Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have finally got the time, parts, tools, and access to a ramp tomorrow morning and going to put a few things right on the car, but had a question about one of them....

Had the intermittent (now pretty much permanent) ABS/ESR fault for a good few weeks now, and I've downloaded the instructions from here on how to remove the rust etc to sort it. I was wondering if it's worth putting a coat of primer or something on after I remove all the rust, but before putting the sensor back in to prevent (or slow down) a recurrence or will this cause an issue (or be utterly ineffective).

Also got me a set of Ring DRL's to fit, going to do my damnedest to get them into the "air intakes" on the Irmscher front splitters - other wise they aren't going on - really don't like the look of the cars all over the road with aftermarket DRLs in the radiator grilles.

Third, FINALLY going to fit the AUX in kit I bought from someone on here MONTHS and MONTHS ago.

Last job will be rotating the tyres, and getting the steel wheel off which has been on since the valve failed on Dec 23rd - has taken until yesterday for the valve repair kit to arrive from fleabay).

If I have time, I might put a bit of black paint on the calipers while all the wheels are off, but definitely not a priority heh.

Nowhere near due a service but going to have a decent look at the ball joints while it's in the air.

Anything else you guys think I should check while I have the chance?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I stripped down all of the hubs on my blue 407 when I did the ABS sensor on the front, de rusted and tidied them up (I have rust ocd, any screws/bolts/anything! that is rusty gets removed and cleaned up and painted). Then put on a coat of zinc primer and some black hammerite. I used spray cans for that job though. Didn't fancy slopping crap loads of paint on to stuff where there was a possibility of anything causing a clearance issue. I did however use normal paint on silver hammerite on the calipers and disc hubs.
As for bodged on lights/anything else. I agree with you, just no, if it doesn't look like it came from the factory I wouldn't be having it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the DRL"s on the front spoiler, should look excellent!

What way you plan to wire them up? you know what Pug electrics can be like!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well things didn't all go as planned unfortunately - got the rear ABS rings all clean but it didn't fix it - moved onto the front and the rings are blatently rusty and I have no idea how the hell to get to them, they appear to be inside the hub. Got them as clean as I could (which was pretty clean) but there is a pretty big gap between the ring and sensor on the offside, and it looks like there's a chip or chunk out of the sensor. When I get the chance, I'll stick the Diagbox computer on and see if it comes up with a specific fault :S

Got the tyres rotated, didn't bother painting the calipers, and got the DRL's fitted and they look, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic. The RING drl's I got are dual brightness, and the wiring was simple enough - direct connection to the + and - on the battery, and then a signal wire gets crimped onto the sidelight bulb wiring to dim them when the lights are on. Didn't bring up any problems so I'm happy.

Also put a set of heavy rubber mats in, in preparation for the coming snow/salt etc, and got the Aux input kit fitted. That was a pain in the butt as the wiring called for me to put the earth into a pin which was already in use - ended up just pulling the old wire out (along with its partner) and everything worked - I realised afterwards that the two cables were probably related to the crappy sat nav I buried away when I first got the car.

Pics aren't the best as it was closing on 4pm by the time we got done....

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Those DRL"s in the front spoiler look the bizz, well done.....front end looks as well...if not better than any Audi / Beamer....:thumb:

Cliff

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got a chance to take a better picture today when the sun was kinda sorta thinking about being out :s

Thanks for the comments guys - have to say they look WAY better than I thought they would and I'd go as far as to say they look utterly stock - really no sign of aftermarket (unless you open the bonnet lol).

Now to make up my mind once and for all about an SP Grille - I know trem hates the bloody things heh, and I don't blame him to an extent - the silver ones look really pants (in my opinion) on darker cars - but I'm sure I've seen black ones which MIGHT just finish the nose off nicely...

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well I like it :wedgie:

I am here by launching a campaign to get an sp grill owner on the moderation team as an insider to overthrow trems anti sp grill regime :lol::chase:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually said pants, not shite :p

Your pic confirms it for me - it isn't a look I like - but then again, I'm the guy who had all the rear lights tinted, and is planning on getting his wheels painted grey and who wanted (but in the end accepted it wasn't practical) to have all the chrome on the car tinted down so it wasn't as bright... Not a fan of bling (ironic as I just added the DRL's heh)

Besides, Trem lives like, 6 miles away and you're in the region of 300 so gotta agree with the locals heh

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's fine ;) Maybe a black one would finish the car off nicely?

On second thoughts, that would be accepting defeat, and would be changing a perfectly decent sp grill...

The flight for proportional representation in our ranks continues! :whip:

C

·
0 Posts
I quite like the chrome strips on the black grille like on the xline but only on the horizontal not the vertical bits :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
100% agree with you there, chroming the verticals just makes it look like a big set of teeth. I think most if not all 407's after about 57 plate had the chrome strips on the horizontals too. I did think about getting some chrome strips for the grille, but I kinda want LESS chrome on the car, not more. One of the things I DON'T like about the current grille is that you can see right thru it and see behind it - that's the main reason I'm considering the SP grille

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've been getting ABS and ESP warnings on the dash for a while now. At first, it was intermittent - sometimes coming on as soon as I started the car, sometimes after a mile or more, sometimes not at all. It gradually got more and more frequent and is now constant.

I'm basically hoping from confirmation from PP - if it specifically points to o/s/f sensor, I can be FAIRLY confident that I've identified the problem, otherwise, more work to do :s

There was a crapload of rust on all 4 ABS rings - the rear two are now completely cleaned, the front two, better but not as good (can't believe how hard the damned things are to get to) but the cleaning didn't help - car has been started at least half a dozen times since the cleaning and the warning is still coming on all the time....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Could be the brake switch too. Unless you've already ruled that out. I had that on my blue 407. As soon as I pressed the brakes it would beep.
Then came the saga of the fuckwit who decided his car had massive wing mirrors and thought nothing of running me off the road. Luckily all it suffered was a fooked nsf abs sensor.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How would I go about ruling out the brake switch? The brake lights work when the brake is pressed and go off when it's released.

Or did I just rule it out lol?

I'm now pushing to get it sorted because I'm confident enough in my driving that having "normal" brakes and no traction control doesn't worry me in autumn, but with the really slippy stuff coming soon, I'd rather have it working...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Mine started by behaving perfectly normally with regards the lights. Then after about a month of periodic beeps, I drove home one morning from work with the rear window illuminated like a xmas tree. So I swapped the switch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts