Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Billy here in usually dry northern California, US. just recently resolved starting/idling issues with my '89 505 SW8 by having the starter rebuilt and finding a used but in good condition rubber boot connecting to the mass air flow sensor. but a week of wet snowy weather in early December caused starting issues. engine will crank over vigorously but will not fire. no smell of gasoline so I do not think flooding the issue. all fuses looked good. so i left the car alone and went back a few days later when it was warmer and car started right up. A friend is suggesting fuel pump relay as possibility. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,895 Posts
Here in the uk we had issues with the wiring connections at the bulkhead where the engine loom joined the rest of the car loom it was in a stupid bag but dampness still got in causing starting issues there are 2 relays attached to the same circuit 1 is fuel pump other is a timer for the pump if i remember correctly but the pump relay wont work if its not getting the power down the line dont assume its bad right away wiring is by far the most likely reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here in the uk we had issues with the wiring connections at the bulkhead where the engine loom joined the rest of the car loom it was in a stupid bag but dampness still got in causing starting issues there are 2 relays attached to the same circuit 1 is fuel pump other is a timer for the pump if i remember correctly but the pump relay wont work if its not getting the power down the line dont assume its bad right away wiring is by far the most likely reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Reliable. I will start checking the wiring. But it is a maze of wires under the hood. Am I looking for cracked wiring or? Billy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damp in the distributer cap
Common on cold days I owned few fit new bosch caps the seal better and resistant to temp changes and reading ur discription thats fuel injected so iced carb is out of the question

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damp in the distributer cap
Common on cold days I owned few fit new bosch caps the seal better and resistant to temp changes and reading ur discription thats fuel injected so iced carb is out of the question

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feedback dongambini. the distributor on my ZDJL engine is nearly impossible to get to without removal of other equipment so have not checked that issue. will be checking wires in the dark to see if there is any glowing or sparking. then will check wire to the coil followed by cleaning contacts on relays. suggestion also to spray WD 40 or similar material on any wet wires,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts