Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has only done 60,ooo ks, and every 5 or 6 months another coils stops working and I'm up for an expensive repair...again.

Is there an improved coil to replace the dubious originals?

Or any other suggestion to remedy this ongoing problem and expense would be appreciated.

I love the car in all other respects, but boy am I getting fed up with the coil problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would be checking the wiring to the coil packs to see if they are rubbing on the engine and causing a short,

I have the same car 2005 3.0 and never had that problem at all mines garaged most of the time so damp doesn't get in there.

G

·
It's common on the 2.9 (it's not a 3.0, despite how Pug market it) V6. There are 2 different designs of coils, Marelli and Siemans (or something like that) and one other other is famous for being hideously unreliable on any model with this engine.

Alas, the coils are not cross compatible so you can't swap in the more reliable ones. Unfortunately, it's a piece of s**t design and there's no way around it.

G

·
The cut off point is each 50cc. So 2946cc would be 2.9, whereas 2955 would be classed as 3 litre. Same way the 1360 pug lumps are classed as 1.4, but were they 1349 they would be 1.3s. It's a convention agreed upon by the ICME as far back as the 1960s if memory serves. The engine designation is ES9, so under PSAs own engine nomenclature the engineers call it. 2.9.

The only reason insurers class it as a 3 litre, is because that's what pug call it. If pug called it "the 407 horse and cart" then so would the insurers, depsite it obviously being petrol and not equine powered.

Did you know it was also developed as a 3.3, but the larger engine was dropped as Renault pulled out due to new found engine arrangements under Nissan ownership, and as petrol engine sales decreased? See, a mine of useless tat me.

Oh yeah, poor bloke'll have to keep buying coils when they pop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts