Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407sw 140bhp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Keep failing the emissions test and desperate for help if you can.
Changed glow plugs, air and fuel filter and have done forced regen as well as using system cleaner and decoker additives.

Got emissions down to 0.7 above the 0.51 limit.

Has anyone else had this issue and did you find or can suggest a resolution?

Thanks

·
7,511 Posts
What year is the car

·
7,511 Posts
5 liters of kerosene in half a tank of diesel
That's a good way to damage the HP pump kerosene has very low lubrication properties

·
7,511 Posts
Sounds like DPF has been removed i would expect a car of that year to have one which would keep the figures in check.

You could try blanking egr. Give it an Italian tune up to blow any soot out of the exhaust and take air filter out.

Other than that I have seen it fudged by putting a small jubilee clip on one of turbo actuator vacuum hoses and tightening it up to restrict the vacuum and lower boost when revved but it hard to get it right without putting engine light on

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407sw 140bhp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like DPF has been removed i would expect a car of that year to have one which would keep the figures in check.

You could try blanking egr. Give it an Italian tune up to blow any soot out of the exhaust and take air filter out.

Other than that I have seen it fudged by putting a small jubilee clip on one of turbo actuator vacuum hoses and tightening it up to restrict the vacuum and lower boost when revved but it hard to get it right without putting engine light on

Thanks Windy but fairly sure that the dpf is in place but will check.

·
7,511 Posts
If it is there it's cracked or damaged you should get near zero smoke with a DPF in place.

MY mapped DS 5 2.0 hdi with 132k miles on the clock still gives a zero reading at MOT

·
Registered
407sw 140bhp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is there it's cracked or damaged you should get near zero smoke with a DPF in place.

MY mapped DS 5 2.0 hdi with 132k miles on the clock still gives a zero reading at MOT

Would it be worth me getting it mapped (please excuse my ignorance but is that the whole engine and roughly what would that cost?).
Visually I don't get smoke but the mot tester says it comes in at 0.81 which is over the 0.51 max

·
Registered
988 Posts
Possibly a cracked DPF core. My 407 had the same, blowing black smoke out when revved hard. Replaced the DPF, no smoke at all, even less than when new (replaced with a Delphi Silicon Carbide one). A working DPF should release no smoke, even if the engine is overfuelling like crazy.

Is the exhaust pipe quite sooty? It should be nice and clean with a working DPF!

Oh and NEVER pour in kerosene into your fuel tank, it's poor at lubrication. Only reason you'd use kerosene is cold weather... but then you'd add a lubricant in there too. Kerosene won't clean out your fuel system or anything either.

·
Registered
407sw 140bhp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possibly a cracked DPF core. My 407 had the same, blowing black smoke out when revved hard. Replaced the DPF, no smoke at all, even less than when new (replaced with a Delphi Silicon Carbide one). A working DPF should release no smoke, even if the engine is overfuelling like crazy.

Is the exhaust pipe quite sooty? It should be nice and clean with a working DPF!

Oh and NEVER pour in kerosene into your fuel tank, it's poor at lubrication. Only reason you'd use kerosene is cold weather... but then you'd add a lubricant in there too. Kerosene won't clean out your fuel system or anything either.
Thanks BigK,

Having spoken to a bosch diesel garage he recommended Terraclean treatment (which his garage doesn't do) as he said lack of smoke is unlikely to be the DPF and cleaning that may not be worth it.
Out of interest though how much was a new DPF?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Whoops, my mistake, I, like Windy assumed you were failing with PM!

With a high CO, you'd want to be looking at introducing more oxygen for a complete burn of fuel. Possible reasons is EGR valve is sticking open or I would try Archoil AR6900-D fuel treatment in-case too much fuel is getting into the cylinder. Either that or BASF KEROPUR D. There are a few others which have been tested on the CEC-DW10 test but those two are the easiest ones to get hold of.

Forced regen would do nothing for CO. Neither would glowplugs. Terraclean... It's essentially chucking steam through the engine, in the hope deposits fall off, it would make a minor difference (and for some, that's good enough) but generally in my opinion, it's best to avoid.

I got my DPF cheap.... too cheap to pass up, so I replaced it even though my old DPF passed an MOT and wouldn't blow out loads of smoke... only realised after the old one was cracked! Generally it's around £120 - 170 and fitting is dead simple.

·
7,511 Posts
They don't test co on a diesel only smoke levels

1 - 16 of 16 Posts