any help much appreciated.
Lester

Attachments

·
9,199 Posts
Maybe a bit of a long shot have you checked the operating levers are not sticking on the rear calpers. Also that the pads are not jammed in the caliper

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m pretty sure that the callipers are ok. Levers looked ok not sticking as far as I can see . I will double check at the weekend that they are working as should and give them a clean.

After clearing faults yesterday they came back on at exactly the same spot on my way to work.
60mph slight hill down to a roundabout. Braking for 20secs or so just before coming to a stop. Parking brake fault, anti roll back... etc etc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked callipers looked all good. Greased up
Some bits that looked like they needed some.
Cleared faults.
Calibrated parking break and cable tension then enabled again via abs/traction control menu. No lights no faults epb working fine. Went for a test drive Braked about 3/4 times. Faults came back 😩 u1213 (loss of communication with esp Ecu) and c1552. I don’t know what else to check maybe I’ll have to take it to a Peugeot garage 😡

1 - 20 of 26 Posts