Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i took my car to the local dealership to replace the driver side xenon bulb.

They replaced the bulb for 100Eur, but the car still did not get approved road safe because of a bad beam pattern.
So, i took the car back to the dealership where they can not get it fixed (mmmmhhmm...), the best they could do is get me a brand new headlight (Expensive).

The headlight works perfectly aside from having a distorted pattern.

To my knowledge it could be the reflector or the lens, or something else. Both of my headlights have condensate inside of them, the passenger one has a good beam pattern but the left ones pattern is bad. Both are working but i cant get the car approved to be road - legal.

Does anybody know what could be the cause of this?
Asking here because most repair shops in my country are ripping people off and i dont trust them.
Any help will be much appreciated as i have spent way too many hours trying to find the solution myself online.

Cheers!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, if you see condensate inside, that's bad. I had the same issue not noticing somebody hit the car so tricky, that the left headlamp had tiny crack i did not noticed.

Light got condensate at first, then it got dimmed when the moist damaged the reflector behind the lens.

At the end, water filled whole ballast as that is installed at the bottom to be exposed and cooled by free air.

Take a picture of the pattern

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@proforko - thanks for the condensate info, didn't know that. As for the beam pattern - i have already fixed this months ago, but for others I might have some valuable info since I believe I had every problem I could possibly have:

Restoring chrome coating on the reflector - 140 EUR;
Polishing and removing scratches and condensate - 20 EUR

- High beams on BiXenon and adaptive feature not working - the technician who restored the headlight had not plugged in both cables in their sockets after putting everything back together (had to find this out the hard way after taking the headlight apart myself at home)

- Incorrect beam pattern after changing the xenon bulb, restoring the reflector and headlight itself: - After plugging both cables in their sockets inside the headlight, I did NOT install the xenon bulb properly in its socket. Being paranoid of breaking something it did not come to me that the metal clamps holding the bulb in place have a very firm hold of the bulb which means it requires quite a bit of force to "push" it in between the clamps correctly. After pressing on it much harder it clicked in to the proper position and everything works perfectly now.

***Note to self - next time when you buy a car, get one with LED. Xenon bulbs emit a lot of heat which means the reflectors get damaged from moisture very fast (which can happen very easily), restoring reflectors takes a lot of time and isn't cheap.

extra free advice - DON'T EVER get a Peugeot with start/stop microhybrid. An unrepairable starter-alternator from the future which costs 900 EUR takes a month to deliver and is not fun to have break down on a car that's worth 7000 EUR.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, to sit the D1S in place is a bit rough:)))
Regarding the suggestion to never buy Xenon again and get full leds - on my RXH one half of leds got dimmed after the warranty expired. So right side of street was dark even through you saw the lens shining.
So the reflector right behind the lens on which the LED cluster was shining got burned.

1500€ was the new light.

I will post pictures of the dimmed light.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Okay, here are led patterns of 508 Full Led headlight.
All pictures were taken with the same shutter speed and same camera settings.

Left headlight / left lens
Left_left.jpg

Left headlight / right lens (inner)
Left_right.jpg

Left headlight / left lens / reflector
Left_lens_reflector.jpg

Right headlight / left lens (inner)
Right_left.jpg

Right headlinght / right lens
Right_right.jpg

Right headlight / right lens / reflector (burned)
Right_lens_reflextor.jpg

So that shows that led headlight is not always top :D
Even though led is considered as cold light source, it produce lots of heat, especially when three or four power chips are nested on one module, as it is in this case.

Here is interesting photo of what the headlight look like from inside.

20190222_162326.jpg 20190222_162523.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That LED headlight looks like a computer from how the wiring is made.

Back to halogen we should go perhaps. LED looks the nicest of course but even really good halogen bulbs, the most expensive ones i've seen that also look like Xenons from the color, cost 20 EUR a piece and are way easier to replace.

Got a 2014 Peugeot 208 1.6hdi for my mother, she has halogen bulbs and man, they are bright. I would even say brighter than my Xenon lights at a 1/4 of the price per bulb, + the high beams are absolutely insane on her car, ++ they are super easy to replace.

This is a good topic for discussion, anyways - are LEDs and Xenons so much better to call them worth the money and the hassle when replacements are necessary? I thought they were, but i've come to think otherwise now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts