Peugeot Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
The hybrid always sounded dubious from a financial standpoint. A car that costs in excess of 10k over a pure diesel equivalent and under 40 miles of electric range means I just couldn’t see how it would be recouped over years of driving.
Agreed, these plug in hybrids make the manufacturers look green(er) and be able to quote mpg around 100, which draws in the customers.
The mpg is nonsense though unless you include the cost of charging. I don't think that you'll ever et your money back if bought new, second hand may well be different depending on the price difference.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Agreed, these plug in hybrids make the manufacturers look green(er) and be able to quote mpg around 100, which draws in the customers.
The mpg is nonsense though unless you include the cost of charging. I don't think that you'll ever et your money back if bought new, second hand may well be different depending on the price difference.
After an overnight charge on a granny charger cable from a standard 13amp socket my battery indicates 100% charge but only 22miles thus equating to less than 1 gal of fuel, but at a charging cost of only £1.50 at my current standard electricity tariff. It is difficult to estimate the exact mpg at present though as the engine cuts in and out as it sees fit and I will do more than 22miles before battery zero. My last trip after filling earlier this week was 91mpg after 68 miles all local. I will try to keep track of fuel cost, both petrol and electricity, but it’s going to be tricky to work out cost of ownership. After collecting the car from my dealer they informed me that they are awaiting parts and software update following a recall on the battery management kit. This sounds to be the same as recently mentioned in the 3008 hybrid 4 posts so the 508 probably has the same kit. I’ll have to wait and see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
After an overnight charge on a granny charger cable from a standard 13amp socket my battery indicates 100% charge but only 22miles thus equating to less than 1 gal of fuel, but at a charging cost of only £1.50 at my current standard electricity tariff. It is difficult to estimate the exact mpg at present though as the engine cuts in and out as it sees fit and I will do more than 22miles before battery zero. My last trip after filling earlier this week was 91mpg after 68 miles all local. I will try to keep track of fuel cost, both petrol and electricity, but it’s going to be tricky to work out cost of ownership. After collecting the car from my dealer they informed me that they are awaiting parts and software update following a recall on the battery management kit. This sounds to be the same as recently mentioned in the 3008 hybrid 4 posts so the 508 probably has the same kit. I’ll have to wait and see what difference it makes.
So roughly speaking the electric running is half the cost of petrol only running, assuming 44 mpg £3.00 v £6.30.
Is that on a night rate (Economy 7)?
Keeping it simple, if a driver used a full charge every day of the year, they'd save £1204 a year, maybe more with a bit of regen. So buying new would take at least 8 years to break even, more likely over 10 because it's unlikely to be used every day of the year.

How long does it take to charge with the granny charger and which one did you buy in the end?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
So roughly speaking the electric running is half the cost of petrol only running, assuming 44 mpg £3.00 v £6.30.
Is that on a night rate (Economy 7)?
Keeping it simple, if a driver used a full charge every day of the year, they'd save £1204 a year, maybe more with a bit of regen. So buying new would take at least 8 years to break even, more likely over 10 because it's unlikely to be used every day of the year.

How long does it take to charge with the granny charger and which one did you buy in the end?
I bought the charger cable from evchargingcablestore.com an 8 metre one for £270 whilst I research the types of home charging points available or even if I need to buy one or not. Usually my battery is at zero every night and I use deferred charging to start one minute past midnight. It takes between 4 and 5 hours to charge to 100% and it indicates anywhere between 21 and 30 miles capacity next morning. The nearly constant cost each night is £1.52 from zero to full battery on my standard fixed Scottish Power tariff of 15.12p per kWh. I have looked at their EV overnight tariff which would be less but that sends the daytime tariff to more than 30p per kWh. I don’t intend changing tariff just yet until we have clarity of electricity costs later in the year so I will have to review charging costs and mpg economy when the work on battery management is done too. It’s gonna get complicated.

Reactions: Idler

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had my 508 Hybrid for just over 2 weeks now and the range has consistently shown as 18 miles on a full charge. In reality, it seems to be even less than this. I am driving with AC turned on as well. When I picked it up from the dealership it was showing 28 miles, which I would’ve been much happier with. My tyre pressures were a touch low so I’ve sorted that now and will see if it improves. With the battery showing as 0 miles I seem to get ~40mpg with motorway cruising. Throwing in town driving drops it to around ~35mpg.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I’ve had my 508 Hybrid for just over 2 weeks now and the range has consistently shown as 18 miles on a full charge. In reality, it seems to be even less than this. I am driving with AC turned on as well. When I picked it up from the dealership it was showing 28 miles, which I would’ve been much happier with. My tyre pressures were a touch low so I’ve sorted that now and will see if it improves. With the battery showing as 0 miles I seem to get ~40mpg with motorway cruising. Throwing in town driving drops it to around ~35mpg.
Mine was registered in Jan 2020. When was yours? My dealer checked and the car is due a recall to replace parts in the battery management area. Not sure which parts yet but I think charging module, rear 12 volt battery and a software update. They are currently awaiting parts. I hope that will fix things. Have you asked your dealer to see if yours is also due one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was registered in Jan 2020. When was yours? My dealer checked and the car is due a recall to replace parts in the battery management area. Not sure which parts yet but I think charging module, rear 12 volt battery and a software update. They are currently awaiting parts. I hope that will fix things. Have you asked your dealer to see if yours is also due one?
Wow that’s very interesting. Mine was registered February 2020. How did you find out about the recall?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Wow that’s very interesting. Mine was registered February 2020. How did you find out about the recall?
When I took it for a test drive I asked the service dept to check for outstanding recalls (did this because when I bought my previous one there were 8 outstanding). So said I would buy it if they ordered the parts that day. That was around 3rd October and they are still waiting. It’s worth a shot to get your dealer to check. As far as I can make out the 508 uses same system as the 3008 Hybrid 4 and if you look in the forum for that you will see similar posts about 100% battery and low 20’s miles.

·
Registered
Peugeot 508 SW 225 Hybrid eAT8 GTLine
6 Posts
When I took it for a test drive I asked the service dept to check for outstanding recalls (did this because when I bought my previous one there were 8 outstanding). So said I would buy it if they ordered the parts that day. That was around 3rd October and they are still waiting. It’s worth a shot to get your dealer to check. As far as I can make out the 508 uses same system as the 3008 Hybrid 4 and if you look in the forum for that you will see similar posts about 100% battery and low 20’s miles.
Hi, this info about the recall is very usefull! I have the same issue with my 508 Hybrid. On 100% charge I see 15/16 miles (even without AC) and when I retired it from the dealer was 30 Miles.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi, this info about the recall is very usefull! I have the same issue with my 508 Hybrid. On 100% charge I see 15/16 miles (even without AC) and when I retired it from the dealer was 30 Miles.
Looking at various part labels under the bonnet suggests mine came out of the plant towards the last half of October 2019. That might provide us with a manufacturing date for the battery management parts also.

·
Registered
Peugeot 508 SW 225 Hybrid eAT8 GTLine
6 Posts
Looking at various part labels under the bonnet suggests mine came out of the plant towards the last half of October 2019. That might provide us with a manufacturing date for the battery management parts also.
Confirm the same date for mine. Wheels, bonnet and luggage batteries are all from 8-10/2019

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a further point to add, I've been keeping an eye on the statistics page within the 'Hybrid' menu in the infotainment system. My electric only efficiency is around 1.5-2.2 miles per KWh depending on driving style (in town), which perfectly explains my 18 miles of displayed range. My 3 pin charging cable records that the car accepts ~9.4KWh for a full charge.

This changes the focus from the battery being the issue. Actually, the car is seemingly just poor at converting the stored energy into mileage. These numbers seem incredibly low compared to other EVs, which can get anywhere from 3-6 miles per KWh on average. It would be interesting to see what numbers other owners are getting.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Just a further point to add, I've been keeping an eye on the statistics page within the 'Hybrid' menu in the infotainment system. My electric only efficiency is around 1.5-2.2 miles per KWh depending on driving style (in town), which perfectly explains my 18 miles of displayed range. My 3 pin charging cable records that the car accepts ~9.4KWh for a full charge.

This changes the focus from the battery being the issue. Actually, the car is seemingly just poor at converting the stored energy into mileage. These numbers seem incredibly low compared to other EVs, which can get anywhere from 3-6 miles per KWh on average. It would be interesting to see what numbers other owners are getting.
I can make absolutely no sense of the stats screen but I agree with the charge information you are reporting. My last full charge on my ‘granny’ charger cable last night was 9.5 kWh costing £1.52 and giving 18 miles of charge with a 100% charge.
The car is booked into the dealer next Tuesday now they have the parts consisting of ( I think) charging module, new boot 12v battery and software update.
This is the last stats display I took a picture of:
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic device Personal luxury car

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can make absolutely no sense of the stats screen but I agree with the charge information you are reporting. My last full charge on my ‘granny’ charger cable last night was 9.5 kWh costing £1.52 and giving 18 miles of charge with a 100% charge.
The car is booked into the dealer next Tuesday now they have the parts consisting of ( I think) charging module, new boot 12v battery and software update.
This is the last stats display I took a picture of:
View attachment 96267
Please let me know how it goes with your dealer! Mine seems to be ignoring me at the moment but I’ll push further if there’s a fix.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Please let me know how it goes with your dealer! Mine seems to be ignoring me at the moment but I’ll push further if there’s a fix.
Jury is still out on this one I’m afraid. Car went in on Tuesday for what they called the 3008/508 KAR recall. They said it consisted of a replacement charger module, rear 12v battery and software upgrade. Afterwards they said all was completed. I expected to see more than 17 - 20 miles range after an overnight charge. For the last two nights it has been 22 and 21 miles. I called the dealer today and asked if I should see an increase in this and whether the upgrade was successful, they said it was but I might not see a difference immediately. So I will wait and see. Only thing I can say is that I use a slow ‘granny’ charger at home which has gradually gone down in range over the last few weeks from around 22 to 17 miles and it is now back up to 21/22. I was away in a hotel last weekend and used a faster charger and that charged from 0 miles to 31 miles in 90 minutes. Not sure if differences are down to chargers or motorway journeys at the moment. Time will tell I guess but also the weather is getting colder. I do know that when driving and the charge miles go to zero the car still pops in and out of driving on battery power for several miles before the engine kicks in again so don’t know if software change will alter that. I’ll have to monitor and report back, but you could check with your dealer if the above recall applies to your VIN. Good luck.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts