Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I'm curious.

How many 3008 owners and soon to be owners out there would have chosen a 4 wheel drive version if it was available. I guess it probably would have added £2-3k to the list price but would that have mattered to many of you?

I keep looking at the new 3008 and thinking it looks so right for 4 wheel drive with its off road look.

Have Peugeot missed something I wonder? There are a lot of other manufacturers building cars in this segment like VW and their Tiguan, Honda CRV, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volvo just to mention a few.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Grumpy

· Registered
765 Posts
I would generally always go for the top or very near the top spec in a car. So I prefer cheaper brands lol. That said Kia/Hyundai/Mazda/etc all have AWD on their top spec versions so yes I'd likely have had AWD.

We do tow stuff with out cars so it would have been handy for towing caravans etc out of muddy fields.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pinkaardvark,

Even though it could have cost the extra £2-3k ?

I have been thinking about this, I would probably have paid the extra for the wife's had it been available. Living in the sticks as we do, the roads in Winter can be shocking. Bloody sugar beet lorries dropping mud and sh*t all over the place and the lazy council workers not bothering to grit B roads when they're supposed to. (Don't tell her I worry about her!)

Grumpy

· Registered
765 Posts
Hi Pinkaardvark,

Even though it could have cost the extra £2-3k ?

I have been thinking about this, I would probably have paid the extra for the wife's had it been available. Living in the sticks as we do, the roads in Winter can be shocking. Bloody sugar beet lorries dropping mud and sh*t all over the place and the lazy council workers not bothering to grit B roads when they're supposed to. (Don't tell her I worry about her!)

Grumpy
New top spec AWD Mazda CX-5 is 33k, top spec FWD pug is 33k. I don't see where the extra 2-3k comes from.

· Registered
765 Posts
AWD is also not just about rough terrain and muddy fields. It's also about stability in cornering or adverse dynamics conditions none of which Grip Control addresses. Otherwise it'd be pointless on an Audi TT which don't tend to go through many farmers fields :)

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I believe the forthcoming hybrid version is going to be AWD, but grip control does work very well indeed. So I'm glad they didn't offer full 4WD because I saved two or three grand, and only had to pay a few hundred for grip control.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yer but Mazda's have always been over priced rubbish cars anyway (just my opinion)
Do you not think that if Pug did do a 4WD drive version there'd be a premium to pay?
I don't know but I'm just guessing at an extra £2-3k

Grumpy

· Registered
765 Posts
Yer but Mazda's have always been over priced rubbish cars anyway (just my opinion)
Do you not think that if Pug did do a 4WD drive version there'd be a premium to pay?
I don't know but I'm just guessing at an extra £2-3k

Grumpy
I don't know about that, they have always been well recieved and very popular and have rated higher than peugeot in driver surveys. However that aside, I just picked it as an example. A top spec Kuga 180ps in Titanium X trim with AWD is 31k, it's 29.5 in 150ps FWD. So the premium for AWD is not 2-3k it's more like 1k.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Point taken Pinkaardvark.

It would have been about the stability on the missus car. although the roads round here are like a farmers field sometimes..

Grumpy

· Registered
420 Posts
I would not mind it if AWD was standard, but as an option I would never buy it on any car. I'm able to drive up snowy mountains and icy steep roads to my parents with my current FWD Ford Focus, so I have no use for AWD. Also, most of my driving is on motorways, so AWD would cause a lot higher fuel consumtion.

I have only had use for AWD once in my life, and that was when I had offroad driving lessons during my time in the army. Other than that: ground clearance is more important than AWD. And the 3008 got plenty of clearance.

· Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't have paid extra for the AWD, living in North Wales we get a fair bit of flooded roads which the 3008 will cope with no problem, often get muddy roads but not enough to compromise on grip and definitely not enough ice or snow to justify spending extra on AWD

· Administrator
2,124 Posts
Auto express gave the new 3008 a 8.5 out of 10 overall score in a recent issue.

They say, in the negative points, that not having a 4x4 option was why it didn't get 9 out of 10 as 'most' of the competition offer a 4 wd and 'many' customers demand it.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Never understood why so many demand it, because the vast majority of them probably never use it, or drive anywhere that would justify having it.

I went with grip control because I do frequently go off road onto very muddy/slippery surfaces. I also live on a steep hill which is a sod to navigate when snowy or icy. I have found the grip control is a very good substitute.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
I think Peugeot are dead right to emphasise efficiency by way of ruthlessly targeting unnecessary weight.
The other way of looking at it is to take Subaru's obcession WITH AWD/4WD as a point of difference which is fine if you actually need it.
They are locked in to a system which, enthusiasts aside, is no longer seen as necessary and also lumbered with higher fuel consumption.
The 3008 has 220mm ground clearance (I think but difficult to confirm) and with AT type tyres you'd be in serious green lane territory to justify 4WD.
To me 4WD is a fading fad.
But I am OCD about fuel consumption.

· Registered
15,373 Posts
All wheel drive is a very useful thing on any car not just mud pluggers

I have had subarus for many years and its not about going through muddy fields although the subaru can do this rather well its about roadholding as previously mentioned some people want ALL wheel drive which it is not 4 wheel drive there is a difference but we will not go there :)

Subarus fuel consumption is NOT due to the drive system its down to the flat 4 engine design this is the reason for the poor fuel consumption as for the weight a legacy estate weighs about the same as a mondeo estate but handles WAY better and is more reliable.

Grip control is a poor attempt compared to proper all wheel drive as is ESP etc until you have driven a proper all wheel drive car you just wont get the difference.

Peugeot have made all wheel drive cars 205 305 405 504 505 partner and boxer vans etc etc were all available with all wheel drive they were made by a company called dangel and were exceptional vehicles but few were ever sold here due to us not having the need !

land rovers and silly jacked up 4x4 pickups are NOT proper all wheel drive cars they dont count :)

· Registered
420 Posts
ALL wheel drive which it is not 4 wheel drive there is a difference.

land rovers and silly jacked up 4x4 pickups are NOT proper all wheel drive cars they dont count :)
Yes, the difference is called marketing, and Subaru owners seems to be the people that have fallen the most for this :p

I actually had to google it, because we only have one word for it where I'm from and it's a direct translation of four wheel drive. Almost all the results was from websites quoting Subaru or using Subarus as example.

From what I've seen (actually on an official Subaru website) is that 4WD is believed to be manually applied by the driver and is impossible to turn with, and AWD is using a limited slip differential so the driver is able to turn. Also, AWD is, according to Subaru, a system where the driver is not supposed to adjust anything.

The thing is, what Subaru is calling 4WD have something called differential lock (they have had it for decades). When a proper offroad vehicle is pulling on all 4 wheels, the differential lock is not activated. That means you can turn the car just as easily as with a Subaru with AWD. When you need to get out of serious terrain (e.g. mud), you activate the differential lock on all wheels because it makes it easier to get out (and difficult to turn).

However, modern vehicles have something called torque vectoring. You can have it on AWD/4WD vehicles (like the Ford Focus RS) and on 2WD vehicles (like Advanced Grip Control on Peugeot). It's a more advanced version of the old traction control, and the main difference is that TV gives more power to the wheel(s) with most traction, whereas the TC only brakes the spinning wheel.

In other words, if stability in high speeds is the only real reason for having AWD/4WD, then I suggest buying a car with longer wheelbase because longer wheelbase = stability in a straight line :)

· Registered
15,373 Posts
Its not as simple as that there is more to it than having a diff lock or not and i am not swayed by marketing bollox.

I dont buy new cars i buy 10 year old cars and when i bought my first subaru in 2001 i was amazed how good it was since then i have always had 1

In the winter my wife steals it from me as even she can feel the difference and she is not even a petrolhead.

I have also had a 405x4 this was a dangel made all wheel drive 405 estate but it was nowhere near as good as the subaru this is based on real time driving not marketing rubbish.

If i were swayed by marketing i would be driving a german car feeling superior to everyone else on the road :)

My daily driver is a clio mk2 1 of the best small cars ever made and these sold very well due to marketing by nicole and papa but people soon discovered they were very good cars hence the reason there are still so many on the road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.