Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I've not been around here for a while due to ill-health, but I've got a real problem (entirely of my own doing!) with the tailgate on my 2007 407sw. Last week, returning from a shopping trip, I drove into my garage, opened the tailgate and unloaded the shopping. Then I went for a cup of tea. Afterwards, I needed to reverse the car back out of the garage, but failed to notice I'd forgotten to close the tailgate. The garage doorway is quite low and has a concrete lintel above it. You can guess the rest.
Actually, on first glance there appeared no real damage, but when it wouldn't close I realised it had been bent inwards very slightly and the locking catch was no longer engaging, missing the bar it was supposed to engage with by about a centimeter. I tried getting inside and using my feet to force it back into position but it wouldn't budge.
I think my only option is a garage repair, but I'm guessing they'll just say it needs a new tailgate at an exorbitant price. If I were thirty years younger I'd have a go at fitting a s/h one from a scrappy, but that's beyond my capabilities these days.
I just wondered if anyone else had a similar happening, (I've proved it's easily done!) and could share their experience of sorting it?

·
3,035 Posts
Hi....you could try and place a bit of wood in the top of the door where the door closes and gently close the taigate onto the wood and lean on it gently...it wont need much....i used the same method om doors the had been caught by the wind,,gl

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be a great idea. Unfortunately, the bottom of the tailgate is bent inwards and needs forcing out. It's much more difficult to get any leverage on it in that direction.

·
5,071 Posts
Think a photo would help in this case so we can see where its bent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's not much to see. At first glance the tailgate looks fine. It took me a while to figure out why it wouldn't close, and where the damage appeared to be. I'll try and get some relevant images tomorrow and upload them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to have been a while getting back. I've been talking to Peugeot and their advice has been not to try and reshape the tailgate as it's almost impossible given the strengthening struts on the door and would never seal again properly. I've also spoken to my insurance and I'm covered for a replacement door, all bar the policy excess, so I've decided to take that route.
Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'm now waiting for a quote from Peugeot to pass on to the insurance. When I see it I think I'll be very happy it's not me paying the bill!!!

·
5,071 Posts
I suspect they may write your car off for this!!!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

·
3,035 Posts
Hi...you say its missing the lock by about a 1/16th of an inch....down the sides of the door are 2 adjustable stops...screw those in a bit....or pop round for some independant advise.....(dealers...PAHH...)Talk about looking for work...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish it were just 1/16th inch! No, the lock is coming down a good 3/4 inch in front of the metal retaining loop and striking the metal strip that runs across the back of the boot. I agree with you about dealers. I live in France and they're no better here than in the UK. If they do try and write it off I'll tell them to get stuffed and find a small, independent garage that find a s/h one for me and fit it. I'd prefer new, though, as the car's only done 100,000 kms from new and is immaculate. It's a top-of-the-range car with every possible extra so I've no intention of giving it up.

·
3,035 Posts
Hi...sorry my metric conversion was poor.....shame popping over is not an option..I know what you mean about keeping the car ..my swgt has lots of bells and I wont give it up without a fight....good luck ..keep us posted...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts