Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Guys
I have just joined and am a virgin poster. Have a 2006 407 V6 2.7 HDi diesel and am a little concerned regarding the correct engine oil to use.

I see that Peugeot recommend Total INEO EMS but Total oils are very hard to find in Australia. Shell Helix Ultra Extra is readily available but I cannot find out if Shell is the correct oil. What does EMS indicate ?? I don't know if this is the only one available. This is the link to my local supplier for anyone who can assist.

A little surprised at the cost of oil in the UK because we think that $76 dollars here (41 GBPounds) is very expensive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/oils-and-lubes/engine-oils/synthetic-oils.aspx?id=60104&brand=Shell

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there, I've tjust bought a 407 Coupe 2.7hdi myself, a 2009 model. Previously I had a 406 Coupe 2.2hdi and the oil recommend for that car had an odd specification, there were only 2 main suppliers in the UK that sold oil meeting that spec and one was Castrol Edge for turbo diesel engines. Hope that helps, if you find out anything different, paste a reply.

Regards Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, I've tjust bought a 407 Coupe 2.7hdi myself, a 2009 model. Previously I had a 406 Coupe 2.2hdi and the oil recommend for that car had an odd specification, there were only 2 main suppliers in the UK that sold oil meeting that spec and one was Castrol Edge for turbo diesel engines. Hope that helps, if you find out anything different, paste a reply.

Regards Ian
Hi Ian
Hope you are happy with your car. Peugeot Australia say that they only recommend Total Quartz Ineo ECS (Not MC3) for this engine. They would of course Total is a French company !! This oil is also prescribed by PSA the UK manufacturers of the engine. Regrettably Total is hard (but not impossible to find here) very small representation at the moment so it looks like I will be using this oil from now on. Maybe you should talk to Peugeot UK or PSA (I think they are built at Ford in Dagenham) for their advice.

Anything different please post a reply
Regards
Michael

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looking at the service handbook it states for Hdi FAP engines use oil complying to ACEA standards:-

Semi synthetic 10w40w A3/B4
Synthetic. 5w40w. A3/B4
Synthetic Anti Pollution 5w30w C2

They say they the Anti pollution oil is strongly recommended for engines with a particle filter.

So as long as the oil you choose meets the ACEA standards they quote it must be OK. They also have a viscosity table depending upon ambient temperatures.

Hope this helps.

Ian

·
Registered
111 Posts
oil

Hi currawong if your car is fitted with a paticulate filter you should use a low sats oil as it helps a lot with keeping the filter clean.pete407sw.:thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Further to my message below, i went to the Castrol Web sites and entered my registration number and they recommend their Magnatec 5W-30 C2 oil, which is a low pollution oil. So that's the one I'll try and get over here in the UK, a C2 specification oil.

Regards Ian.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up to my previous question .. I am now convinced that Peugeot Australia are only recommending Total oils because both are French companies and that most other oil manufacturers offer oils which are just as good. I think that as long as they meet the C2 ASEA low saps specifications we should be fine.
Thanks for all your help
Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michael, I agree with final summary.
Hi Ian
We sell an Australian manufactured oil called Penrite which has been around since about 1926 .. has a great reputation and just noticed that they have a UK address. I can purchase 5 litres for around AUD 50 (27 GBP) which is very reasonable .. here is the link if you are interested
Regards
Michael

Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for that info Michael, the price here mail order including £5 carriage costs is £55 for the Enviro 5W30, and £34 for the Enviro 5W40.

Strange that the 5W30 is quite a bit more expensive, but it does have a slightly different specification.

Penrite do some really interesting oils for older classic and vintage engine's. When I get my two old motorcycles going I'll certainly consider using Penrite oil. The nearest stockist to me is some 35 miles away, when I'm next passing I'll call in and get some, or just mail order and pay the postage supplement.

Thanks again Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ian .. Don't forget that the Enviro + is not the same as Enviro + DL-1
Here

Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

The DL-1 is the oil specifically approved by Peugeot for the PSA engine in your car .. probably why it is more expensive

A shame that you have to pay nearly twice as much as me for the same product !!

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
114 Posts
Further to my earlier reply, here is a link to supplier, listing all their C2 oils, so quite a few choices available.

ACEA C2.

Regards Ian

·
Registered
325 Posts
Further to my message below, i went to the Castrol Web sites and entered my registration number and they recommend their Magnatec 5W-30 C2 oil, which is a low pollution oil. So that's the one I'll try and get over here in the UK, a C2 specification oil.

Regards Ian.
I owned a 407 2.7 HDi SW GT a couple of years ago. When the local Peugeot main dealer serviced it they actually quoted on the invoice that they'd used Magnatec oil.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It certainly looks like a C2 spec oil needs to be used. I've only had my Coupe for a few weeks it was serviced by the dealer (not a Peugeot Dealer) but I bet they used a standard oil. I'll change it soon.

Ian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not sure if this helps? I only quickly read the posts. I use Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. It's ACEA C2 minimum so is DPF safe for my 2.7 HDi.

Expensive stuff but the detergents in the oil will keep that engine clean and trap soot etc.

Unfortunately i am a believer of using a good quality oil. It is the blood of the engine. Pretty much all oils have to conform to minimum standards, and when tested they do. But i think the Mobil comes with more detergents etc. Recommended on Bob is that oil guy!!

I used to use Mobil ESP in my old Passat 1.8T which was notorious for sludge issues. I never had sludge, or any trace of sludge and that engine used to get "used"!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Savs for you comments.

I think that Ian B would be interested in this link you mentioned to Bob the Oil Man .. it really is interesting reading especially from pages 3 on regarding synthetic oils .. they are obviously the way to go for less engine wear crucially if you live in a cold climate (thank goodness I don't .. left that behind years ago !).

Bob mentions many US brand oils which are not available in all countries and as I have said before as long as you use the recommended specification oil and maybe change it more regularly than the manufacturer says your engine should give you many years of trouble free motoring.

Here is the link

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

Thanks guys and have a great day (or night depending on where you live .. It's 0700 here at the moment)

Michael

·
Registered
114 Posts
That oil article was very interesting, certainly improved my knowledge of oil specification and performance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah. That BITOG site has taught me a thing or two about oil! How it will break down and degrade. How it will clean an engine. How it will trap soot carbon deposits etc.

The thing is to use the grade of oil as stated by vehicle manufacturer. Not the make, the grade. e.g 5w30 ACEA C2 etc. At least then you can't go wrong.

But - using long life oil change intervals if your pushing the engine all the time is no good!!
20k between oil change is ok if you are a soft driver, low- medium revs on motorway.
It's not ok with short journeys. Its not ok with constant high revs - especially if you have a turbo as the oil is being worked hard and is being cooked!! On those occasions, shorten the oil change.

Mineral oil is ok but breaks down quicker by all accounts. And this was the issue with VW owners, especially in the US. They changed their oil from fully synthetic to mineral at different grades!! And the Passats had a small oil sump. (I've got 4.5ltrs in my head?) So the 1.8 turbo, driven spirited, on mineral oil used to sludge up! If they stuck to 10-12k oil change with fully synthetic they would have been ok.

And no need for oil additives. Just good quality synthetic will be fine. I'll be changing mine next month. Suck it out via oil dipstick tube. No new filter this time. About 8k since last change.

I'm rambling on again.........

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah. That BITOG site has taught me a thing or two about oil! How it will break down and degrade. How it will clean an engine. How it will trap soot carbon deposits etc.

The thing is to use the grade of oil as stated by vehicle manufacturer. Not the make, the grade. e.g 5w30 ACEA C2 etc. At least then you can't go wrong.

But - using long life oil change intervals if your pushing the engine all the time is no good!!
20k between oil change is ok if you are a soft driver, low- medium revs on motorway.
It's not ok with short journeys. Its not ok with constant high revs - especially if you have a turbo as the oil is being worked hard and is being cooked!! On those occasions, shorten the oil change.

Mineral oil is ok but breaks down quicker by all accounts. And this was the issue with VW owners, especially in the US. They changed their oil from fully synthetic to mineral at different grades!! And the Passats had a small oil sump. (I've got 4.5ltrs in my head?) So the 1.8 turbo, driven spirited, on mineral oil used to sludge up! If they stuck to 10-12k oil change with fully synthetic they would have been ok.

And no need for oil additives. Just good quality synthetic will be fine. I'll be changing mine next month. Suck it out via oil dipstick tube. No new filter this time. About 8k since last change.

I'm rambling on again.........
for the price of a filter I always fit a new one on every oil change, I do mine every 6k.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts