Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Anybody else have a 407 with automatic windscreen wipers with a mind of their own?

I monitored them noting that they go slow then fast then slow then rapid. Drives me crazy. Thought it might be when it rains harder they go faster but that isn't the case.

G

·
I know on a 307 they slow down when you stop at the lights, then carry on at normal speed when you start moving again

Its not this that you are noticing is it!? :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rich - thanks for the reply.

No, it isn't that. I can be doing the same speed and they slow and go fast. Just wondered whether anybody else had this problem. I suppose I should be thankful that they work.

Thanks again.

G

·
Hi Millie....

Hasyour car ever had a replacement front windscreen?

Check the etchings on the glass and see if they are all the same make....infact they may say peugeot on them.

I have seen many auto sensors not being refitted properly to a replacement screen. The sensors can be tricky... and not just on Peugeots...

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 407 mad - didn't know that about the sensor. Just seems strange as if they are having a mini fit now and again.

Hello David... good to hear from you. Not sure whether it has had a replacement screen. The car and body is beautiful - not a mark anywhere. I'll check the etchings and get back to you.

I might even have a go at posting a pic if you are interested:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
my 407 does exactly the same, ive had the car from new and its the original screen, i did queerie this myself withy the dealer when i first got it, they said its normal, but still did a comparison with other 407s while i watced and they all did the same

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks again

I would have loved to go out and check things out but Noah has just gone past in his arc - we are flooding - not in the bungalow though - thankfully. My pussycats have just learned to swim;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David..

I have checked the windscreen. It does have an etching on it. It has the logo symbol and the word 'guardian' then a couple of numbers. Do you recon this is the original then?

Would have loved to have taken a pic but poor baby needs a bath. It has been persisting it down here for the past couple of days. I take her for a bath once a week usually.

I've just seen a pug 607 or was it 609? not sure now, bigger car still but not sure whether I like the shape of it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me again.

Forgot to say - even though this isn't the right place. Just read your joke on the 3 men training their wives to clean the house. I'll tell you, The neighbours at the top of the crescent could here me howling. My eyes were streaming. Fantastic.

Well done Scottish ladies - reminds me a bit of me 'hit with frying pan first - ask questions later':nod: ;)

G

·
Hi there

Glad you appreciated the joke - I do like a laugh. I just hope we dont end up getting sensored, as there are a few close to the "PC" bone...

If you have a look at the sensor, you will see it stuck on the glass. Please check and see if the "attachment" of it looks tidy and of consistant "finish" ie no funny looking crazing or anything.

The sensors are usually attatched to the glass (on 99% of cars, not just peugeots) by a sticky pad made of a gell type adhesive. Often these pads get reused when the screen is changed and as a result the fit of the actuial sensor is not perfect.

If the sensor looks uniform and not "glued" onto the glass, its probably done correctly.

The gell pad needs to transmit the light back into the sensor, so when there is rain on the glass, the sensor "sees" the difference. If the pad is gubbed it will nbever ""see" properly.

It it looks ok to you eye, then its probably just the way it is....

Better buy a BMW next time, eh?

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eh??? BMW??? trying to lower me are you? Gawd, never think of buying one of those tonker toys.

Not sure about what you are asking. Tomorrow, I will go have a look at the pads - beit gell or otherwise.

I am very thankful that you are so helpful. thanks again

Have a lovely Friday night - mine started three hours ago. Second bottle of wine on the way:letsprty:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"If you have a look at the sensor, you will see it stuck on the glass. Please check and see if the "attachment" of it looks tidy and of consistant "finish" ie no funny looking crazing or anything."

Had a look at the screen and about 9" down in the center of the screen is a small area about 2" square. In the center of that area are what appear to be LED's and the area around those LED's isnt uniform it does appear to be ,as you say, crazed as if it isn't stuck down properly. If this is the problem whats the solution? :confused:

G

·
Hi Millie

Yes, that is probably a major factor affecting reliability, if not the 100% cure.

On most cars, the pad that attaches the sensor is usually a couple of quid, so worth changing - not much to loose.

Even if it improves it, its worth the time and few quid.

Having said that, its a couple of quid out of the wine fund....:mad:

David

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
BestGear said:
Hi Millie

Yes, that is probably a major factor affecting reliability, if not the 100% cure.

On most cars, the pad that attaches the sensor is usually a couple of quid, so worth changing - not much to loose.

Even if it improves it, its worth the time and few quid.

Having said that, its a couple of quid out of the wine fund....:mad:

David
By the sounds of Millie that could be the sticking point.:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:rofl:

Couple of quid out of the wine fund:eek: that's just disbuggerous!

Well, actually, we make our own 5 gallon drums at a time - hic. No need to pour into a bottle - just need one long straw dipped in:p

Hi Betty - hope your problem has eased now that the temps have dropped:p

Will go spend my couple of quid and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks guys.

G

·
Ah, the days of 5 gallon wine drums etc... was good fun.

Think I started to earn more money and got lazy... and joined a wine club.

Now I'm "older" (not *that* old...) and kids... and now have no money again... hence I only drive a wee 1.4 diesel.... :(

Anyway - Millie - you know where we are if you need someone to abuse.

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
David.....

I am sure you were only joking when you said abuse..... I am only having a laugh.:D

I was really glad to find this forum and especially have a couple of people who seem to be regularly their to help out.:nod:

I have seen your gorgious car David - parked outside your garage next to your better half. So don't tell me you have no money honey - you just have too much if you can afford that and the other and the other.....;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts