Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there
I have bought my very first car for not a long time ago, after some time it had firstly developed an issue where it would pop the nr8 fuse which is responsible for the starter solenoid. Sometimes the starter would spin without engaging with the flywheel. I have replaced the starter motor for a brand new one. The issue remains the same, but the fuse nr8 is not popping any more. Push starting the car is an option and I had to do that a few times already.

Symptoms: nothing happening when turning the key, even if the car was running for an hour before that - assuming the battery isn't dead. No real template for this issue, its completely random.

I have read some threads on this website but nothing would really help.

I did scan the car for error codes with the lexia and diagbox and i've got those which might have something to do with the issue:
P1166 - fuel pressure regulator control
P1694 - Reawakening of the ECU controlled remotely
P0462 - CAN communications

Mileage: 137230 (220850 km)

I am no skilled mechanic but I definetely know that an old peugeot is not a suitable car for someone with two left hands.

Sincerely Walter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The assumption was apparently wrong, I've been told by the previous owner that the battery was replaced not a long time ago and it looks kinda fresh too. But even before trying to crank the engine the voltage drops to 11.8. Is it normal for Peugeot's to not even attempt to crank at that voltage?

Edit 1>
Tried with another battery which was also in used condition, this one had more cca and greater capacity and was at around 12.5v before cranking but still nothing when turning the key, just a relay clicking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Walter!

In Peugeot / Citroen, something very common when the battery is discharged or old, is that it begins to give errors, example PROBLEM WITH THE AIRBAG, PROBLEM WITH THE ESP, PROBLEM WITH THE ABS.
Another example that the battery is old, is that when you start it, the information like time / date will be reset.

When you start the car and the battery only goes down to 11.8v it doesn't seem to be the problem.
Check if the battery and cable connectors are free of rust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Walter!

In Peugeot / Citroen, something very common when the battery is discharged or old, is that it begins to give errors, example PROBLEM WITH THE AIRBAG, PROBLEM WITH THE ESP, PROBLEM WITH THE ABS.
Another example that the battery is old, is that when you start it, the information like time / date will be reset.

When you start the car and the battery only goes down to 11.8v it doesn't seem to be the problem.
Check if the battery and cable connectors are free of rust.
Hello again.

The issue is not the battery, I had another car running and I've connected the batteries with some really fat wires but still no change. Battery connectors are free of rust. Also the starter solenoid gets 12v when turning the key but it doesnt click.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Your issue is most likely the relay in the fusebox as the fact it is clicking does not mean its actually switching the power properly you may need to replace the fusebox

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Walter,
This is one of the most common faults on ALL cars, not just PSA, as some imply.
FAULTY EARTH.
Take a jump lead connect it to the Negative pole of your battery to a clean part of the engine and try to start it. If it works you can say it is a bad Earth.
Find your Earth connections to the Gearbox and Engine, remove them and clean them and both securing points for each with fine WET n DRY.
If this doesn't work there is another possibility.
A poor installation, caused by the tollerances in the size of the bolt holes.
Loosen the three bolts securing, do not take them out fully, the starter, pull it as far away from the engine block as you can and re-tighten the bolts, but not fully. Try the starter again, if the engine spins or starts, switch off and tighten bolts to correct torque. Retry to confirm still working.
Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again.
So after some investigation I can confirm that the new starter motor failed. The solenoid was stuck in closed position and the motor exploded on the inside. Thats a bummer.
Solution: Cleaning the old starter motor solenoid, sanded the cylinder part aswel and applied engine oil for less friction + Changnig the 20A nr8 fuse to a 25A did the trick.
Still it will not start 100% of the times when turning the key, but i hear the solenoid clicking and the fuse isn't blowing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts