Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for a strange post. I have a 505 Diesel engine 2.5 L turbo diesel. The strange thing is, it is in a 1984 Land Rover 110 Defender. I bought it from Belgium. I am supposing an industrious farmer put it in. Anyone have any opinions on this engine? Reliable? Good enough to overhaul and keep? (Land rovers of this vintage have a Land Rover 2.5 L turbo diesel of their own design anyhow). Obviously , there are no Motor Trend head to head comparison articles out there!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think that must be a DIY job? But some Rover car models did have the Peugeot XUD engine.
Peugeot Diesel engines are fitted to all sorts of vehicles,normally odd 4x4 types, all over the world.I've even seen them in American crop spreader machines.
As for that old 505 Diesel engine,they are just bullet proof, providing the oil and filters are changed regularly it will last for ever. Being a push rod engine there is no cam belt to worry about.

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
Its a good engine but not that powerful if it has no intercooler and oil cooler fitted it will run hot when worked hard fit those and you can safely turn up the boost a little and adjust fueling i had 120hp from my 505 they are 95 standard.

I have seen a few in land rovers over the years but never really seen why anyone would bother its not any better than the land rover engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the responses! Given the above, while it sounds like a worthy engine, if rather equivalent, i think I will look for a newer rover engine or perhaps other. I guess I will post on the site to see if any one in the US is interested in purchasing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts