Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can any one help me, i bought this car in august it lasted 6 weeks, then 1 day it revved itself to bits throwing thick black smoke out and i turned the ignition off straight away, AA took me home said change oil and filter before i start it again, so i have, it is very difficult to start and when it does it throws plumes of white smoke out and runs very lumpy like the timings out or something, it does improve a little as the engine warms up, can anyone tell me what the most likley problem is, i have ran diag myself and so have 2 other people all came back with same codes that was present before the car broke down.
The oil level was very high before i changed it, i was told that it was probably the reason for it revving itself.
Please help i want my car back on the road, thanks tom:(

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
High oil level can be catasrophic for a diesel (although this is not the only reason run on can occur). As the engine will quite happily run on it. As of course, diesel is oil. This can be a problem if your car is having regeneration issues as during a regen extra fuel is injected. If it isn't a successful regen the extra fuel goes in to the sump. Raising it's level and degrading the lubrication/cooling properties of the oil.
Run on, or run away can end very badly. If you did manage to stop it with the ignition you were very lucky. The way a diesel stops is merely by cutting off the fuel supply. If there is crap loads of un metered fuel (oil, of any type) getting in, it will run. For example, it has a failing turbo seal allowing oil past. When you stop the car, the turbo doesn't just stop dead. It slowly winds down. If oil is getting past the turbo seal and being slung in to the combustion chamber, the old lump will keep on running. Ignition on or not.
Usually the only way to stop them is to stall it, or smother the engine air intake.
The heat produced can damage injector tips. Might also be worth checking turbo seals. Oil could be getting in to the combustion chamber that way. Also piston rings can cause it.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Firstly I would ask how long did it rev for and did you stall it or did it stop itself?

How much oil was left when you drained it ?

What engine there is a choice of at least 3 !! each suffers differently some being stronger than others

Codes wont help you need live data codes only tell you what has already happened live data tells you what is happening NOW .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi

thanks for the reply, i am no mechanic and would'nt know where to start, i have had people say that it could be bent valves, head gasket, slipped timing, turbo leak like you said and even fuel pump.
when i bought the car it has a dpf fault ,fuel cap sensor fault and turbo circut high 6 codes altogether, its had cap sensor replaced and dpf fluid and oil and filter changed,
p1434 additive pump fault, it works been tested
p0461 fuel level sensor
p2408 fuel cap sensor (replaced)
0238 turbo a circut high
the codes still remained after the engine failed and no new ones appeared
i am realy looking for a mechanic or peugeot to fix it, but i am trying to find out the worst case senario so i know what its going to cost me, and so i dont get ripped off, it needs the dpf cleaning for a start and i expect peugeot would want to fit a new one but i know they can be cleaned

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hi

how can i tell which engine it is ?? is it on the log book or vin number, it is a 2005 26 september registered, 2ltr hdi 135bhp
i took about 5.5 litres of oil out, it revved for about 5 secs, turned ignition of free wheeled for 100 yds then back on then another 3 secs revving then turned off and left it off, pulled over tried starting it after a few mins and it would'nt turn over, it was like the battery was flat
regards tom

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Ok its an rhr you may be lucky as these are relatively strong and from your description it did not run itself dry

Will NOT be bent valves if it starts fuel pump probably fine head gasket unlikely too

Most likely problem is that when it revved up it threw of a few rockers this is common on this engine.
Problem is you need the injectors out to get the cover off to get at the rockers and this can be difficult !

It is highly likely your turbo is the cause of the initial problem though so this will need looked at too and it is buried at the back of your engine I would expect at least £1000 bill unfortunately :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi

ouch £1000 bit of a sting, but this cars cost me £2000+ , would you recommend Peugeot doing it

·
Registered
548 Posts
I still reckon this could be as a result of a failed regen. Oil capacity is around 5.25ltrs? IIRC and the poster drained around 5.5ltrs. While it may have simply been over filled if we assume it wasn't then the extra 'oil' has to come from somewhere and the most common is a failed regen process when excess diesel can find its way into the sump. If level too high it could cause a 'run-away' engine but also contaminate exhaust resulting in excessive smoking.

What to do now? Well its mentioned its a little rough but improves as it warms. Unless its exceptionally rough/clattery etc I'd dump all oil/filters, new oil & filter, maybe even a can of wynns turbo/dpf cleaner in the fuel and run it.
Its either going to get better after a few decent runs or you may be looking at something more serious.

Ilse of Wight? - does the car get many mainland long runs or is it primarily shorter low speed island journeys? If the latter I would seriously suspect failed regen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts