Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. As I am using the 508 SW (2012 140 hdi, 83K miles), I am coming across some things I would be grateful for answers to.

First question: Does this model use a diesel additive? I've seen reference to a filling point inside one of the rear door shuts near the wheelarch, but mine doesn't have anything but painted metal there...

Second question: Do you need some sort of fitting kit to replace the load cover with the luggage restraint/dog guard? I bought one off FleaBay (part no. 98004844), but it is not a straight replacement into the mountings for the load cover; it is obviously designed to hook on to some sort of metal loop or bar, where the load cover mount is just fairly flimsy plastic.

Third question: How do I reset the headlamp beams for driving on the Continent?

And finally, a general question. I gather that the DPF will eventually clog up anyway, and I know diesels tend to coke up the DPF on short runs, but most of my use is motorway mileage at over 2000 rpm in sixth, and rarely less than ten to fifteen miles. Is that enough to keep it as clean as I'm going to?

Any and all advice and information gratefully received...

TN

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi and welcome to the 508 forum. My 508 is a 2016 and I can't answer questions 1 and 2. However I would have thought your driving style would be sufficient to keep the DPF clean and finally, my headlamps do not require any adjustment for continental driving. I would suggest you check your manual for that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
To answer your first question...Yes, it wil have an additive tank. It is accessed from under the car. You need to remove the protective guard that is just in front of the left rear wheel. There should be a small black coloured tank. My tank took 3.5 litres of PAT fluid. You will need a special filling kit to do the job.(I bought both the fluid and the kit of e-bay). There are a couple of access points to the tank. I used one that was nearest the rear left wheel. I tried the one that was nearer the centre of the floor but could not get that to fill (suspect it is a one way valve).

My car gave me a warning that the fluid tank was low....approx 85,000 miles at the time. I believe fluid use is determined by how often you put diesel into the main tank. The car detects that the fuel flap has been opened, and squirts a pre-determined amount of fluid into the main tank. So if you brim it with diesel each time, I believe you will use less fluid. However, less fluid also means harder to keep the DPF unblocked.

Warning - there is more than one type of fluid - need to make sure you get the right one for your car.

Finally, it is not a certainty that the DPF will eventually clog up. My last car had 230,000 miles on the clock and the DPF never even blinked.

Oh, and if you have just joined the forum, welcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. I'll stop worrying about the DPF clogging up, I think.

I guess nobody who has read this thread knows about the dog guard; I'll go round to the local dealer in the morning and see if anybody there knows. Same for the headlamp adjustment; the (technically pretty useless...) owner's manual doesn't mention it at all.

More questions...

The owner's manual is pretty useless for anything even vaguely oily, isn't it? What spec. engine oil do I need, and how much of it?

How do I tell which diesel additive fluid I need?

Where can I get a full build sheet/datacard/assembly specification/whatever Peugeot call it list for the car? It probably has features I don't know about...

Is there any way I can have the speed displayed in kph in the info panel in front of the driver?

TN

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Post up your full VIN and someone will give you all the info about your car

DPF contrary to popular belief will NEVER clog up if car is driven properly your description sounds fine but give it some revs occasionally your car may use adblue

You use the radio menu to change between miles and kilometres its under units i think

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Reliable406 (My son's 406 wasn't...). I'll look in the audio menu and see if it's there. I found what looked like the solution in the instrument panel screen settings yesterday, in 'units', but it did not offer the option of displaying the speed in kph.

RWB, that is very informative; thank you. So it's not soot that clogs up the DPF, it's a buildup of (catalytic?) additive residue? First I've ever heard of that.

I presume that cars used only for short journeys DO clog up with soot, though, because I gather they require the regeneration cycle much more often, but the amount of additive used depends solely on the amount of fuel used.

How do I tell how much additive residue is in there already?

I have keyless entry/go. There is a movable catch just below the two-piece metal bar across the top of the key where the keyring attaches, and I presume it is to release a metal key blade, but when I move the catch nothing springs out. Should anything come out? (I'm reluctant to try a screwdriver in case I break something...)

·
Registered
405 Posts

Reactions: TangoNevada

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for that, but I won't necessarily be using Total oil, and I can't get the Total hub to work anyway.

What spec. engine oil do I need, and how much of it?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I wasn't suggesting you use Total, just use the site to verify the viscosity - 5W30.

The amount IS in the Handbook - Page 227 - 5.25 l.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Actually the headlamp question is one I have myself.

I've noticed that the headlamps come in a variety of flavours.

The active led ones I presume are these:

http://cdn1.autoexpress.co.uk/sites...ry_adv/public/508-headlight.jpg?itok=0ZZ1ye33

The ones I have looks like this:

https://3d-car-shows.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Peugeot-508-design1.jpg

I take it these are the non bending halogens...

The handbook also doesn't say anything about driving in Europe.. I've used the eurolites in the past but they were easy to fit on the car as it was easy to work out the centre of the spot on the headlamp.. The 508 looks a lot more confusing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn't suggesting you use Total, just use the site to verify the viscosity - 5W30.

The amount IS in the Handbook - Page 227 - 5.25 l.
Thank 'ee, Sir; found it. I still find it surprising that the handbook doesn't mention what specification oil is required, though.

The site (working for me now) recommends a semi-synthetic oil, but I'd favour a fully-synthetic, and with a petrol engine that had done 85K miles I would tend towards a 5w40 rather than a 5w30. I think I'll see how much oil the diesel is using first, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vinba, the headlights I have are the same as in your second link. The vertical outboard beam shapers are for the dipped beams, so unless the dipped beams themselves are flat-topped, without a kick up along the nearside verge, either masking or adjustment would be required for use in a country that drove on the other side of the road.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I agree about fully-synthetic - never use anything else myself.

Point the car at a white wall at night - at about 5m. You should be able to see if the dipped beams are flat.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thank 'ee, Sir; found it. I still find it surprising that the handbook doesn't mention what specification oil is required, though.

The site (working for me now) recommends a semi-synthetic oil, but I'd favour a fully-synthetic, and with a petrol engine that had done 85K miles I would tend towards a 5w40 rather than a 5w30. I think I'll see how much oil the diesel is using first, though.
There is no need to use a more dense oil. Regularly serviced engine @85K miles is probably still within factory tolerance (pistons, motor block, valves, etc)
I have read many car engine autopsy after 100K km in local paper, made on test cars, that had 0 sign of wear and tear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts