Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I have now owned my 508 Allure 1.6 auto for nine months and thought I would give some feedback on it. It was a 1 x previous owner 2013 model with 40K on the clock and I purchase it from a main Peugeot dealer. I traded in a 2009 E class Merc with 150K on the clock, reason was my company requires me to drive a vehicle less than 7 years old. Due to reasons I won't go into on here I had little spare cash so needed to look for something that was big enough to take my family of 5 but cheap enough to purchase and run.
The 1.6 auto box takes some getting used to but I am now happy with it's performance. I do a considerable amount of motorway driving and the 508 is excellent for this, the ride is quiet and though firm is very comfortable. The fuel economy has worked out at 58 mpg on a total mileage of 18,500 miles during the 9 x months of ownership so I'm happy with that. Everything electrical seems to work as it should, initially the heated seats didn't but after taking it back and having things put right under warranty all is now fine. There are very few 508 saloons around and I have been asked on a number of occasions if it was a special import. So in summary I am happy with my purchase and look forward to another 3 years of trouble free and enjoyable ownership....:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm pleased for you :thumb: My previous car was a 508 Allure 2.0 manual and i was pleased enough with it to purchase my current model. I went for the Auto and, as you say, it's good for cruising but also good in town. I think you get a lot of bang for your bucks with the 508.

I'm surprised your company can tell you what car to get - they should provide a company car. Anyway....happy motoring ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Company car is an option but I prefer my own vehicle, reason for the 7 year maximum is all to do with their 'green' credentials...:(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Company car is an option but I prefer my own vehicle, reason for the 7 year maximum is all to do with their 'green' credentials...:(
We have something similar where if you opt for the car allowance then your car has to be less than a certain age.. They've never asked the age of the cars anyone drives though.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Apparently, if a company finances a car be it by car allowance, lease or straight company car HMRC requirements are that the car should be no more than 4 years old.

Many companies insist on the 4 year age limit and require the car is replaced whereas others simply give you the car allowance with the caveat that 'It is up to you to ensure you have a vehicle at your disposal' meaning if you have an older car (or even one less than 4 years old) and it breaks down then it's down to you to find transport to carry on working.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Apparently, if a company finances a car be it by car allowance, lease or straight company car HMRC requirements are that the car should be no more than 4 years old.

Many companies insist on the 4 year age limit and require the car is replaced whereas others simply give you the car allowance with the caveat that 'It is up to you to ensure you have a vehicle at your disposal' meaning if you have an older car (or even one less than 4 years old) and it breaks down then it's down to you to find transport to carry on working.
I suppose it depends on the type of 'car allowance'. Some like mine are paid as 'earnings' monthly and therefore taxed at 40% along with NI.. Although truth be told they've never even asked me if I have a car so I don't think they care and it's just one of those situations where if it isn't included in your total salary then when and if you get a pay rise it isn't included.

Sorry for going OT.. Glad you liuke the car OK.. I'm looking forward to a long test run on the Pug at the end of July.. What I won't be doing is driving it through a field which I did with the old one (volvo *cough scummy dealership cough*)

Is your saloon white? I've seen a few around and all the 508's saloons I've seen have been white!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.