Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've got a 508 RXH Hybrid4 that I bought second-hand a few months ago. I've now done a few thousand miles in it, and I like the car but its performance in electric (ZEV) mode is rather indifferent.

A friend of mine has a Nissan Leaf, and that's very fast to accelerate from stationary. Appreciate that the RXH is somewhat heavier and isn't exactly optimised for electric drive, but it doesn't so much accelerate as go a bit faster at best.

It can just about keep up with cars pulling away from traffic lights on the flat, but I had to go up a slight hill from lights the other day and had an old lady in a Micra tailgating me the whole time.

I can do a mile or so in electric mode on a fully charged battery, but when it gets to about 3 blue battery bars then the power drops off and it switches back to the diesel engine. The remaining battery bars then disappear one by one over about 10-15 seconds.

The car is a 63-plate with 58,000 miles on the clock so it's just still in the warranty period for the electric drivetrain. I could take the car to a Peugeot dealer to get the battery checked out, as if feels like the battery isn't at its best, but the nearest dealer is an hour away so it's a bit of a hassle.

Basically, is the electric performance I'm getting typical or does it sound like it's not as good as it should be?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep its doing exactly as it should do. Designed if your stuck in a line of traffic. Hence no congestion fee for London!
May also be unavailable under certain other conditions i.e full a/c in summer, full heating in winter etc.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The electric drive on these is only short range its not anything like a leaf zoe or any other real electric car.

It is really designed for low speed driving in congestion etc not for daily driving use certainly not for racing micras :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I had a feeling that its performance probably was typical but wanted to check. The handbook says the electric motor has 200Nm max torque but it's certainly never felt like that in electric mode. Don't know how I ever thought I could beat a Micra!

I've re-read the list of conditions that stop it running in electric mode, and I've certainly experienced all of them. Plus also not being available due to the battery being charged too fast by going down a long hill. :(

Having said all that, I agree that the system does perform well in heavy traffic when it's not pushed too hard. I'm certainly impressed by the way that it switches from the diesel engine to the electric motor and back again quite seamlessly.

When we get some snow again, it will be interesting to see how good the 4WD mode is in practice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It wont do what a Discovery will do but is still an honest 4WD that will get you out of trouble such as a bit of a muddy field or an icy road where a 2WD might skid and slide.
At the end of the day the RHX is compromise and bit of everything, just dont expect too much from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts